1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt Reviews and Fitting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LooksGood, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Here's the promised follow-up to my immediately previous post to this thread:

I've put the new shirts through a couple of washes now, and haven't experienced any significant shrinkage (of the shirts; this isn't a Seinfeld episode ...).

I must say that the wide spread herringbone is the best 40 dollar shirt I've bought in quite some time. And the "Extra Slim Fit" really is slim.

Cheers,

Ac

2. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

How are CT end of year sales?

3. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

Still waiting for the $39 shirt + free tie sale. [​IMG]

4. Academic2

1 person likes this.
  5. lierre

lierre Well-Known Member

For a white shirt, would you go with twill, poplin, herringbone, or imperial oxford? They're all "non-iron." Which one is made the best? Thanks!

6. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

They are all made to the same quality.

Poplin is fine, crisp and smooth.

Twill is soft, smooth and slightly lustrous.

Oxford is heavily textured and more casual.

Pick the one you like, there is no discernible difference in quality or construction.

7. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Non-iron means less breathability, correct?

8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

meh I haven't really found that to be the case. Maybe slightly.

9. dmass1

dmass1 Well-Known Member

Anyone own their plain woven ties? From the pictures, they look almost texturized, like a grenadine tie. Interested to hear how they look/feel in person and how they've held up, as I'm considering picking up a few of the solid staple colors (burgundy, purple, chocolate brown etc.)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  10. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

I've picked up a few from their shirt+free tie deals. Never actually wore them though, always sold them, so I can't comment on how they hold up. They do have a nice texture that is similar to grenadine, but it is most certainly NOT grenadine. In fact, the texture looks almost identical to The Tie Bar's "grenafaux" line. I owned a few of those before I started investing in Hobers. My verdict on the CT ties: decent and certainly wearable if you get one for free or on deep discount, but I wouldn't pay the usual price of $50 for one. Go with The Tie Bar's grenafauxs ($15) if you're on a tight budget, or grenadines from Hober if you can afford a bit more.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  11. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

^ Fair comment but ...

The CT wovens are almost identical to a garza fina and would take someone who is very well informed with sharp eyes to be close up to you to be able to tell the difference. 99percent of the general public wont be able to.

Tie Bar grenafaux are not baaad for $15 but they inferior to e CTs IMO, they are closer to emulating garza grossas and as such are more prone to pulls. I have one in burnt orange I can sell on if anyone wants it.

12. topos

topos Well-Known Member

I basically agree with this. I have a dark navy woven tie with some texture which I got "free" in one of these shirt+tie deals. It has held up well, ties a decent knot, and I'm basically happy with it. But I definitely agree I wouldn't pay full price (i.e., whatever CT's sale price is) for these ties.

13. Academic2

I got the plain navy woven wool and the plain burgundy woven wool (yes, I'm that boring). Despite the similar descriptions the fabric is quite different in each.

http://www.ctshirts.com/Plain-navy-woven-tie-?q=ray||TW306NAV|4770||||||||||||
    http://www.ctshirts.com/Burgundy-wool-plain-woven-slim-tie?q=ray||TV350BGD|4770||||||||||||

The navy is heavily textured, but definitely not like a grenadine; it's rather stiff in feel and quite thick and heavy. At 3 3/8 inches it's also a bit narrower than I like.

The burgundy is a herringbone pattern, and is somewhat softer but still quite heavy (it really feels like wool: a bit rough), though it’s not stiff like the burgundy. It’s a lot narrower than I like: 2 7/8 inches.

Both are decent enough, but there’s nothing special about them. Since they were free I can’t complain, and I have worn them both.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ac

14. dmass1

dmass1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.

Ac - it looks like you purchased the slim burgundy wool tie. There is also a plain burgundy tie that looks identical to the navy one.

These ties will be free with a shirt... I just can't tell which ones I should buy, as I don't really want any of them specifically. Probably will pick up the burgundy or purple.

15. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

^ Just fyi, it's only one free tie, no matter how many shirts you purchase.

16. Academic2

It's one free tie per order. You can order more than once; that's how I ended up with the two abovementioned ties.

Cheers,

Ac

17. David23

David23 Well-Known Member

Really? Tried that 2 years ago when I ordered online and they canceled the second tie and only allowed me to add the shirt to the first order. I think it's one free tie per household until another deal comes along. Never tried it in store but they have your info saved.

18. JBG89

JBG89 Well-Known Member

Can anyone provide the page i will need to show to get the 1 shirt 1 tie for $40 in store? Thanks

19. Academic2

Worked for me with the recent sale. Used the same mailing address, but a different e-mail address for the two orders. Perhaps that made the difference.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  20. BigRob

BigRob Well-Known Member

I bought a white shirt and a tie from CT. The tie is OK, but the shirt is transparent. I can see my nipples through it and it looks bad with an undershirt, too, because the lines are so clearly visible. Colored shirts might be better.

2/10, would not buy again.