1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LooksGood, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Well-Known Member

I own the CT spread collar and I dont think they are that white. Im wondering if the "extreme" spread will be the better option?

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Their extreme cutaway is close to 180 degrees. If you like that look, it's worth picking up one.

3. dustygator

dustygator Member

If you label a shirt as being extra slim, I expect more than a 2-3" drop, which is what CT ESF shirts are.

In my mind

Regular fit = 0-1 inch drop
    Slim fit = 2-3 inch drop
    Extra slim fit = 4-6 inch drop

Not to mention the fact that the 15 neck shirts have a 38 inch waist (measured 20cm below armhole). Usually I like my shirts to have 3-4 inches of "room". That would mean I would need a 34" waist. And this is their second smallest size in their slimmest fit.

4. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

Haha, my thoughts exactly. Anyone who says CT ESF isn't slim enough must be thinner than a starving Ethiopian, or has fallen too hard for fashunz and wants dat painted-on look...

Let me guess, you guys want your shirts to fit like this:

[​IMG]

Get real! That looks terrible and is totally unrealistic anyway.

A couple relevant posts from my favorite men's style blog, that last one posted just today:

http://putthison.com/post/39574940145/sit-down-in-your-shirt-when-out-trying-on
    http://putthison.com/post/22988829632/our-friend-mistah-wong-demonstrates-what-clean
    http://putthison.com/post/46346318151/lower-your-tie-clip-i-like-this-photograph-of

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Garasaki

Garasaki Well-Known Member

Significant drop is a sign of good fitness.

I laughed when reading some of those blog posts about trying on a shirt, and sitting down.

If your shirt buttons become strained when you sit down, maybe you should start eatting salads instead of cheeseburgers, eh???

6. Hobbstc

Hobbstc Well-Known Member

So I think I figured out my issue. The back seam length is actually longer than my current shirts. The binding issue is that the sleeve joint is only 10.5" whereas my other dress shirts are 11". That extra half inch means the world to my arm movement. Everything else fits fine, it just binds my arms. Going to half to return these unfortunately. Des anyone know how that will work since I used a groupon for $100 of the $200? Will I get $100 in cash and a $100 credit?

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

PSA

Am I late to the party? Living Social currently has a $25 for $50 worth of credit or $50 for $100 worth of credit.

There is also a $5 off coupon floating around, so effectively $20 for $50 or $45 for $100.
    Shipping is pretty much a flat rate, so it isnt advantageous to sign up for the smaller deals.

8. Garasaki

They do have the site configured so that you can't use the living social deal for the 39.50 shirts.

However, they do allow the 4 for 200 deal from the living social money, so you can do 4 for 100 bucks basically (I think), which makes it 25 a shirt probably with more selection.

I wish I had that CT shirt I ordered in hand so I could decide if I love it (and should jump on this) or not....

9. allysan1027

allysan1027 Active Member

I don't think you can use two of the LS deals in the same transaction.

So basically its 4 for 150, no tie, vs 4 for 160, with a tie.

10. Garasaki

Yep you right

Limit 1 per transaction

Not as appealing...

11. taint it sweet

taint it sweet Well-Known Member

Just ordered my first shirt...looking forward to it. Hopefully the white twill isn't see through.

12. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

CT shirts are a bit on the thin side, but not to the extent that it bothers me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  13. ggtk

ggtk Active Member

not enough to be a problem though I always wear a uniqlo heattech undershirt..

14. taint it sweet

taint it sweet Well-Known Member

Yeah. My only issue is that I don't usually wear undershirts. I like going without.

15. nickwjd

nickwjd Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any experience with CT's shoes recently? I quite like the look of their brown semi-brogues and its quite well priced for the budget shopper @ GBP99.

From what I understand based on some searching,
    - shoes are made by Loake
    - they run quite big/wide

But most of the info are a few years old. Not sure if all this still holds true today?

16. katastrofa

katastrofa Well-Known Member

The whole point of classic menswear is that you can be ugly and fat, and clothes will make you look good. That's why British men are fond of it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

The 99gbp ones are made in india loakes. ok for beaters, but thats about it. The more expensive ones are on par with loake 1880s, which I've found to be a sturdy, well made shoe, if lacking in exciting lasts.

If the sizing is standard loake, they are roomy, but not so much that you would have to size down.

18. nickwjd

nickwjd Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I'll probably consider a pair soon. Don't think I'll be too disappointed with them as I have yet to step up to even Meermin or AE. :)

19. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Well-Known Member

any tips how to prevent shrinkage when washing CT dress shirts?

20. emsf

emsf Active Member

^^^spray collar and cuffs with ERA or similar product. Wash in delicate cycle either cold or warm water, remove from washer about one minute after the last spin cycle then hang on a plastic hanger. Iron the shirt damp. If shirt has already dried, spray it with water before ironing.