1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt shoes quality - worth $125-$135

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mikeynyc, Jul 21, 2006.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Are you an odd size, by chance? You've got me wondering if I'm missing out. Your post prompted me to do a search on eBay, and none of the opening bids on Tramezzas are less than $229, regardless of size, except for one pair in a narrow width.

As for Grensons, there are only two pairs, one being a Feathermaster. There are three pairs of Paul Stuarts total: a pair of loafers and two used pairs. I can't say I'd buy any of them.

I've already mentioned my experience with C&Js, even the GVH Polo shoes.

Maybe I need to do a better job policing eBay for shoe bargains! (Or maybe I'm just unlucky to be a 9.5.)

No I'm not an odd size at all.

Re: Tramezza - I bought a pair of NWT 2 weeks ago for $162 and the seller had several pairs and sizes. They come and go, not by any means a constant flow.

Re: Grenson - as far as I can tell, there are 34 pairs on eBay right now.

Re: "budget" French shoes - there is a number of threads here about affordable Blake or goodyear welted French shoes (not always necessarily made in France BTW, many are actually made in Portugal for example). Some people like Loding, others like Bexley or Finsbury. I've had good luck with Emling

2. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

Any sources for Finsbury or Emling in the US?

3. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Any sources for Finsbury or Emling in the US?

No idea. My guess is one probably needs to contact one of the boutiques in France

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Re: Grenson - as far as I can tell, there are 34 pairs on eBay right now.

Right you are. Sorry about that -- I forgot I omitted the overseas shoes. But do you think the non-Masterpiece Grensons are a step up from your Tyrwhitts? I have no experience with Grensons outside the Masterpieces, so I have no idea what the quality is like. But I've not heard many good things.

5. skalogre

Right you are. Sorry about that -- I forgot I omitted the overseas shoes. But do you think the non-Masterpiece Grensons are a step up from your Tyrwhitts? I have no experience with Grensons outside the Masterpieces, so I have no idea what the quality is like. But I've not heard many good things.

The only pair of Grenson shoes I have is from the Country range. Quite well made but also quite a few bob more expensive than, say, the Feathermaster range.

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

The old footmasters are ok. about the same as AE. maybe a little better, maybe a little worst.

7. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

In the $135 range?
    <snip> Other than that, there's not much in that price range that's not truly crappy. If you go up to, say, the $300 range then your options increase tremendously (C&J from Plal/Pediwear, Tramezzas on ebay, AE and Alden at retail prices, Santoni on discount at Nordstrom rack, the list goes on).

That's the trouble. In that range, there's not a lot to choose from. You could try to hunt some bargains on eBay, but there aren't many bricks and mortar stores that will have nicer shoes for $135. <snip>

This was sort of the point, no? In that price range, you're usually buying plastic shoes with rubber soles, unless you hit upon a closeout at STP or get lucky at GVH... (just today I scanned through STP's shoe selection, and at the moment, the dress-shoe pickings in the sub-200 category are slim indeed...)

To be fair, I did snip some suggested alternatives that might be viable if you're near a Nordstrom rack or can wait on GVH or STP, but that's a crap shoot.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I own exactly one pair of CT shoes. I haven't worn them tons, but I've been reasonably happy with them--at their half-off price.

8. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

This was sort of the point, no? In that price range, you're usually buying plastic shoes with rubber soles, unless you hit upon a closeout at STP or get lucky at GVH... (just today I scanned through STP's shoe selection, and at the moment, the dress-shoe pickings in the sub-200 category are slim indeed...)

To be fair, I did snip some suggested alternatives that might be viable if you're near a Nordstrom rack or can wait on GVH or STP, but that's a crap shoot.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I own exactly one pair of CT shoes. I haven't worn them tons, but I've been reasonably happy with them--at their half-off price.

I own three pairs of CT shoes that I bought with the half off link and I am very happy with them.

9. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

The answer is yes and no. At the $135 mark, you will be hard pressed to find anything presentable from a traditional brick and motar store. For around the same price, I also recommend checking out C21 or DSW if you in the NYC area, since discount Allen Edmonds can be found at a similar price. I would rank the quality of AE slightly better than CT/Loake, though the lasting is less sleek than the English shoes. I recommend buying whichever you find more aesthetically pleasing AND the shoes that fit the best, since comfort is the toughest quality to satisfy in lower-end shoes (cheaper linings and less corking, etc).

10. NukeMeSlowly

NukeMeSlowly Well-Known Member

I wore my CT semibrogues for the first time last night and I am pretty pleased with them. They were stiffer from the get go than my AEs typically are but after a short while they felt fine. I love the last shape and even if I was willing to pay more for the AE version, I can't since AE doesn't make a captoe brogue with medallions anymore. For the $85 I spent, they are fantastic. I think for $135 they are still pretty good.

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I wore my CT semibrogues for the first time last night and I am pretty pleased with them. They were stiffer from the get go than my AEs typically are but after a short while they felt fine. I love the last shape and even if I was willing to pay more for the AE version, I can't since AE doesn't make a captoe brogue with medallions anymore. For the $85 I spent, they are fantastic. I think for $135 they are still pretty good.

This raises an interesting question. If AE did make such a shoe, and you didn't already own the CT, would you pay the premium for the AE? What price would convince you to buy one pair over the other?

12. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

This raises an interesting question. If AE did make such a shoe, and you didn't already own the CT, would you pay the premium for the AE? What price would convince you to buy one pair over the other?

If I had to do it over again, I would not buy the CT black semi brogue cap toe that was $135, and would buy these very similar looking Tramezzas instead for $350 (which I can't justify buying now because of how similar they are to the CTs):

[​IMG]

13. jmatt

jmatt Well-Known Member

If a typical A-E retails for $300, and can be bought at Nordstrom's on sale for $200, then I think the CT's are a similar value if they were to retail at $200 and sell for $135. In other words, at $135 vs $200, I think they're a toss-up.

I purchased two pair of the calf semi-brogues at the CT sale (2 for $170) and I've purchased a pair of A-E for $222 at Zappos.com and a pair on sale from Norstrom's for $195, all within the past 3 months.

If A-E were $300, then the CT at $135 is a no-brainer. At $85 each, the CT was a no-brainer no matter what.

For the naysayers, I just don't see a better - easily available - shoe for $85 than the recent CT sale. Not all of us have Norstrom Racks available, and not all of us have sizes that are regularly available on e-bay (10 EEE). At the CT sale, virtually all sizes were available, and I could call and order easily.
    YMMV.

14. TrojanGarb

TrojanGarb Well-Known Member

It comes down to the fact that CTs are available at "retail" - everyday, every size, every style - for $135.

Any other better shoe will be a very limited sale, one time chance type of deal. These you have to search for.

At retail "buy it now" prices I don't know if CT can be beat. I like my chelseas. I wish I knew and waited till they wouldve been $85, but I wanted them then not now.

15. NukeMeSlowly

NukeMeSlowly Well-Known Member

Hmm, same style but CT at $85 and AE at $300? It would depend on how much ready cash was at hand and how into looking at the long term I was in at that moment. Shit. I like the CT last very much but they are not fully lined and the leather is somewhat below AE grade. The AE lasts are not as elegant but their shoes are fully lined and their recraft option means the shoes could last decades with proper care. I guess I need to see how these CT semibrogues wear over the next couple of months. If they start to fall apart, I would not repeat this purchase. If they hold up well, it would be a tougher call.

16. Lino

Lino Well-Known Member

eBay is full of Grenson, C&J and Tramezzas at this price level. All are better buys. For regular non-eBay stores, I'd say that the French makers are probably a better buy - I know my Emling shoes are far superior to the CT shoes I own (and do not wear)

Saddly not in 11e, atleast not new (I will not buy used shoes"”I usually do not mind second hand, but shoes are one of my limits). Also the selection at GVH in size 11 (much less 11e) is slim at best.

17. LegB4Wicket

LegB4Wicket Well-Known Member

My brown calf leather semi brogue shoes and black Chelsea boots arrived today after picking them up for $85 per pair.

I find the calf leather shoes well made and definitely worth $135 and more. I would say they are on par with my Sanders Diplomats.

They are a step up from the Chelsea boots that, while quite nice, are good as the calf. I would pay no more than $150 for the Chelseas. Are they worth the $85 I paid for them? The answer is an unequivocal yes.

As for the sizing, I order the North American sizes and they are a tad too big but will fit just fine with a thin insole.

Regards,

LBW

18. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Two things:

My fiancee just ordered me a pair of sued cherry brown chukkas from CT as a partial engagement gift. These, in fact. I'm looking forward to them.

Second is a question: what's GVH? It's been mentioned a few times and I am just clueless.

thanks,
    bob

19. skalogre

Two things:

My fiancee just ordered me a pair of sued cherry brown chukkas from CT as a partial engagement gift. These, in fact. I'm looking forward to them.

Second is a question: what's GVH? It's been mentioned a few times and I am just clueless.

thanks,
    bob

http://stores.ebay.com/Grapevinehill

20. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member