1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt boots with jeans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by minya, Aug 14, 2006.

1. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

ok, i'm sure this is a completely valid reason but it just sounds funny. from the bootsonline.com site:

"Sometimes there may be a delay in obtaining this boot due to the shortage of high quality kangaroo leather"

too bad this doesn't come in brown:

[​IMG]

-Jeff

2. familyman

familyman Well-Known Member

Depends on the top in this case. The boots seem to have a finer toe and sole. Makes them a bit dressy. I wouldn't want to do these with a graphic tee but with a sweater and button down they'd be perfect.
    I guess that's true of all shoes that go with jeans of course so I'm just talking circles here but they're certainly a nice looking boot and would always have to be part of a dressier jeans outfit. You already know this stuff, I'll stop now.

3. minya

minya Well-Known Member

Depends on the top in this case. The boots seem to have a finer toe and sole. Makes them a bit dressy. I wouldn't want to do these with a graphic tee but with a sweater and button down they'd be perfect.
    I guess that's true of all shoes that go with jeans of course so I'm just talking circles here but they're certainly a nice looking boot and would always have to be part of a dressier jeans outfit. You already know this stuff, I'll stop now.

you bring up a good point, which is my main source of hesitation. I wear t-shirts 95% of the time, with the other 5% being button-up shirts. However, I really only wear well-fitted t-shirts with minimal graphics. I'm not necessarily sure if these boots would work with that style of top.

Would a cap-toe/brogue boot be better in this case?

4. j

j Well-Known Member

you bring up a good point, which is my main source of hesitation. I wear t-shirts 95% of the time, with the other 5% being button-up shirts. However, I really only wear well-fitted t-shirts with minimal graphics. I'm not necessarily sure if these boots would work with that style of top.

I don't have a problem wearing boots much like these with t-shirts, but I'm a bit weird. I do think they look somewhat more suitable with dressier "tops", though. Plus, around here we don't have to worry for very long about what is suitable for wear with just a t-shirt.

I think something like a Tricker's brogue boot would be more versatile in that sense, but it's a different look. Also the Trickers and most brogue boots are a lot more substantial, if that matters to you, so they might look a bit heavy if paired with lightweight clothes (lighter jeans and a t-shirt).

5. minya

minya Well-Known Member

yeah, I guess I'm kind of with you. I think the CT boots in question would look great with a nice fitted t-shirt, but I'm not sure if that's just because I'm insane or if that's actually a good look.

6. j

j Well-Known Member

To me, it doesn't matter much whether "it's a good look" anymore. If I like it, I do it. Judging by the feedback I get, if I like it, most other people do too, and the ones who don't either don't care, or don't matter.

7. digital_denim

digital_denim Well-Known Member

Why not go for some cordovans? When you break those in they'll be able to go casual or more dressy. I've been wearing my Alden captoes with a plain tees and jeans and a nice jacket...seems to work (at least I think). It may be too cliche to go with a graphic tee.

really jealous of people that will be getting that wingtip boot from leathersoul.

8. j

j Well-Known Member

Why not go for some cordovans? When you break those in they'll be able to go casual or more dressy. I've been wearing my Alden captoes with a plain tees and jeans and a nice jacket...seems to work (at least I think). It may be too cliche to go with a graphic tee.

really jealous of people that will be getting that wingtip boot from leathersoul.

Where's this?

9. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

NBut its jeans.No need to put so much thought in to it. My philosophy is that if it looks good I'll do it. No need to worry about dressy versus not dressy. If we were talking about a nice suit then yes, I'd be with you [​IMG]

10. digital_denim

digital_denim Well-Known Member

11. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

I was very unhappy about the poor quality of the black leather chelsea boots I ordered from them....

This is a bummer. I was thinking of ordering the black leather Chelsea boots. I have the brown suede chukka from Charles Tyrwhitt and really like them.

Any sources for a similar black leather Chelsea for around the same $$$ ?

Thanks

12. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

This is a bummer. I was thinking of ordering the black leather Chelsea boots. I have the brown suede chukka from Charles Tyrwhitt and really like them.

Any sources for a similar black leather Chelsea for around the same $$$ ?

Thanks

Ebay, every once in a while. I picked up a black bruno magli, brand new, for about $43 or so from ebay seller shoetime, and a black C&J for Polo from ebay seller grapevinehill (aka, GVH) for about $200 (yeah, I overpaid here). I wear the bruno magli with jeans all the time (it has a round toe), haven't decided what to do about the C&J (this one has the very slim, chisel-like toe, looks very much like the 337 last).

In general, you should always be watching for polos and rlpl on GVH. Lots of great shoes, many which go well with jeans.

You could wait about 6 months, and the new AE chelsea that just came out for the fall should start making the rounds on Ebay and the outlet stores. It might even be available from the regular AE stores for 25% off - they occasionally have discounts for the new models.

13. familyman

familyman Well-Known Member

I think it has more to do with the shape and proportions of the boot than any decoration it may have, but yea, all things the same, I think a captoe/brogue would work better. You also need to think about the size of your foot and how big the opening on your jeans is. I've got a small foot at size 8 (I'm 6 foot) so boots and shoes that are more 'elegantly' cut just don't work for me. It's like I've got on dainty balet slippers and looks stupid. If you have larger feet then you can get away with a finer shoe than I ever could and still have the whole thing work out. It's not that these boots are a bad choice, it's just that if you wear t's 95% of the time there may be better choices.