1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt Sportcoats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Oct 4, 2012.

1. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever purchased a sportcoat from Charles Tyrwhitt?

An SFer suggest Charles Tyrwhitt to me and they are having some good sales. I've never tried any of their products on, nor am I familiar with the construction. Therefor I'm not sure I can justify spending the money on any of their products.

2. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if they are half canvassed or fully fused. They feature a "floating canvas chest piece", but fully fused jackets do have a chest piece anyways, so I think it's just a gimmick. They sell for retail (€500+) at the Madrid store so I haven't even bothered looking...

I love their shirts though :)

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

I have a few SC and Suits; they are half canvas with some nice details like working cuffs. Personally I feel the same about their suits as I do about their shirts; incredibly good value at the lowest end of the spectrum, but will never replace something much more expensive.

4. dieselman89

I do like the styling. It's hard to find a good value sport coat under $400.

5. ap10046

ap10046 Well-Known Member

+1

6. ap10046

I completely agree..I wear my CT fitted navy sportcoat much more than any of my other "proper" branded ones!

7. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Some of the fall stuff looks really nice.

Everything is always listed as 50% off, though. I wish they'd drop that gimmick.

8. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Agreed. Even though a lot of their stuff is pretty decent, I just think of Joseph A. Bank marketing gimmicks with this "always on sale" thing. No one is going to pay $160 for one of their shirts.

9. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

Sorry, did I miss when they started selling MTM?

10. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

No, I think Jones has got confused, to my knowledge they dont offer MTM. Having said that, if they did, I'm sure it would be a rather good offering.

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Some good pricing. I may try one.

12. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they don't do any MTM.

I may buy one of the donegal or other wool sport coats listed on the site now. Trying to figure out how versatile these lighter grey donegals can be.

13. dieselman89

Good to know. Was about to pull the trigger on something. So even though they claim retail is $600 the sport coats are always around $300?

Please don't associate CT with JOB. Makes me nervous to purchase anything from them now... ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. msulinski

I'm not comparing the quality of CT and JAB, just the marketing practices. CT is slightly better in that the "sales" prices are somewhat consistent, instead of varying week-to-week like JAB. So that $300 on-sale sportcoat is likely always on sale for $300.

Occasionally, CT does actually have clearance sales, usually just on their shirts and ties. You have to be careful, because, while some of the prices are decent ($29 to $39 per shirt, $30 per tie), some of them are still pretty high (in the $60 range), and actually worse than the normal price of 4 for $199. Also, if you look around on the internet, you can almost always find some kind of coupon code for $39 per shirt with no minimum purchase amount. The current promotion is through the Wall Street Journal.

15. TomTom

TomTom Well-Known Member

Agreed...I have been their customer for a number of years and can't complain. My favourite jacket for spring and summer is one of their linen/wool striped boating blazers I bought years ago and it still looks new. Great quality,good prices..

16. ap10046

On a different note, their Shirts are really nice too! I have a bunch that are in my everyday rotation.

17. randomhero88

randomhero88 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. They're an excellent company and I wear CT dress shirts almost exclusively.

I can't comment on their suits or sport coats, but I own about 15 CT Dress Shirts, and about 7-8 CT ties.

Of note:
    1.) Their customer service is some of the best I've ever seen. I bought two dress shirts and a tie that took over a month to get to me. I thought it was lost so I emailed them. They rush shipped a new order to me (It cost $30.xx just to ship for the record). Literally the next day, the first order arrived. I emailed them about what happened and they told me to keep both orders.

Along the same lines, my friend bought a couple dress shirts from them. One turned out to be out of stock. They shipped him a free pair of cufflinks for the extra week it took to get new stock in.

2.) Yes, everything is always discounted. Sure, it's a marketing gimic, but the quality is still very very good. About 6 months ago, they had a Shirt/Tie combo for $40 shipped. I bought a ton of them.

3.) They're great for premade shirts. They have regular, slim, and extra slim. I've got a heavy taper and the slim fits my very well.

As far as dress shirt quality: They're leaps and bounds better than anything you could find at dillards. The cheaper brooks brothers shirts I own are inferior. I have yet to break a button on any of my shirts. I'm a pretty big cheap A** and I'd realistically pay up to about $60 a shirt for them.

As far as their ties: They're some of the best I've found for the value. Once a few guys in my office saw me wearing them, they all were hooked too.

In short: They're not the best and baddest out there, but for the price, I have yet to find a better shirt or tie company. They have excellent customer service and an excellent returns policy. They have sales all the time, so hold out for those.

18. msulinski

I agree about the quality of the shirts and ties. I recently ventured into Brooks Brothers and picked up a few shirts and ties, which are both a bit more expensive than CT. The BB shirt fabric is thinner and feels like lower quality than CT. The buttons are also much smaller, and still plastic. They give you flimsy plastic collar stays instead of metal ones. The knot of the BB ties is way smaller than the CT ties when I do a four-in-hand.

My only complaint is that they don't sell button-down collar shirts with as many sizing options. They are only S/M/L/XL etc.

19. waramanga

waramanga Member

Can anyone compare the quality and fit of their shirts to those of TM Lewin? - which also seem to permanently be on sale.

20. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Well-Known Member

For the money (£28 for a white poplin shirt) CT shirts are damn good value. I've recently paid a bit more by going to Harvie & Hudson and bought 2 shirts for £65 each, because I couldn't find a 3rd one in the colour I wanted, in the correct size. The material and feel is better at H&H but I'm too inexperienced to quantify whether is worth x2.5 the price. That said, the H&H shirts that I purchased, were a much better shade than what was on offer at CT.

Ties? Not so keen. I dislike the saturation i.e. too bright and bold, without possessing depth. Have a dark navy tie from CT, but it is light years away from a dark navy repp from Drakes. That said, Drakes are x4 the price (retail). Like H&H, I bought a mossy green tie from Drakes (paying full retail £115!) because the tie was (a) woven, and (b) in a hue / shade that I have not seen anywhere else. Works beautifully with the cream H&H shirt.

It may be me, but nothing seems to fill the gap tie-wise between CT and Sam Hober or Drakes. I'd rather either stick with CT or pay more and go Sam Hober or Drakes.

I still wear my charcoal suit that I bought from CT last year at £300 (inc. spare pair of trousers). With some minor tailoring (jacket taken in, and trousers hemmed), it is a good fit as generally I'm 40R RTW. For a little more money, or thereabouts there is Suit Supply and Ede & Ravenscroft (£400 tropical wool in sale, with spare pair of trousers).

I would never pay full retail for CT because the prices are always 50% (marketing gimmick). Acceptable quality for the price.

Note: none of the sports-coats have patch pockets - so instant dismissal from me.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012