1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Church's Sahara vs Alden Suede Chukka

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Alcibiades, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

2. __CB__

__CB__ Well-Known Member

Navy Church's look the nicest of that lot. I have a pair of Sahara's (but with crepe sole), very comfortable boot that I doubt you'll have any regrets with.

3. Motorsport226

Motorsport226 Well-Known Member

Navy Church's look the nicest of that lot. I have a pair of Sahara's (but with crepe sole), very comfortable boot that I doubt you'll have any regrets with.

+1, those navy Church's are amazing.

4. Alcibiades

I'm looking for a pair that I could wear with wool pants (grey) on a casual spring / summer Friday as well as with jeans on the weekend... Do you feel your Sahara's wit the crepe sole fit the bill? I feel the crepe confines them to casual wear (which is fine for Clark's pricing, but seems less so for $340)

5. Agape

Agape Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a pair that I could wear with wool pants (grey) on a casual spring / summer Friday as well as with jeans on the weekend... Do you feel your Sahara's wit the crepe sole fit the bill? I feel the crepe confines them to casual wear (which is fine for Clark's pricing, but seems less so for $340)

I'm looking at the same shoe and have the same concern.

6. slappy

slappy Well-Known Member

7. bbhewee

bbhewee Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the same shoe and have the same concern.

To me the Sahara is the most elegant out of all the shoes here. They exist in both leather and crepe sole versions as well, so if you're concerned about the crepe sole being too casual, you could go for the leather ones.

8. London

London Well-Known Member

Church's look better.

9. Alcibiades

After a couple of months with the Church's Sahara, I'm happy with the purchase. It's a stretch to wear the crepe sole version with grey wool pants but I wear them with khakis and a dress shirt on casual fridays at the office, along with raw denim

I went with the "maracca" brown, but Leffot has added a navy version as well

http://blog.leffot.com/wp-content/up...5/DSC_0074.jpg

10. ppllzz

ppllzz Well-Known Member

church's are the bond shoe from the latest movie

11. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Well-Known Member

Does anybody know how the Church's Sahara fit compared to the Alden unlined suede chukka (leydon last)? I have the aldens in a 9.5d.

12. hossoso

hossoso Well-Known Member

Church's, though I think the Alden might be the better shoe overall and is beautiful; Church's wins for aesthetic reasons.

13. laughter95

laughter95 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the church's but I just got the alden unlined dark brown in leydon. Most important thing is the fit. Make sure that these shoes for correctly and that they don't slide too much in the heel. This shoe is more likely to slide since there's just two eyelets.

Another thing to consider is that the alden's have a flex welt sole which has a metal shank in it for support. I really enjoy this on the heel strike of the step. Wish my crockett jones had this.

iiut would definitely consider it if I had a local store to try on the churches.

14. mattt

mattt Well-Known Member

Those Navy Church's look amazing.

15. Pengranger

Pengranger Well-Known Member

I just picked up a pair of the Church's... A great pair of boots, and on discount from Kurt Geiger...

[​IMG]

16. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

Reviving this old thread--I'm considering suede chukkas for the summer and others must be as well.

People have spoken highly of the Sahara but where are those who favor the Alden suede chukkas w/the flex welt? Has anybody worn or tried both? I have the Sahara on a crepe sole and like it very much, but I need a Sand suede and may try the Alden's.

Price considerations aside, what are the best attributes of each?

17. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Well-Known Member

I'll second all of those questions.

Did you end up getting the Aldens? I'm considering these beautiful Church's chukkas, one in sand and one in Maracca (from Frans Boone).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on how these compare with Aldens?

Who carries Church's?

18. Trapp

Trapp Well-Known Member

The aldens are on my list but I still need to try them on. I have high arches and I'm not sure the leydon last will even work with my feet.

Of the church's pictured I love the sand pair with the brick sole. I like the other color but might prefer it w/their leather sole option. In general, I really like the church's upper a lot, a bit moreso than the Aldens. But I prefer Alden's flex-welt sole.

Not sure where you can get the church's.

19. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

I thought this thread might be ripe for renewal...

I'm also interested in the Church Ryder (crepe sole). My issue is that my feel are generally between a US size 12.5D and 13D. I have owned the Church Perth in a UK 12F and found them unbearable - I had to give them away in the end. I spoke with Herring Shoes who carry a UK 12F, 12G and 13F. The Perth was the 73 Last while the Ryder is the 81. Herring told me that while the 73 is shorter, it has a fuller toe box, and that a wider size would help - they suggested I went for the US size 12G. I'm thinking I might want to go for the UK 13F though...

For reference, I wear the RL Marlow wingtip in US 13D and it fits very well.

If I'm going to order these from the UK I want to make sure I get the sizing right. Any help and hints on sizing would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!