1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Church's Consul - shape of toe box vs American makes of cap toe balmorals

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by electronicsjunkie, Aug 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. electronicsjunkie

electronicsjunkie Active Member

I just received a pair of Church's Consuls by mail order and the shape of the toe box struck me in a way that it didn't when I tried them on in a Church's store. It appears a bit squarer (and makes the whole shoe look a bit longer) than several American makes of cap toe balmorals (Alden, Allen Edmonds, Johnston and Murphy Georgetowns). Not as exaggerated as C&J Hallam, which I didn't like and didn't fit me (Connaught didn't fit either).

My questions - is the Consul shape universally appropriate for business? And, is the shape likely to endure well for the long run (see: Kenneth Cole square toe shoes, admittedly a caricature to make the point). My primary use of them would be with suit and tie in a conservative work environment (finance), and perhaps sometimes with dress slacks (not ideal for balmorals I know). Maybe I'm just conditioned to a rounder/pointier shape by years of wearing American shoes.

2. Macallan

Macallan Well-Known Member

Yes. Stop over-thinking about it.

It is the 'go to' shoe in the Church's range, for a conservative business environment.