1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Chartreuse!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Well-Known Member

[​IMG] How do you cut your lime like that... Trying this tomorrow.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

3. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Well-Known Member

I used a channel knife, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Good-Grips.../dp/B00004OCJO

Even so, it can be challenging with the tougher, drier skin of a lime than a lemon.

~ H

Very cool. Thanks for the info Huntsman!

4. culverwood

culverwood Well-Known Member

I bought my parents a bottle of V.E.P. Chartreuse once it was very much appreciated.

I always used to get Chatreuse and Izarra mixed. Izarra is made in Bayonne in the French Basque Country. Like Chatreuse there are two varieties of Izarra:
    Yellow Izarra (Izarra Horia in Basque) is made with 32 herbs with a predominantly almond taste and is 40 proof.
    Green Izarra (Izarra Berdea in Basque) is made with 48 herbs and has a peppermint taste and is stronger at 48 proof.

5. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

this thread convinced me to buy chartreuse, and i must say it is great to taste a unique flavor you have never had before.

6. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

I've been to Alembic and they do not.

S.F. at least has the advantage of possessing a number of better bars.

The newly opened Prospect on Spear has it:
    [​IMG]

Had some after dinner:
    [​IMG]

7. fcuknu

fcuknu Well-Known Member

My grandfather loves the stuff. Its poison, but such a fun ritual. I have a few bottles of the VEP in my cabinet. I always break it out after a large meal or when I have a lot of friends over.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

The newly opened Prospect on Spear has it:
    [​IMG]

Had some after dinner:
    [​IMG]

Rickhouse has a bottle on one of the very top shelves.

What did you think?

My grandfather loves the stuff. Its poison, but such a fun ritual. I have a few bottles of the VEP in my cabinet. I always break it out after a large meal or when I have a lot of friends over.

Why poison?

9. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

Rickhouse has a bottle on one of the very top shelves.

What did you think?

Nice sweetness which just overpowers the herbaceous enough so that you don't feel like you're drinking bad cough medicine. It's definitely a more refined alternative to the traditional San Francisco Fernet with a ginger back. I could see this being put into rotation as a simple digestif with Strega depending if I was looking for something sweet or tart.

10. jessis

jessis Well-Known Member

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

I've been drinking Chartreuse for well over 20 years, and always have a bottle of VEP vert in the liquor cabinet.

I prefer to drink it straight.

1 person likes this.
  12. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

Was in Boston over the weekend... Craigie on Main's bar carried Chartreuse Green, Yellow, Green VEP, and Yellow VEP. They also mixed an excellent Last Word, garnished with a Luxardo cherry.

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

If I were to buy one bottle, what would recommend? Green is the standard, but I've read that yellow is more versatile (can substitute yellow for green in cocktail recipes but not vice versa).

14. username79

username79 Well-Known Member

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Is your dog named Chartreuse?

16. Archivist

Archivist Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  17. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

[​IMG] the only bottle of Chartreuse in my country, with maybe 2 shots left in it... at a Japanese cocktail bar; somebody must've hand carried it from Japan because it had the Japanese Suntory label on the back and no domestic tax stamp for legit sales, and there was no Luxardo to be had so no Last Words either. Just took a little swig of it.

18. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

Yes - thanks! I love to write and I am really passionate about my cocktails!

~ Huntsman

Awesome pictures Huntsman. Can you provide details on the glasses?

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Certainly.

It is --- wait for it and prepare to be horrified -- a Grey Goose promo glass. I liked it so much that I bought the one and only bottle of Goose on my bar to get it. Waited a year or so, then bought eight more on eBay over the course of six months or so. If you eBay Grey Goose and pewter you'll probably find some.

A few caveats:

The quality is highly variable, with the best having very thin glass and nice cut-glass rims, and the worst having heavy and ungainly glass with a rolled rim.

Sometimes the glass pops out of the stem -- easily fixed with loctite glass glue.

Glasses that have gone through the dishwasher tend to be in poor shape, and the black glaze in the deeper portions of the relief can be gone, and the whole base a sandblasted silver color.

Enjoy,
    H

20. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

Just returned from yet another Boston trip (excellent city for cocktail bars)... noteworthy Chartreuse drinks included a Chartreuse Smash (self explanatory), Alaska Cocktail (gin, yellow Chartreuse, orange bitters), and The Final Word (a derivation of The Last Word where rye and lemon juice are used instead of gin and lime... works much better in the glass than it sounds).