1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

charles tyrwhitt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jasonmarshalljazz, May 11, 2008.

1. Doc4

Doc4 Well-Known Member

I've been generally pleased. Shirts and ties from them tend to be good, and I'll agree with the tent-vs-kinda-slim-fit comments above.

Beware the made-in-china stuff, though. It can be hard to tell sometimes, but if the item was made anywhere half-decent (England, Italy, &c) they'll mention it.

2. corskc

corskc Well-Known Member

I think some of the styles ct has are certainly interesting, but they are certainly only worth picking up on sale... especially with their 140s.

3. billiebob

billiebob Well-Known Member

I think their poplin slim fits are worth 50 bucks each. Mine have lasted 3 years so far. The "calf leather" shoes were a good deal for $150 as well.

4. JimInSoCalif

JimInSoCalif Well-Known Member

Despite what Flussers says, I don't see a gauntlet button being the mark of a well made shirt. Except for the shirts I buy from BB, I have MTM shirts made without that bothersome button. Unless the gauntlet is especially long I don't see the need for the button.

Cheers, Jim.

5. velvel87

velvel87 Well-Known Member

I think the shirts are ok if you can find them for under $50, but the fabric on the regular shirts is really not great and it shrinks in the wash!!! And Yes, I know how to wash my shirts so don't say anything in regard to that.

6. darryl20

darryl20 Member

They have probably the best priced sale items with plenty of styles. I always try to drop by their NYC store however I find that e shirts shrink a little bit at the sleeves.

7. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

9. msulinski

Thanks. Are they comparable to AE in quality?

10. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I think the consensus is that if they're built to Loake 1880 standards, then it's better than AE.

11. msulinski

Thanks. I've found plenty of other nice-looking cap toes, but none that I could try on before ordering, at least in the AE price range. I'll stop by the CT store tomorrow and see what they have. I have a pair of shoes in their lower end line, but I don't know how they compare to the luxury calf line.

12. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

13. msulinski

14. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Well-Known Member

CT jodhpur boots and the one jacket I tried aren't as good as elsewhere, where prices are higher. I wouldn't buy a shirt without gauntlet buttons/buttonholes. I did buy two informal shirts from CT - they are tough, but not high quality. CT refused to add gauntlet buttons/buttonholes, but the shirt sleeve alteration to a shorter length was perfect. Most CT articles I've encountered aren't made in UK. I am convinced those who are able to shop at the stores have a huge advantage which purely online shoppers don't. Photographs and descriptions are not the reality of the item in question.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  15. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member