1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Chukka, chelsea and monk strap boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mg428, Jun 12, 2008.

1. mg428

mg428 Well-Known Member

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Any of the three would be perfectly acceptable for just about the entire range of business casual. I don't see any major differences in formality/dressiness between the three.

As for wearing with a suit, some of it would depend on the suit. They might look a little heavy or unbalanced with the typical lightweight worsted business suit. They would probably also not be the wisest choices if an extremely conservative business look was wanted. In other words, I wouldn't choose one as a substitute for the Allen-Edmonds Park Avenue in black. In a number of environments, though, I would deem them okay with a suit. Others may disagree with me. This is only my $.02, and that's about all it's worth.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

For the most part, I'm with Jan on the comparative formality, though I don't think I'd wear a monk boot or most chukkas with a suit. Of your three selections, the only one I'd pair with a suit is the chelsea. The monk boot has a high-gloss finish (in addition to being a monk boot), and the chukka is very round-toed. The chelseas, on the other hand, are much sleeker and more refined.

Chelseas look great with slim suits, in particular. They're not for the dressiest of events, but fantastic otherwise.

4. mg428

mg428 Well-Known Member

How about side gussets? Do you think that they make a boot really a lot casual?

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Interestingly, the Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, wore a pair of side-gusset chelsea boots in black by RM Williams to his meeting with the Japanese emperor and empress a day or two ago.

6. Crowlin

Crowlin Member

7. Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Nico Samuel Pleninsek Well-Known Member

For the price of those Chelsea's you might as well go RMW.

8. Rebel_5

Rebel_5 Well-Known Member

The Peal chealseas are stunning. I like the look even more than the Polo chealseas I own now--which I do wear with suits. Chukkas are I think too casual for suits, but look great with flannels, tweeds, cords or chinos. I'm looking at picking up a pair in suede soon.

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member