1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LooksGood, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

I machine wash mine in cold water on the delicate cycle. In the past, I would tumble dry on low heat for about 20 minutes (which was usually enough to get the non-iron shirts just about completely dry) and observed no shrinkage at all. I now just hang-dry all my dress shirts, though.

I should note that my experience with CT shirts has only been with the non-iron variety. I recall reading on the CT site a while ago that their non-iron shirts are shrink resistant. The must-iron shirts tend to shrink some though, from what I've read.

Regardless, washing with cold water and hang-drying should keep shrinkage to a minimum.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Well-Known Member

CT shirts are not bad. My intention was to use the CT shirts as a source of collars and cuffs for other shirts, but after wearing them for a while I will be keeping them in tact.

3. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

5. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Then what's the benefit of black label shirts? Better fabrics?

6. Quadcammer

yeah, the fabrics are generally a bit finer, the assembly maybe a bit better, and some of the touches, like the buttons, are higher quality.

7. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

How is the quality of the shoes at CT?

8. Quadcammer

made by loake. The ones for around $300 are similar to loake 1880s and made in northhampton.

the cheaper ones are made in india and are disposable.

9. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

Then OK shoes. Great prices aswell.

10. johnbond8459

johnbond8459 Active Member

Can anyone comment on their Business Casual shirts?

Additionally, how are there collars? Do they stand up better, the same, or worse than BB collars? Do they stand up well without a tie under a blazer?

Thanks

11. johnbond8459

I just found out that their business casual shirts do not have collar stays, a bit of a let down.

Can anyone comment on the collars of CT shirts? Do they stand up more, less, or the same as BB shirts?

Thanks again

12. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of their shirts. I find the collars stiff but comfortable and each comes with brass collar stays.
    I know others disagree but I like their non-irons and find they look almost as good at the end of the day as they did in the beginning.

UPDATE - Sorry, just realized you asked about their business casual shirts. I have no experience with those . . .

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  13. Subutai

Subutai Well-Known Member

I was interested in this as well. I noticed they have a pair of burgundy double monks on sale for $250. I called but the customer service didn't know who made them. Do you happen to know if these are loakes?

14. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

15. DWRR

DWRR Member

A medium is usually sized on a 15.5 - 16 collar. It should be fine.

16. DWRR

DWRR Member

The BC shirts come with brass collar stays.

17. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

I just received my non-iron ESF shirt from CT, and the fabric is really nice and soft and doesn't feel plasticy, like non-iron shirts from BR. Though, CT's ESF is a little tight on the collar and shoulders. So, I would order +1/2 my usual size next time.

18. johnbond8459

I received my shipping notification today from CT. At the bottom in bold it read "* Our standard SIX month guarantee does not apply to sale items. All purchases under our SALE promotions are covered by a 14-day unconditional guarantee." Can anyone comment on this? Aren't they always on "Sale"? I purchased my shirts through a link for $30 per shirt. I ordered a variety of sizes in cuffs and collars to get my size dialed in since the reviews have been mixed on the shrinking and shoulder sizing issues. I was pleased that I could return the shirt within 6 months for whatever reason, but this 14 day non-sense on sale items is a bit concerning.

Am I worrying about nothing (i.e. 14 days applies to clearance type items, not discounted items) or is this a change in their policy?

19. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

Don't worry. They only refer items indicated as being "sale" items online, they'll have a big red stamp on them.

20. DWRR

DWRR Member

Always discounted yes. Always on sale no.