• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Shoe Sale

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
How wide does the G fitting run?

I wear a 10E in AE or a 10.5D.

I plan to order 9 "G" in CT boots unless this is more like an EE width, in which case I'll go with the 9.5 "standard."

It's pretty wide. My CT G-fitting shoes are at least as wide as my Tramezza EE fitting shoes and definitely wider than an AE E fitting.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
CT customer service on the "G" fitting:
"After checking this out I can confirm that a G fitting is a 1/4" bigger than a EE fitting, it's the equivalent to a EEE USA fitting."

Thanks.

ATM

Reaction score
I missed the brown almost-wholecuts by a few hours. I should have ordered while I was at work. I ended up with two pairs of boots - tan chukkas and cherry brown suede brogues.

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
How wide does the G fitting run?

I wear a 10E in AE or a 10.5D.

I plan to order 9 "G" in CT boots unless this is more like an EE width, in which case I'll go with the 9.5 "standard."

I'm an 11E and I emailed CT about sizing. They said the shoes run wide in general and that a standard 11 should do the trick, and that the G line is closer to a EEE. When I ordered, the sizes were in US sizes as well.

Cheers,

Michael

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... items in my basket went from $135 to $158!

arced

Reaction score
Anybody know how the CT chukkas compare with the Polo/C&J shoes? I tend to wear a 9.5, but I get 9 with the C&J.

Thanks.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tempted to order two pair (even though they're at $100 ea now for some reason) -- can't decide between a pair ea. of the Calf Derby shoes in chestnut and black, or one pair of the derby and one suede Chukka boot....

arced

Reaction score
I can't give you a comparison with C&J, but I normally wear a U.S. 11.5 D. I bought a pair of the CT chukkas in 11 standard, and they're way big.

So, you're recommending going down a full size? So they're not really US sizes?

Thanks

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arced
So, you're recommending going down a full size? So they're not really US sizes? Thanks
Same problem I had with Loding. Creative size conversions
tongue.gif
P.s. Look at the feeding frenzy you created, Norcal. Discounted shoes are like rubby-dubby for SF members
biggrin.gif

arced

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Same problem I had with Loding. Creative size conversions
tongue.gif

I guess that 8.5 might be the way to go... Still, nobody with experience with C&J and CT?

frankie lee

Reaction score
Uh-oh. I wear a size 10 in American shoes, and I ordered two pairs of "Size 10 US" shoes from CT today. Are they gonna be huge on me?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's quick update regarding the CT shoes and sale items. I managed to stop by the Madison Ave. shop on my way home from work today. Based on my browsing and sample fittings I learned a few things...

1) C&J compared to Loake: If C&J runs true to size for the POLO AMERICAN SIZED SHOES, you can drop down an ENTIRE size with the Tyrwhitts if you have narrowish feet. Thus, a US nine would be an equivalent of a Tyrwhitt 8 UK. The applies to the boots only. For the bluchers and semi-brogue, I cannot comment, since my size was not in stock. I wear a smaller size, so I dont know if there would be such a marked difference for the larger footed fellows.

2) Re: leather quality. The black shoes are generally corrected grain rubbish. Out of the offerings on the website, the two eyelet calfskin bluchers and the black wholecuts are the only shoes that I would consider in the black offerings. The calfskin "brown" shoes were generally of decent quality. I would rate the styling and lasting as more attractive than AE, while the construction is slightly inferior (stiffer uppers, less corking, stiching on par with AE).

3) The Suede boots were the most attractive of the lot.

Good luck everyone. I hope this little deal I posted turns out to be "gold" instead of a bunch of returns.

edit:
Frankie--I recommend calling the store and checking if you can change or cancel the order. There is no use shipping shoes that wont fit. It sucks for Tyrwhitt and ultimately sucks for the consumer.

arced

Reaction score
Thanks Norcaltransplant! So, just to clarify, if I have a 9 in the GVH C&J and I want to get the suede chukkas, then I should go with an 8? Thanks.

frankie lee

Reaction score
I expect so. The good news is their return policies are quite good . . .

It sounds like you're familiar with CT's sales practices. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you know if I can return them to a retail location? I'd rather bring them into CT's 7th Ave. store in Manhattan than mail them back.

2. Do you know if I can exchange them for a smaller size and still benefit from the sale price?

Thanks for the advice--I'm new around here and am trying to learn the ropes.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW on sizing. I actually ordered two pairs of shoes from CT when they were 50% off. I'm about a size 10.75US. The tan chukkas in 11US fit well...maybe a little large but I would definitely not size down. The black calf leather derbies in 11US are too large. I purchased another pair in a 10.5US.

And for those that are getting the $158 price, try clearing your cookies or using another computer that you haven't used to log into the CT site before.

-Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads