1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cheap Fashion Rip-Off thread - H&M, Zara, etc

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by NAMOR, Apr 14, 2013.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Visited H&M today for the first time since joing the forum and was surprised at how much of the stock included items which were extremely similar to amoung others: Wings & Horns, Paul Smith, and SNS Herning. At first I was a bit taken aback at these ripoffs but at a 1/4 of the retial of the originals, i began to question why spend $150 for a W&H tiger fleece when there is a near identical piece (in appearance) for just $40. Ended up kopping a couple casual sweaters including one that reminded me of this:

[​IMG]

Outside of the staples, jackets, nice knits, and shoes, I think ill come back to h&m for all the cheapie basics that typically cost $50

2. Caveat

Caveat Well-Known Member

You should post a pic of the sweater.

When I buy W&H and SNS, I look for those 1 or 2 pieces from a collection that really stand out like the purple melange stark or the camo bush pants. I can't imagine finding anything at Zara that I would like as much. I would love to be proven wrong.

3. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Well-Known Member

Because the selling point for brands like W+H and SNS, at least, are the quality of the garments, and H&M sells essentially disposable clothing. With the turnover rate in my wardrobe, though, I've thought many times that I should just buy everything from Uniqlo, H&M, and Zara instead...

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

H&M copy just about everyone. Nigel Cabourn Cameraman anyone? http://www.hm.com/gb/product/06940?article=06940-A#shopOrigin=SA

I pik up the odd bit fro H&M - the quality sucks on much of their stuff, but some of it's not too bad. I like their £15 5 pocket chinos (I haven't got a tape measure out, but if they're not almost identical to APC's PS I'd be amazed.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Ha, saw the blue jacket in the Prague store. They also have a bunch of cheap vnecks and loose round neck t-shirts for about $8. My wardrobe is stocked with solid pieces however some of which only get worn a handful of times. I'm better off with a $30 Polk a dot shirt from h&m instead of $100 piece from our legacy or oliver Spencer

I'll post some pics later

6. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I thought like you once. I was horribly wrong.

1 person likes this.
  7. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

For cheap layering pieces like button-downs, t's, and basics I don't see why not. Don't know how they hold up in a wash though.

[​IMG]

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

9. johnH123

johnH123 Well-Known Member

I never really thought the quality at H&M was worth the money, but I find their flannels usually aren't too bad and are good for camping/outdoor work. At least the fit in their stuff is relatively slim compared to the other throw-away go-to places like Old Navy etc.

10. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I just kopped this h&m suit for a wedding for 100$.
    I guess thats a win.

What color shoes would go? I came across a pair of dark brown leather vintage ferragamo derbies in my size for 150. worth it?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  11. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

What does vintage mean?