• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chuck Taylors: White or off-white?

Brigden

Reaction score
So, my little brother wants a new pair of Chuck Taylor's for Christmas. I ask him which colour and he says "white." I go to a Foot Locker, or whatever, and they have two pairs in two shades of "white." One is bright white, like a sheet of paper; the other, off-white.

Which is cooler? I personally preferred the bright white.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The off white chucks are called "white". The ones that are just uniform white are "optical white".

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I have optical white. But in the spring I am going to get the (natural) white as well.

AA tee, raw denim, and chucks is an awesome look for spring/summer.

CDC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brigden
So, my little brother wants a new pair of Chuck Taylor's for Christmas. I ask him which colour and he says "white." I go to a Foot Locker, or whatever, and they have two pairs in two shades of "white." One is bright white, like a sheet of paper; the other, off-white.

Which is cooler? I personally preferred the bright white.

The off-white ones will go with more. Stark white is a difficult 'color' to work with. Stark white also looks worse when it gets scuffed and whatnot. The off-white will handle stains and spots better; the marks wont jump out as much.

dougie

Reaction score
yeah, 'optical white' is the bright white, 'unbleached canvas' is the off-white. white t, raw denim, and unbleached chucks is like my base outfit. i just build off of that.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go with the unbleached standard white ones. Optical white is a little too metro or poser skater.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the bright white, then I wash them in the washing machine 2x with bleach. It cuts the brightness but they look better to me than the off white.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the yellowed white; they're going to get dirty anyway, and i would imagine that the yellowed white would look more "natural" when they are dirty.

brycep

Reaction score
I'm a fan of my optical whites, though the first dirt marks stood out like hideous blemishes. Luckily they're cheap so i'll just buy another pair come summer...

progressiveminded

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brycep
Luckily they're cheap so i'll just buy another pair come summer...

I wish. Forty bucks a pop isn't exactly what I'd call cheap for half a yard of canvas and a bit of rubber.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always used to get the "natural white". It was the only white they made for many years. But, then they started making the "natural" look too much like yellow custard, including the laces. Just looks wrong to me, so now I go for the optical white (which also looks wrong, but not as wrong, esp. when dirty). Both have the red and blue pinstripes. p.s. I'm old and grumpy.
teacha.gif

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im actually a fan of the optical white. the chucks look clean and go with pretty much anything especially dark denim. although it does not last long.

however, i have heard from some people that they scotch guard their chucks and it helps with preventing some stains from getting on the shoes. has anyone tried this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads