1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cheek Kissing

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Neo_Version 7, Mar 25, 2009.

1. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

Prude.

Open mouthed kiss, with tongue, followed by 2 fingers up the butt.

With any other username and avatar, this wouldn't have been half as funny.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Asia is so up tight that the women only give you those stupid little waves when you first meet them.
    [​IMG]

3. shellshock

shellshock Well-Known Member

only with my latin american peeps. one, right cheek to right cheek. you dont actually kiss their cheek but almost more touch cheeks and do the kiss simultaneously to the air pretty much. protip - you can also opt to touch their right arm with your right hand for leverage. i've never actually thought about this, it just comes automatically but now that i analyze it it seems very bizzare. only old ladies will actually kiss your cheek.

this gets annoying when you arrive to someone's house or someplace where there is a group of people already there and you have to make the rounds kissing everyone. but its just what you gotta do. latin americans find north americans kind of weird that they barely say "Hi" to each other rather than making sure to greet everyone when you get somewhere.

4. TheButler

TheButler Well-Known Member

Between a guy and a girl it's actually a hint sometimes to determine if there is any potential, depending on the intensity, duration and wetness of the kiss.
    I'm trying to figure this out and failing. Is this like a full-cow-tongue-jaw-to-eye slurp type cheek kiss? Because normally wetness is not a factor on a cheek kiss unless you are really [​IMG] .

5. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

only with my latin american peeps. one, right cheek to right cheek. you dont actually kiss their cheek but almost more touch cheeks and do the kiss simultaneously to the air pretty much. protip - you can also opt to touch their right arm with your right hand for leverage. i've never actually thought about this, it just comes automatically but now that i analyze it it seems very bizzare. only old ladies will actually kiss your cheek.

this gets annoying when you arrive to someone's house or someplace where there is a group of people already there and you have to make the rounds kissing everyone. but its just what you gotta do. latin americans find north americans kind of weird that they barely say "Hi" to each other rather than making sure to greet everyone when you get somewhere.

I should have edited the OP 2 years ago. I initially meant "touching cheeks" because I never full-on kiss another acquaintances' cheeks. Always two light presses on each cheek. I also hold the person's arm but I personally don't make a kissing sound. Cheek touching is quite common in Montreal. It's only when I'm in DC or Augusta when I rarely see it.

6. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

I kiss members of my immediate family.

The rest of you? Stay the fuck out of my personal space. [​IMG]

God, I hate Toronto ...

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I'd rather not kiss the majority of females.
    +1
    Growing up in Europe, it always seemed like the norm. Luckily, when I moved to Montreal it seemed like the norm too.
    Yaeh, always did it in montreal. In toronto it's weird. Some girls do it and some don't, but most don't. Last 2 dates have done it and i was honestly caught off-guard because I hadn't been expecting it.
    I kiss members of my immediate family. The rest of you? Stay the fuck out of my personal space. [​IMG] God, I hate Toronto ...
    I don't kiss anyone in my family. But you probably knew that. [​IMG]

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    At least it isn't phony-assed air kissing.

9. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Well-Known Member

Yaeh, always did it in montreal. In toronto it's weird. Some girls do it and some don't, but most don't. Last 2 dates have done it and i was honestly caught off-guard because I hadn't been expecting it.

It's not knowing that irks me. I usually initiate it to good friends but never initiate it with strangers just to be safe. In Toronto, do you just wing it?

10. Monaco

Monaco Well-Known Member

Cheek kissing is pretty much non-existant with Asians. Being Chinese, I grew up bowing to elders. It always felt awkward when I received kisses on the cheek.

11. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

only with my latin american peeps. one, right cheek to right cheek..

Interesting. With the people i've known, i'm used to going right so we're touching left cheeks. I usually wait for them to make the first move if i know it's a person that does the cheek thing (i don't do it unless i know that person does).

If we get to hang out i'll make sure to wait for you to go left and then i'll immediately go right to throw everything off [​IMG]

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

It's not knowing that irks me. I usually initiate it to good friends but never initiate it with strangers just to be safe. In Toronto, do you just wing it?
    No. I don't initiate it on assumption most girls won't, but if they start leaning in I don't know if a hug is coming or the double cheek kiss... It's my dates that have tended to initiated. Lawyer lady went to mcgill though so she spent 4 years in montreal. Not sure why the other did. She grew up in Oakville.

13. chronoaug

No. I don't initiate it on assumption most girls won't, but if they start leaning in I don't know if a hug is coming or the double cheek kiss... It's my dates that have tended to initiated. Lawyer lady went to mcgill though so she spent 4 years in montreal. Not sure why the other did. She grew up in Oakville.

Yea, that's what i meant a year ago when this thread started. Girl leans in for the hug and it seems gonna do the cheek or kiss so i go through with it and she doesn't do the kiss and i put my cheek or lip to her ear/hair. Not good times.

14. shellshock

shellshock Well-Known Member

If we get to hang out i'll make sure to wait for you to go left and then i'll immediately go right to throw everything off [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yea, that's what i meant a year ago when this thread started. Girl leans in for the hug and it seems gonna do the cheek or kiss so i go through with it and she doesn't do the kiss and i put my cheek or lip to her ear/hair. Not good times.

in my experience if you're doing the hug AND kiss (for example maybe someone you haven't seen for a long time, or its their birthday or idk) the kiss happens first then the hug.

15. chronoaug

[​IMG]

in my experience if you're doing the hug AND kiss (for example maybe someone you haven't seen for a long time, or its their birthday or idk) the kiss happens first then the hug.

That's why there should just be 1 rule everyone has to follow. Someone should send a global email

16. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

for my spanish friends I do, and with some women as well. But the majority I shake hands with or do the hug deal.

17. pseudonym

pseudonym Well-Known Member

For my bros: Bear hug
    For my females: Kiss on cheek and slap on the ass

18. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

I like being an American that fumbles at the cheek kissing thing. Leave it to the euros, [certain] new yorkers and chicks.

19. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Fumbling is right.

Men, if you wear glasses and encounter a cheek kiss situation with anyone with glasses, pull your frames up.

After 4 or 5 kiss and klanks I learned to lift my frames above my hair line.

The only men I have seen do this tend to be Eastern Euros.

20. Artigas

Artigas Well-Known Member

It's the norm in Argentina with friends and sometimes with acquaintances... you know, if you expect them to become friends. Men-men is common as well, but more with good friends.