1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by RamNYC, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Well-Known Member

Anyone tried Ramback Balkan or Turkish blend? Apparently it's the closest one can get to the legendary Balkan Sobranie.

Feedback would be appreciated.

2. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Well-Known Member

if people want to smoke, knock yourself out. i don't smoke cigs, but i do not agree with the smoking bans for restaraunts and bars. if you don't want to smell smoke, don't go to those places. find a non-smoking place.

3. kopah

kopah Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... and I hope this doesn't just create more drama... but this is a question about cigarettes as they relate to style:

Do "preppy" guys smoke, and if so, what brand? Specifically wondering about the kind of guys depicted here:

http://www.unabashedlyprep.com/site/damned-dapper/

TIA.

4. insomb

insomb Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... and I hope this doesn't just create more drama... but this is a question about cigarettes as they relate to style:

Do "preppy" guys smoke, and if so, what brand? Specifically wondering about the kind of guys depicted here:

http://www.unabashedlyprep.com/site/damned-dapper/

TIA.

Who cares?

5. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

I smoked a cigarette through a pineapple today, it was amazing.

6. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Well-Known Member

gauloises ftw. if you cant find these french bastards get some camel crushies

7. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

The only reason I care about smoking at all is because it contributes to medical costs getting higher which affects me, a non-smoker.

Personally I don't care if someone chooses to accelerate their own death as long as they pay for the whole process ...

8. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

The only reason I care about smoking at all is because it contributes to medical costs getting higher which affects me, a non-smoker.

Personally I don't care if someone chooses to accelerate their own death as long as they pay for the whole process ...

they allready do, especially if you factor in pensions.. look up a study on the social cost of smoking by tilburg university..

9. hamish5178

hamish5178 Well-Known Member

I am currently in Vienna for a month, and was wondering if any of you had any reccomendations of cigarettes to try while here. I was all excited to get here and try Galouises, but the blondes (full-flavor, blue box) dissapointed me. I think I will get some Brunes tomorrow when the store is open (the unfiltered variety).

Anything else that they don't have in America? Besides the flavored nonsense.

Also, where can I find Nat Shermans or Dunhill? I have never seen them anywhere but the internet. Duty free shops in Heathrow?

10. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Well-Known Member

i like gauloise reds alot

11. uhurit

uhurit Well-Known Member

I am currently in Vienna for a month, and was wondering if any of you had any reccomendations of cigarettes to try while here. I was all excited to get here and try Galouises, but the blondes (full-flavor, blue box) dissapointed me. I think I will get some Brunes tomorrow when the store is open (the unfiltered variety).

Anything else that they don't have in America? Besides the flavored nonsense.

Also, where can I find Nat Shermans or Dunhill? I have never seen them anywhere but the internet. Duty free shops in Heathrow?

Definitely try red or blue Dunhills...make sure they aren't some eastern block sheet but made in UK or Switzerland. Should be easy to find. Also, try Swiss made Rothmans, a bit more character than Dunhill

12. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Well-Known Member

Do "preppy" guys smoke, and if so, what brand?
    TIA.

Yes, they do. But they don't come from Canada.

13. hamish5178

hamish5178 Well-Known Member

I bought a red pack of Dunhills today, they are fantastic. My lady bought a pack of Djarum Black Cigarettes, which are a lot better than the ones we have at home in the US (the 12-pack, cigarillo ones).

What to try next. . .

14. uhurit

uhurit Well-Known Member

-State Express 555
    -Rothmans
    -John Players
    -Benson & Hedges (...nothing like the brand in the US)
    -Sobranie Black Russian...most luxurious and somewhat pretensious
    ...and for french cigs that would kill a horse: Gitanes and my favorite, Gauloises (both with filter, naturally)

15. monkfish

monkfish Member

Nat shermans are pretty smooth.

16. Strombollii

Strombollii Well-Known Member

I bought a red pack of Dunhills today, they are fantastic. My lady bought a pack of Djarum Black Cigarettes, which are a lot better than the ones we have at home in the US (the 12-pack, cigarillo ones).

What to try next. . .

Jesus, I want a real Black. Stupid laws.

For the OP, god knows how long ago, I used to smoke Camel Crush Menthols or Marlboro Menthols (I did my damndest to defy the "only blacks smoke minty shit" stereotype). Was slowly switching to Marlboro Lights/American Spirit Lights before I quit. Was smoking just around a pack/day. Would probably go back if I knew I could smoke socially without legitimately becoming addicted.

17. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

Anyone know where to find Lucky Strikes? They don't even have a website.

18. kopah

kopah Member

Good ol' unfiltered Lucky Strikes in the soft pack are still relatively widely available. I picked up a pack in January at a gas station near Waterloo, NY. They were about $8.50.

19. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

Good ol' unfiltered Lucky Strikes in the soft pack are still relatively widely available. I picked up a pack in January at a gas station near Waterloo, NY. They were about $8.50.
    Maybe it's just my area. I even have a hard time finding American Spirits.

20. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just my area. I even have a hard time finding American Spirits.
    For Strikes you have to ask place by place and time by time. I know a store her in College Station didn't even know they had lucky strikes until I pointed them out to them. Edit: shit'll be harsh on your lungs if you smoke spirits . Are you still smoking simply for the sake of smoking?