1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Chet Baker

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Manton, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I was introduced to this by someone a long time ago, forgot about it, then somehow remembered it. Awesome.

2. Philip

Philip Well-Known Member

'The Best of Chet Baker Sings' is very good for rainy nights

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I think Parker was Chet Baker in a previous life.

4. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

[ATTACHMENT=1729]Chet.jpg (30k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Love the music - not so crazy about the singing. The sets Mosaic put out are very nice.....

5. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Not my favorite voice but it is very sincere. And when he was good he was great.

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I remember when I first heard it. I was like, Is this some kind of gag? Hipster irony avant la lettre? No one can really think this is good; is it like it's so bad it's good?

Now, much of my fondness for the music stems from fond memories of the person who introduced it to me and the situation at the time, which was rather ... um ... well I'll leave it there.

However, I now actually think it is good music. His rendition of Funny Valentine is gold.

7. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Awwww. :inlove:

To be honest I don't listen to Baker. When it comes to jazz there's so much stuff that I enjoy a lot more.

8. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Chet Baker by Dave Hickey from his Air Guitar: Essays on Art and Democracy. On his popularity and how he confounded the critics.

9. nohio

nohio Well-Known Member

His brief solo on "Time after time" from that album is one of my favorites. In the space of 16 bars he develops a germinal idea, builds to a climax, and provides a perfect transition back into the vocals. The concision of Bix, the silence of Davis, and the melodicism of Lester Young. Lots to like there.

If you can get a hold of it, I highly recommend his album The Best Thing for You. (Also, available as part of a double album, although the other half is not worth the price of admission.) Features: Kenny Barron, Paul Desmond, Ron Carter, and others. Great playing and singing, although much later in his career.