1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cheap and low maintenance car that isn't a P.O.S?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by BlacKidLA, Dec 16, 2011.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

not saying the civic is a bad car. it's just fucking boring, that's all :satisfied:

op also has a beater car in his possession right now. i think he should run it into the ground until it's unsafe to drive and THEN lease a cheap car or buy another used piece of shit that'll last for two years for a couple K.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. Spats

Spats Well-Known Member

Are we ready for the strap-on yet?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BlacKidLA

BlacKidLA Well-Known Member

The only thing about that is I really cannot risk being late to work. I'll get fired immediately. Can't afford for a car to go out on me on the way to work.

4. SField

SField Well-Known Member

Again, I'd say you should lease one of the cars I recommended. Don't bother going out of pocket. Save that capital. They're all cars that will keep your gas costs down, come with warranty, and are brand new, best in their class. Go that route.

5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

my brother was in the OP's spot recently (ie first big job out of college, LA, and while his salary is well more than twice that of teh OP's he'll be paying rent for an apartment) and his final options were to either lease a Hyundai which he really came to like, or to have his 2000 Accord V6 w/ maybe $80K shipped from the East Coast. I insisted on the latter and think it was a good decision.

6. GreenFrog

please don't tell me he has $80k in mods invested in a 2000 accord. surely, you just added the $ accidentally and you meant to say it has 80k miles.. yes, that's what you mean, right?

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

that probably was a good decision... Hondas from that era can go 200K quite easily. The OP has a Mercedes that would run 250-300K if he kept it in good condition. The seat heaters, A/C, windows, sunroof - those may go, but the engine and transmission should keep hauling it around for years. I understand why the guy doesn't want to drive it anymore (first world problems) but just keeping it would be better for his dollars til he can work his way up to a livable salary.

8. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

yes, 80K miles. I'm pretty sure it's completely stock.

9. GreenFrog

my friend has a merc turbo diesel (i think it's from the 70s or 80s, not sure) and i hear they can go up to 500k miles. lol, absolutely ridiculous. that's on the higher end, though, of course.

edit: juts looked it up; I'm pretty sure it's the w123

10. impolyt_one

My friend had one or two of those too, they were tanks and they do run up to like 500K. There's nothing like a utilitarian-level old-world Benz, no SEL's, no SEC's - just the regular E class with MB-tex and mahogany trim. Those last forever and are worthy heirlooms now. Even a W124 is getting there. They were all made before the advent of computers and so the engineers had to calculate everything on paper; they overestimated everything to stay safe and so those cars are insanely heavy and well-built. BMW's of the same era were nice cars but the interiors go to shreds, they aren't at the same level as a Merc from the '80's.

It's why I want to get a G-class wagen to drive as my 'dirty' car - those things haven't changed for 30 years and they're of the same engineering era as a W123; mechanically they're an older C-class with an E-class engine. It should go the distance, and then some.

11. GreenFrog

i was on the mercedes website spec'ing out a c63 amy coupe to my liking as if i was going to actually buy one (am i the only one who does this with cars? lol) and i took a quick peak at the g wagon. I've only seen one in person and I've always liked how they look rustic and timeless, but still modern in a way. but when i saw the interior, i was sorely disappointed. it has some old school navigation and the steering wheel is ugly as fuck. is there a reason why they haven't updated the interiors to reflect their more modern technology? i think that would be cool, to have that whole contrast between old/rustic exterior vs. high-tech interior.

random quibble.

12. impolyt_one

they did upgrade the interiors a couple times with new steering wheels, navis and HVACs, but they just fit stock pieces into the regular G class dash which didn't change much, so they don't look much different. The car itself is supposed to be something different though, it is a way for them to produce an anachronism when most markets keep pushing them to make newer, rice-ier cars.

13. GreenFrog

[video][/youtube]

chris harris :inlove:

14. BlacKidLA

Ok, so my car finally died a few days ago. My dad says he can fix it but it's only been like 2 months since he's last "fixed" it. I'm grateful that he can fix my car but I feel bad when he does because he never lets me help and he already works so many hours.

He says I should buy a cheap used car instead of leasing a car. We went to Carmax today and he insisted I try to buy a $13,500 2010 Hyundai Elantra with 35k miles that was previously a rental car.

What do you guys think? Is this car a good enough deal to take my dad's advice or should I stick with what you guys are telling me and lease a car?

Thanks in advance.

15. BlacKidLA

Mind you, I'm bringing in $2,100 (BIG BALLLAAA) after taxes every month with almost no expenses since I live at home.

16. GreenFrog

No to the rental car. People treat rental cars like shit.

Also, did you factor in insurance and retirement contributions to your take home pay?

17. BlacKidLA

Yup.

18. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

My 2000 Accord is dying, transmission will need to be replaced. Just pony up the repair costs or look for another beater? I've got about 150k on it already.

19. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i really like the honda fit. regularly gets 30 mpg, surprisingly spacious (we fit in a whole 3 seater ikea sofa in it), nice tight turns. rated really highly for the past 3 years

20. Rockwell

Rockwell Well-Known Member

If you want something that will last a long time, Toyota Corolla or Toyota Camry. I have a bunch of friends who have had both and they never had problems with them and if you pick up a used one they can be very economical.