1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cheapness... What people would and won't do to save a few bucks...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by sonick, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Runningman411

Runningman411 Well-Known Member

It likely would not be considered "cheap", but "inexpensive" in the eyes of the "super high net worth individual". That said, if this person has an iota of tact and humility they would realize that the $300 bottle of scotch may be a stretch for the gift-giver and should appreciate it accordingly.

That would require that person to actually consider the resources of that friend and decide whether or not the $300 bottle was a stretch or within his means. Nobody does that. What I've noticed is that someone is always "cheap" if they're more frugal than you. Reminds me of driving. Everyone that is going faster than you is a reckless speed demon while everyone going slower is a lane hogging slow poke.

2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Well in my defense, I have bought their stainless steal model ('dishwasher safe') which gained severe rust from going through a dishwasher cycle, which I kept and did not return.

Freud

I disagree about the utilities thing being a grey area. Even if the other roomate isn't at home as much to use them, you still need utilities to run a house and each roomate has the same oppurtunity to use it. You can't choose to never use them. The only area where i see this being ok to not split down the middle is if your roomate openly doesn't want to ever use the internet/tv and not split it. Then i'd be pretty pissed if he/she tried to watch tv or use the internet on occasion (even if rarely) because it's an all or nothing kind of thing. Lots of roomates in college spend a majority of their time at class/part time job and then remaining time at a girlfriend/boyfriend's apartment. But you can't skimp on your utilities like that. Just move in with the other person and have your roomate rent your room out if that's the case.

Utilities should definitely be split evenly...espcially considering you can't just cut off heat when you aren't in the place...takes more energy to get a 50 degree room back up to temp than to just keep it a bit higher all day. The only time this becomes a problem if someone is abusing the utilities...if you have individual heaters and your roommate wants to be able to walk around in their underwear when it is 15 degrees outside...they are being a wasteful douche, but you will have to talk with them about having more reasonable practices because splitting it funny doesn't work well. Same goes for the guy who keeps his window AC going to 65 degrees on a 100 degree day when nobody else in the place has AC.