1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charterhouse of Parma

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by dopey, Apr 16, 2009.

1. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Reading this now. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Reading this now. Anyone have some thoughts on this?
    It was recommended to me recently. Nothing else to say, really. The person recommending it though it was fantastic.

3. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I do love me some Stendhal, but I am biased.

4. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

You probably read it in the original croak.

5. The Snob

The Snob Well-Known Member

I love Stendhal. "The Red and the Black" is my favourite of his works, but I do have a big spot saved for "The Charterhouse of Parma". What do you think of it so far? I read the book quite a number of years ago so the plotline isn't as vivid in my mind. I do remember being immensely entertained by the unintentional idiot, Fabrizio, who inspired my skype username. I don't know what else to say really except that Stendhal's protagonists are all simultaneously lovable and loathsome leaving you anxiety-ridden and hoping they'll make it through all right. Also, the Duchess is awesome.

Your post has reminded me of this wonderful book and now I feel I must find my copy and read it again.

6. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I love Stendhal. "The Red and the Black" is my favourite of his works, but I do have a big spot saved for "The Charterhouse of Parma". What do you think of it so far? I read the book quite a number of years ago so the plotline isn't as vivid in my mind. I do remember being immensely entertained by the unintentional idiot, Fabrizio, who inspired my skype username. I don't know what else to say really except that Stendhal's protagonists are all simultaneously lovable and loathsome leaving you anxiety-ridden and hoping they'll make it through all right. Also, the Duchess is awesome.

Your post has reminded me of this wonderful book and now I feel I must find my copy and read it again.

I find it a languid read. Enjoyable, but not compelling.

7. water

water Well-Known Member

Whose translation are you reading?

8. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

C.K. Scott Moncrieff

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I was bored by Red and Black (it must have seemed very courant at the time, but man is it tedious now), but CofO was riveting.

10. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I've always liked Stendhal's quote about ice cream. Something like "It's such a pity that this isn't a sin."

11. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I was bored by Red and Black (it must have seemed very courant at the time, but man is it tedious now), but CofO was riveting.

What is CofO?

12. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

13. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I meant P.

That was my guess, but as I am not up on Standahl's entire output I wasn't sure if you were referring to something else.

You really found Charterhouse riveting? As in - this is so exciting I don't want to put it down as I need to know what happens next? Not me. I like reading it while I am reading it, but give it no thought when I am not.

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

That was my guess, but as I am not up on Standahl's entire output I wasn't sure if you were referring to something else.

You really found Charterhouse riveting? As in - this is so exciting I don't want to put it down as I need to know what happens next? Not me. I like reading it while I am reading it, but give it no thought when I am not.

It gets very exciting when he goes to jail. I read it ten years ago, so my memory may be off.

15. AGPi

AGPi Well-Known Member

I love this book - but mainly for the Waterloo chapters. Now and then I go back and read that sequence. I found the rest of the book a let down, although the duchess is an excellent character.