1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Chicago: Your favorite thing(s) to do

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Beta

Beta Well-Known Member

weiner circle!

2. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

1. Chicago Symphony Orchestra
    2. Art Institute of Chicago
    3. Le Francais restaurant
    4. Shopping on the Mile
    5. Chill around Wrigley

Le Francais is not in Chicago, its in Wheeling.....thats a haul from there.

Go to Charlie Trotters or Tru.

The restaurant scene is as good or better than anywhere else in America.
    S.F. and NYC are the only contenders.

Go to Oak St. and visit Despos.
    Go to the library.
    Take a cab to Wicker Park around 4 pm any day and go to a cafe and people watch.
    Go to North Ave. beach and check out the talent
    Go to Schubas or the Hideout and see some kick ass bands

Do not:
    Go to Navy Pier
    Hang out around the Millenium park area too long.
    Go to house of blues.
    Go to an irish bar.

3. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

Go to house of blues.

Just curious, why not go to the house of blues?

4. antirabbit

Just curious, why not go to the house of blues?

Well, no one who lives here goes there....which means tourists.

5. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Will I get murdered if I stroll into Hyde Park wearing a sack suit?

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Yeah but Conne will be a tourist. There's nothing wrong with hitting tourist sites on his first time to Chicago--- there's a reason they're tourist attractions. They're wonderful pieces of the city that are unmatchable anywhere else in the country.

Will I get murdered if I stroll into Hyde Park wearing a sack suit?

YOU would get murdered for strolling in Hyde Park no matter what you're wearing, Mr. WASP.

7. Dr. J

Dr. J Active Member

I went in the winter and although it was my goal to make it to Barneys (which I did) ...

How does the Chicago Barney's compare to the one in NYC?

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

Well, no one who lives here goes there..
    The locals hang in the Foundation Room. [​IMG]

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

How does the Chicago Barney's compare to the one in NYC?
    All of their branch stores pale in comparison to the flagship.

10. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

Didn't know that, never been there before, but I have tickets to go on Sunday.

11. antirabbit

If you are going to go to a city and do the tourist thing, my bad.

12. Southern Beau

Southern Beau Active Member

Make sure you go to a good steak house. Some of the best cuts of meat you can ever buy at a restaurant are to be had. Gibson's and Wildfire are noted. In particular the Horseradish crust on the filet at Wildfire is quite tasty.

/getting hungry thinking about it

13. X-It

X-It Well-Known Member

Great thread BTW!

Just exactly what I need to know what I can do and where to go to.

I'll be in Chicago by the end of this year. Great!

14. basis

basis Well-Known Member

Hm. I've lived here for 10+ years, and I agree with some of what's been posted and disagree with other stuff. Thoughts, in random order:

Oh, and I can be rather opinionated. You've been warned. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Skip deep dish pizza. It's just a giant cheese bomb. A very interesting alternative is Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder, on North Clark. Plus it's close to Old Town and Lincoln Park, Yuppie Central.

The Art Institute is pretty much fantastic, and it's on Millenium Park, which is, too. The Museum of Contemporary Art is just ok. Much more style than substance.

Tru has gone downhill quite a bit, and isn't even LEY's flagship now. That would be L2O. Trotter's is an institution, although it's not what it was 10-15 years ago. I would suggest Blackbird on West Randolph (although it can be loud). If you want steak, the Capital Grille on St. Clair destroys everywhere else in town for food. Gibson's can't be beat for scene, though. (And yes, Chicago is the current tops for food in the US, imo.)

The architectural boat tours are great.

I have no idea what it is that people here love so much about Irish bars, but you don't need to plan on hitting a specific one. You'll see one about every 25 feet.

Drinks at the top of the Hancock is cool.

There's some great shopping on Oak St. and Michigan Ave., of course. If you do that, have tea at the Drake on Michigan. Very classy.

Wrigley is pretty great, but skip the bleachers unless you just need an excuse to get drunk on beer in plastic cups.

Time for work. Maybe more later. [​IMG]

15. X-It

X-It Well-Known Member

Hm. I've lived here for 10+ years, and I agree with some of what's been posted and disagree with other stuff. Thoughts, in random order:

Oh, and I can be rather opinionated. You've been warned. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Skip deep dish pizza. It's just a giant cheese bomb. A very interesting alternative is Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder, on North Clark. Plus it's close to Old Town and Lincoln Park, Yuppie Central.

The Art Institute is pretty much fantastic, and it's on Millenium Park, which is, too. The Museum of Contemporary Art is just ok. Much more style than substance.

Tru has gone downhill quite a bit, and isn't even LEY's flagship now. That would be L2O. Trotter's is an institution, although it's not what it was 10-15 years ago. I would suggest Blackbird on West Randolph (although it can be loud). If you want steak, the Capital Grille on St. Clair destroys everywhere else in town for food. Gibson's can't be beat for scene, though. (And yes, Chicago is the current tops for food in the US, imo.)

The architectural boat tours are great.

I have no idea what it is that people here love so much about Irish bars, but you don't need to plan on hitting a specific one. You'll see one about every 25 feet.

Drinks at the top of the Hancock is cool.

There's some great shopping on Oak St. and Michigan Ave., of course. If you do that, have tea at the Drake on Michigan. Very classy.

Wrigley is pretty great, but skip the bleachers unless you just need an excuse to get drunk on beer in plastic cups.

Time for work. Maybe more later. [​IMG]

Thank you so much. [​IMG]

16. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

All of their branch stores pale in comparison to the flagship.

I think I read that they are expanding and turning the Chicago branch into a flagship.

17. hipcathobbes

hipcathobbes Well-Known Member

YOU would get murdered for strolling in Hyde Park no matter what you're wearing, Mr. WASP.

Hey now, there are plenty of wasps in suits in Hyde Park. There's a law school and a business school and a med school down there... though I did witness a drive-by shooting in HP (Woodlawn, technically, but still).

18. sygyzy

sygyzy Well-Known Member

Eat Eat Eat. Chicago has amazing food and I went there for the first time in April, just to eat. I won't lie, of course I did touristy stuff between meals. The deep dish pizza was ho hum. Not very good. You won't believe this but in college, my roommate's dad would order deep dish from Chicago and overnight it to him for his birthday. We'd bake it in our dorm's communal oven and it was delicious. I don't know why but I was expecting that when I had it in Chicago and it was not good. Avec - Terrible salad. Extermely over salted (yeah on salad) and extremely sour. Everythign else was top notch like the chorizo stuffed dates and the spaghetti. Boka - Yummy but remember it's sort of a trendy bar/club too so you are dealing with that. Not nearly as much attitude there as LA though. Chicago in general that is. Alinea - Need I say more? The Gage - great lunch spot across the street from the Cloud and the Museum of Art. No lines, good food, fair prices. North Pond - Delicious. Great brunch there. I love the public transport of Chicago. Blew me away. I also felt very safe, then again I was on Michigan Ave most of the time. Navy Pier is a waste of time. Hancock Tower is awesome. Didn't know you could have drinks up there. Where would that be? Heard many good things about Violet Hour. Didn't get a chance to go. There's St. Alfred's there too which is a great streetwear store. I didn't go to that either though. If you like tea, like me, there are like a dozen places up and down Miracle Mile that have tea time.

19. Francis91

Francis91 Well-Known Member

Hancock Tower is awesome. Didn't know you could have drinks up there. Where would that be?
    Signature Room. It's on the 95th floor. Great view of the city from there.

20. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Signature Room. It's on the 95th floor. Great view of the city from there.

that's where I take guests to chicago, I'm there pretty much every month, fantastic place.