1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Chicago suit stores?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by UCMaroon, Jun 17, 2011.

1. UCMaroon

UCMaroon Member

Where have people had good luck with either custom, OTR, or OTR-and-tailored suits in Chicago? I've had some good luck getting shirts from Balani on Monroe Street - a lot of luck, actually - and was thinking about getting a couple suits there, as well. Wondering if people could share their experiences with Chicago suiting, including variety, fit, etc.?

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

What's your price range?

3. UCMaroon

UCMaroon Member

Probably $500-$1,000.

Though I am willing to spend a little more if it turns out that it is absolutely not possible to get it right at that price, though I suspect it probably is.

4. LennonMcCartney

LennonMcCartney Well-Known Member

I am interested to see what replies to you get. Chris Despos is out of this price range, but I have heard he is the best in Chicago. Balani suit pockets can be pulled out to act as a PS?[​IMG]

5. UCMaroon

UCMaroon Member

6. ykurtz

ykurtz Well-Known Member

What is a PS?

Pocket Square.

Paul Chang Custom tailors might work. I believe he charges around 1200 for a suit, depending on fabric.

7. tumadre

tumadre Active Member

There's always the old standby - Brooks Brothers on Michigan Ave or the one on LaSalle St at the Rookery. They just had a 30% off sale on suits this past Sunday. I wanted to grab the Navy Irish Linen suit, but they didn't have it in my size. Anyway, if you get the corporate discount card it's always good for 15% off year round.

8. chet31

chet31 Well-Known Member

Saks Off 5th near Woodfield Mall has a nice selection of suits in the $500-$1,000 range.

9. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

10. Antonio07

Antonio07 Member

Nordstrom Rack in downtown has some HF, I saw a couple of Armani Colezioni there too, it really depends on location for outlet stores, the Marshall's near Woodfield had a couple of Dolce & Gabbana one's marked down to 600 from like 2,000. And Off fifth the Sak's outlet had a buy one get one suit free this weekend.

11. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

I know its out of your price range..it is out of mine, but Paul Stuart has some amazing staff and an amazing collection of suiting with various fittings. Very prompt in getting your size and catering to your needs. I vowed, after trying on a suit of theirs, that once I get the money and status to be able to rock their suits that I would buy one.

12. bwonger06

bwonger06 Well-Known Member

And check out the huge RL store while you are on Michigan. RLBL and RLPL are decent deals when they're on sale.

13. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

check out syd jerome. i was there in november it was one of the best shopping experiences i ever had

14. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

I live in the area, I only buy suits on the B/S forum here....

15. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

For all the major retailers (Brooks, Saks, Nordstrom, Boss, Barney's, Bloomingdale's) I would suggest waiting until sales. You can get nice suits for 30-40% off at the typical Jan/Jun sales. As someone who lives and shops in Chicago frequently, I would find it hard to pay full price for most things (suits included). Sometimes paying full price is more of a necessity at a place like Paul Stuart or with timeless classics (your solid greys, navy blues, etc). With Off 5th, Nordstrom Rack, etc., it's a total crap shoot (often a bust, but sometimes you strike gold). So all of that depends on your time frame.

The Sales Associates at the Saks men's store on Michigan Avenue are probably some of the best dressed guys out there and that Saks carries everything from Boss to Brioni, so you have quite a wide range of prices to choose from, however minimum prices are probably $600.

But it also depends, maybe you don't like shopping at big department stores and prefer more intimate experiences that can be had at places like Syd Jerome or Morris & Sons.

As some of the previous posters have indicated, you're probably not going to get anything spectacular MTM / custom in Chicago in that price range.

16. businessformal

businessformal Member

I'm also interested to see what responses you get.

My suits are all from Brooks Brothers and Hugo Boss, all but one in the $500-1,000 range thanks to sale pricing, but I'm tired of both sources. Brooks does not have the quality of fit or styling, nor is the fabric very good, and the construction quality on their 1818 line has been declining. Boss styling and fit is better, but their construction is not very good quality, and the tailor at their Michigan Ave store was pretty bad -- nowhere near as good as the Boss tailor in Short Hills, NJ. Besides, both Brooks' and Boss' OTR feel over-priced at full retail price, and the selection on sale is limited.

I'm in the process of making 3 bespoke suits with that same tailor in NJ, who has just started up his own shop for custom suits, but the logistics of working with him remotely are not going well.

So I'm looking for new options. Despos sounds great, but I don't think I'm ready to triple or quadruple my spend per suit. I've noticed a lot of on-line advertising for Balani, but I have not seen any positive references around here.

Saks and Zegna and other stores have some nice options, but if a suit costs more than $2k OTR, then it would be better to just go straight to Despos.

17. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

+1. One of my very good friends bought some suits at Boss on Mich Ave this summer and had them tailored there and they completely botched it, despite him being quite specific about what he wanted. Now he is stuck with a $1500+ suit that he doesn't really like. He spoke to management about it and all they were willing to do was give him 10% off.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  18. jayhawker

jayhawker New Member

I picked up my first Balani suit last week. I am happy with the suit and the service but I don't have enough familiarity with the market to know if their prices are competitive. I will say that I think their website pricing is mostly bait-and-switch; they advertise suits starting at $795 but when I went in for my first appointment the available swatches ranged in price from $1300 on up. I ended up getting a navy suit for about $1600, using a worsted from Holland & Sherry. They do throw in a free shirt with your first order.

According to my tailor, every suit at Balani is fully canvassed; they don't use fusing for anything. The pants have the usual details, e.g., rubber grips at the waist to keep your shirt tucked in and side-tabs for minor waist adjustments. I asked them to add buttons for braces and leave off the belt loops. I didn't get working cuffs on the jacket, but I will probably ask for them on future orders.

19. LennonMcCartney

LennonMcCartney Well-Known Member

Wilfred Newman has a sale for one custom made suit for $445 on Gilt City Chicago.

http://www.wilfrednewman.com/

It doesn't look terribly impressive to me, maybe I am dead wrong.

20. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

How about places to alter OTR clothing in Chicago?

I've got a number of things that need tailoring (and recently moved to the loop). I was thinking of taking them to Paul Chang to try him out. Any other suggestions? Despos is absolutely out of the question based on price.