1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Chicago Tailor? Official Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smazo, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Cuff Link

Cuff Link Well-Known Member

I agree with a tailor, Chris Despos is great. 34 E. Oak. Prompt, courteous service. Everything from bespoke to alterations.

Cuff

2. cpadude

cpadude Active Member

This recommendation is long overdue:

I took the advice of some members on this Forum to visit Mr Chris Despos at his fine retail shop on Oak Ave. here in Chicago. I was looking to have altered two Brooks Brothers suits that needed a bunch of work, but for which I was willing to pay the price. I needed the waist taken in, sleeves lengthened, pants waist taken in, and the sleeves rotated. The more he asked me about how I wanted it to look, the higher the price became for the work required. I was still willing to pay, even though the tailor work was getting to be around ~50-60% of the suit.

Chris then flat out told me that it wasn't even worth spending that much money on the tailoring, because the suit wouldn't hold up to the rigors of de-construction and then re-construction. He then talked to me for 30 minutes about the finer points to look for in a suit, brands that would work on my body type, stores to visit in the area, and even when certain stores had their sales. This was all over and beyond what was required or expected of a tailor - I certainly didn't expect him to turn down work, and keep in mind that he was not paid for any of his time. He could have tailored my two suits per my instructions and made a decent chunk of change, instead he forgoed that opportunity and took some time to push me in a more satorial direction.

Essentially what I'm saying is that Chris is an excellent resource and a great tailor.

3. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

This recommendation is long overdue:

I took the advice of some members on this Forum to visit Mr Chris Despos at his fine retail shop on Oak Ave. here in Chicago. I was looking to have altered two Brooks Brothers suits that needed a bunch of work, but for which I was willing to pay the price. I needed the waist taken in, sleeves lengthened, pants waist taken in, and the sleeves rotated. The more he asked me about how I wanted it to look, the higher the price became for the work required. I was still willing to pay, even though the tailor work was getting to be around ~50-60% of the suit.

Chris then flat out told me that it wasn't even worth spending that much money on the tailoring, because the suit wouldn't hold up to the rigors of de-construction and then re-construction. He then talked to me for 30 minutes about the finer points to look for in a suit, brands that would work on my body type, stores to visit in the area, and even when certain stores had their sales. This was all over and beyond what was required or expected of a tailor - I certainly didn't expect him to turn down work, and keep in mind that he was not paid for any of his time. He could have tailored my two suits per my instructions and made a decent chunk of change, instead he forgoed that opportunity and took some time to push me in a more satorial direction.

Essentially what I'm saying is that Chris is an excellent resource and a great tailor.

Yes, Chris does get it. He's very real world. He understands that one stye does not fit all. And he'll nicely urge you toward suits that fit your profession, event, weather etc. etc. He really thinks it thru with you. And he's with it with what is appropriate today and helps you avoid looking like a guy going to a costume party, in a musical, selling ice cream, a member of the Sopranos, etc. etc. Other than his occassional shoe choices he's fairly hip [​IMG]

4. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

I'll make sure to yell at Chris for turning down business [​IMG]

5. gvibes

gvibes Well-Known Member

Update - Mr. Despos is not currently accepting alteration work [​IMG] EDIT: Just to be clear, it sounds more like a "we're totally inundated with bespoke work/alterations for existing clients," not a "we're not doing alterations anymore" sort of thing

6. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Update - Mr. Despos is not currently accepting alteration work [​IMG]

EDIT: Just to be clear, it sounds more like a "we're totally inundated with bespoke work/alterations for existing clients," not a "we're not doing alterations anymore" sort of thing

It's true. We are very fortunate to have the opportunity to keep ourselves (relatively) busy with bespoke work. Alterations simply took up too much time which was beginning to slow down delivery times for our bespoke orders.

We are, however, still able to take in more bespoke clients - the simple fact was the alterations were slowing everything down.

7. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Well-Known Member

So who's the next best choice for alterations in chicago?

8. gvibes

gvibes Well-Known Member

So who's the next best choice for alterations in chicago?
    After browsing the forums a bit: Soph says it's Tailor's Choice. Several people say it's Boguslaw Whatever, but Soph says that he does crappy work. I've seen Paul Chang (180 N. Lasalle) recommended several times. I think I'm going to try him instead of all the Oak Street guys, as I can walk there from my office. Also, thanks for the clarification James, and congratulations on the increased business.

9. deaddog

deaddog Well-Known Member

After browsing the forums a bit:
    Soph says it's Tailor's Choice.
    Several people say it's Boguslaw Whatever, but Soph says that he does crappy work.

I've seen Paul Chang (180 N. Lasalle) recommended several times. I think I'm going to try him instead of all the Oak Street guys, as I can walk there from my office.

Also, thanks for the clarification James, and congratulations on the increased business.

Although YMMV, I do not recommend Richard Bennet at Adams/LaSalle. I've taken a number of things there. Almost everything requires a redo and I'm not that picky - my dry cleaner does some of my pants (shorten/cuff) and gets it right every time. Also, RB is not cheap -- to shorten sleeves (non-working) and let out sides seams a touch at waist on a jacket, he charged $120. That seemed like a lot to me.

10. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Tailor's Touch on Oak does decent work. He has an appreciation for quality, materials, etc. He's really busy though, so be prepared to tell him exactly what you want. He's a solid tailor though and seems to get classic styling. The others on Oak are very into fashion and very in and out so I can't recommend them.

11. heavyd

heavyd Well-Known Member

Despos is now only doing custom, no longer doing alterations. (I mean for existing clients I'm sure thats not true. )

I just called.

12. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

Yeah, he is too busy.
    If you only had gone to him a few months ago!

13. heavyd

heavyd Well-Known Member

How much will a grey flannel / cashmere winter suit run me at Despos?

Reverse-pleat fat lapel, kind of thing Royal Tennebaum wore?

14. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

there is also Paul chang on North lasalle.

15. antirabbit

How much will a grey flannel / cashmere winter suit run me at Despos?

Reverse-pleat fat lapel, kind of thing Royal Tennebaum wore?

I believe his prices for MTM not bespoke starte at $3700.00 or in that range.
    Bespoke is more.
    It will also depend on the fabric. He has tons of great fabric in his Chicago store.

16. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

We have had a significant increase in orders for custom clothes and don't have enough staff to accomodate alteration work.

For the record.

Custom work starts at $3200.00 or $4200.00. Man hours and productiion techniques are the distinction for the 2 price points. Choice of cloth will raise the price from this. This has been the pricing since Fall 2006. Price goes up 10% every three years.
    Delivery, at present, is late December or January

Don't want to sound like an ad. Just stating information.

17. antirabbit

You guys have to see his work. Or Art as it really is amazing!
    I would say his work is an extremely high value for what you pay.
    As soon as my bank account is there, I am getting measured.

18. yachtie

yachtie Well-Known Member

You guys have to see his work. Or Art as it really is amazing!
    I would say his work is an extremely high value for what you pay.

+1 Great tailor and great to work with.

19. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

there is also Paul chang on North lasalle.

Have you used him? I have and I would not recommend him. I would sooner use Boguslaw.

20. deaddog

deaddog Well-Known Member

I do not recommend the tailors at Richard Bennett in the Loop.