1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LooksGood, Feb 16, 2013.

1. SS 376

SS 376 Well-Known Member

They want to steer you to the 4 for $200 deal. Nobody is going to spend $100 on one shirt.

2. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

It seems to be a U.S. thing.

The prices for UK customers on their UK website are cheaper. The individual shirt prices are close to what US prices were about a year ago. E.g.,

White twill non-iron: £34.95; four for £100. (Currently 1 GBP = 1.57 USD.)

Might have to do with the strong dollar. Other European companies have been raising dollar-denominated prices to compensate.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  3. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Well-Known Member

4. businessformal

businessformal Member

I've bought several shirts from CT. Their return policy is very helpful.

My experience has been that the shirt sleeves run a full inch too short, if it's not non-iron then it will shrink a lot, and I wear their extra slim fit cut but I find it too tight across the chest* (the slim fit is too loose around the waist and does not taper enough). I've found that buying their mid-priced shirts rather than their cheapest shirts offers a big improvement in fabric quality. I like the fabric variations they offer, especially to complement the limited range from BrooksBrothers.

* I'm 6'0 and 185lbs. I wear BrooksBrothers 15/33 and find them slightly loose in the waist, slightly tight in the neck if I button the collar, but fit very well across the chest, back and shoulders plus good sleeve length. I buy 15.5/34 in extra slim fit from CT.

I have tried some other purchases from CT but with less success. I bought two ties but returned one for very coarse fabric. I also tried an overcoat once, but the fabric and cut were really unimpressive so I just returned it.

5. smoothmoose

Guys, what's the story with customs/duty for USA customers? Everything ships from the UK right? Does CT charge local sales tax already, so no additional duty is added?

I tried asking their CS, but their answers have been a bit vague and not that helpful.

Doug

6. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

UK selling law says that any product that is advertised at a "sale" price must have been sold for at least 30 days in the last 6 months at the higher price. Twice per year CT will return to "pre-sale" prices in order to satisfy this condition and avoid any trouble for that whole Permanent Sale thing they do.

Give it a few weeks and they'll be back to normal, advertising their 70% off prices.

1 person likes this.
  7. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

In my experience, shipping costs are the only added expense.

8. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

My orders have always been sent by Royal Mail, and have never incurred a duty. However it's possible I've never exceeded the 199 USD limit beyond which duties kick in. I can't remember. I do know from other threads that Royal Mail, which is handled by the USPS once it gets to the US, is less likely to trigger duty than couriers like DHL.

Cheers,

Ac

9. smoothmoose

Thanks. My order will likely exceed $199. I definitely got hit with duties from other international vendors that ship via Fedex.

10. UTfootball747

UTfootball747 Well-Known Member

Quick sizing question maybe someone can help with:

I decided to give CT's "extra slim" fit a shot since Brooks Brothers doesn't seem to be able to make an actual slim fit dress shirt to save its life. I went with my usual size in BB (16/34).

I generally like how the shirt fits. Collar is fine. But the sleeves seem to be just a bit too short. This may be due to a little bit of tightness in the shoulders.

So my question: Should I just go for another inch in the sleeve? Is this somehow a sign that I shouldn't be wearing the "extra slim"? It's certainly 'slim' but that's what I prefer and I'm afraid going up to the next cut will give me something along the line of what Brooks Brothers offers. I wear a size 40R jacket typically, pants 32 waist. 5'11 175-80 lbs.

11. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

go with the same size shirt

1 person likes this.
  12. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Yeah, same size shirt, just elongate the sleeves.

1 person likes this.
  13. Snaap

Snaap Member

How is their quality on knitwear (cardigans in partucular) and chinos? Worth getting for 40-45€ or is there better stuff out there?

14. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Well-Known Member

I placed two orders during the 5 for $200 sale over Labor Day Weekend since I've been struggling to find shirts with 32" arms. These shirts are a fantastic deal at less than $40 per shirt, but I find the "extra slim fit" to be far from a slim fit at all. I am having a lot of issues with the shirts billowing throughout the day. I am debating on whether or not I should send the second order back since I haven't opened those shirts yet.

15. Snaap

Snaap Member

What are your to-go CT white and blue shirts? (fabric/weave)
    Which ones would you absolutely not recommend?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  16. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend the melbury white twill or melbury sky twill because for some reason they seem to be much baggier and billow much worse than the other shirts I have. They are also longer in the sleeves while being the same sleeve length.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  17. AFCForever

AFCForever Active Member

Sorry tried to delete this as I accidentally posted about getting nailed for customs by TM Lewins.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  18. Snaap

Snaap Member

Thats interessting, my order came yesterday and on the shirts is the melbury white twill, I havent noticed it beeing a different size but I only did a quick fitting and will look into it more rigorously tomorrow, thank you for letting me know!

19. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

I did a search in the thread and couldn't find any info, but does anyone have any experience with CT casual pants. I've been looking for some non low rise pants in good colors at a decent price. CT seems like it may fit the bill based on its online measurements. The slim fit size 30 has a 10.75" rise and a 7.75" leg opening which is perfect for me. I ordered two pairs with unfinished inseams so I can add cuffs. They'll be here in two weeks. I'll do a review once I get them if anyone is interested.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Well-Known Member

^ I have a couple of their cords and I am on my second set of their non-iron chinos in slim fit (three pairs). YMMV but I find the cut very flattering, not skinny but sufficiently slim; the higher rise also helps them to be more of a "grown" pant than the skinny low risers so common these days. Quality is good and they retain shape and crease pretty well. I hope you'll enjoy them!

1 person likes this.