1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LooksGood, Feb 16, 2013.

1. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed that the standard cotton shirts fit tighter than the non-iron cotton shirts (of the same size)?

2. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Well-Known Member

I find the extra slim fit to be too large at the waist, and the collar points are barely long enough. I wish they did longer collar points.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

CT slim fit shirts fit me perfectly. For me, at least, I can't fault the fit and finish.

4. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

For me, size 15.5 extra slim fit is perfect, but only in the non-iron cotton shirts. In the regular cotton (NOT non-iron) they are too tight. So strange.

5. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

That's odd. I find the fit is the same for me irrespective of it being non-iron or not. Sorry to hear the result is not similar for you, mosy.

6. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll try a standard cotton extra slim. I'm 16" neck and 34" waist and they're a bit loose.

Hawes & Curtis fit me perfectly.

7. llamaone

llamaone Well-Known Member

A couple of reasons that could explain your experience:

1) CT's non-iron shirts are more resistant to shrinkage than their standard cotton shirts. Perhaps your standard cotton shirts have shrunk slightly over time, while your non-irons haven't.

2) CT has changed the measurements/fit of their shirts over the past few years. This isn't merely something I've experienced--CT has advertised it. In general, they have been slimmed down, I believe. This site has some good info on the matter: http://www.shirtdetective.com/charles-tyrwhitt-review/

So perhaps you have some shirts from before the sizing change(s), and some from after. If your non-iron shirts are older and your standard cotton shirts are newer, this could explain why the latter fit tighter.

Personally, I think it was a mistake for CT to mess with their sizing. The slim fit shirts from 2012-2013 fit me really well (though perhaps a bit baggy around the waist, but this was easily fixed by a tailor). However, I bought a shirt last year after the sizing revisions, and it was comically tight in the chest/shoulders/arms, despite being the same size and fit. This was rather disappointing, as CT was my go-to for dress shirts. I've read several other reviews on the internet expressing the same sentiments, so maybe there's hope that CT will undo the sizing changes in light of feedback.

Anyway, hope this info helps.

8. norbi

norbi New Member

Hi, I am 6'0 - 185 lbs, generally fit with a tiny dad bod belly ..,. I am looking to pull the trigger on a couple CT casual shirts. Now, they are all Slim Fit... my problem is their size guide with casual shirts. I am typically an L and looking at their casual shirts guide I would be an L as well, except that underneath that they have a "slim shirt" guide for casuals that comes in with a 48" chest on a L !!!!! What gives, do i size down to a Medium?? But then according to guide the neck comes in at 15.5 which again becomes small for me . WTF!

Has anyone worn their casual shits? and for Christs sake am I a Medium or a Large?????

9. AFCForever

AFCForever Active Member

I wear them and love them as I am 6'3" and the tails are long enough for a tall guy. Their slim shirt guide is way off (they said XXL for me and it was too big).

I have a 44 chest and weigh 220lbs and an XL is perfect on me - I would say you are a large and I would guess a 42 is about that size.

For reference I am a 17.5" neck and a 36 arm in their slim fit dress shits. I can't imagine a 2" drop between sizes.

10. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Well-Known Member

I'm 5-9/180 and do Medium in their casual slim shirts. The neck size is exactly 15.5. The sleeves could actually be an inch longer for me. I'd say that you're a large based on what you said.

11. norbi

norbi New Member

Thanks for the help !

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  12. norbi

norbi New Member

Thanks for the help ! Does the body fit you right on a casual medium slim ? Is there some room or do you feel on the tighter side? I could get away with a 15.5 because I'll never button than top button anyway. Whats you sleeve length?

13. Sunstealer73

Sunstealer73 Well-Known Member

There's a little room. It's similar to a regular Gap Modern Oxford or a Lands End Tailored Fit. I need a 33/34 sleeve. Regular Mediums or 32/33 are usually a little short on me.

14. mochaman

mochaman Member

Having never bought CT shirts before i'm curious on how transparent/thin their Poplin weave is especially for a white shirt ?

I"m wondering if I should go for a Twill shirt.

Does anyone also know how their sizing/material compares with TM Lewin ?

15. mnauprsk

mnauprsk New Member

Hi, can someone measure shoulder width of current CT 16 classic/slim fit shirts?

16. The_International

The_International Well-Known Member

I just caught wind of a new Charles Tyrwhitt promo wesbite. 3 shirts for 99.00 plus a free tie.

www.ctshirts.com/quality

17. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I don't see it.

18. The_International

The_International Well-Known Member

Try typing the website in manually instead of clicking the link. Just tried and it worked.

19. Kyrus

Kyrus New Member

20. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Found it, thanks!