1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Charles Clayton worsted suiting cloth

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HitMan009, Feb 14, 2005.

1. HitMan009

HitMan009 Well-Known Member

I just recieved my mailer from WWChan and was struck by this cloth as their special. I have never heard of Charles Clayton... Can someone fill me in on who they are and most importantly, the quality of their woolens.

Thanks

-HitMan009

2. uriahheep

uriahheep Well-Known Member

The quality is pretty good. Clayton is, predictably, British. I'm not sure whether Clayton is an actual weaver or a "weaver without looms," essentially a cloth designer and fabric merchant as Dormeuil is. The Clayton lines I've seen are Super 120s, Super 150s, Super 150s Tropical, Super 170s and Super 180s.

3. HitMan009

Thanks for the quick reply, uriahheep. Does anyone else have insight into this brand?

4. jester

jester Well-Known Member

No knowledge of the brand, but I will say that I didn't especially like the pinstripe design of the sample I got in my Chan mailing </thanks for the help>.

5. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

6. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

My flier hasn't shown up, yet. What's the price for a 2-piece suit and the yarn length (Super 120s, etc)?

dan

7. HitMan009

It's Super150s.  The price is $910.  The fabric appears to have a nice spring to it.  Pinching as much as fabric as I can from the small swatch, it appears to spring back quite well.  I am thinking it will be a quite good drape. I don't know if I would get a suit with such a high thread count. Comparing the first suit I got from WWChan which was a VBC Revenge to my Loro Piana 120s from the last visit, I would say the VBC cloth to have a much smoother hand and better characteristics material wise. I do love the Loro Piana suit more because I added more personal touches to it and is in a midnight blue. Much more striking then the charcoal grey herringbone of the VBC Revenge fabric.

8. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

Arg -- an increase in the price and a decrease in the practicality of the fabric.  I agree that my VBC Revenge is wearing better than my other fabrics and I have no need for an ultra-fine suit that I can wear only sparingly.  I really wanted to order a regular work suit in charcoal this time around but I guess that's not going to happen.

dan

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

For this trip, I'm pretty set on one-button, peaked lapels, double-breasted vest, trousers for braces.

10. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Well-Known Member

Sooner or later I'll get around to posting pics of my grey two button peaked lapel. It's gorgeous.

11. uriahheep

uriahheep Well-Known Member

VBC - highly recommended.

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

(zjpj83 @ Feb. 15 2005,15:44) For this trip, I'm pretty set on one-button, peaked lapels, double-breasted vest, trousers for braces.
    Sooner or later I'll get around to posting pics of my grey two button peaked lapel. It's gorgeous.
    I basically want to copy this suit by Darren. I have mulled doing a two button vs. one. [​IMG]

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

A one-button peak lapel suit is to me one of the pinnacles of the sartorial art. If well done, it will look perfect, uncommon and quite dashing, however if not done properly the look will fail miserably.

I am sure Darren can make you an exceptional suit, his pictures at least look to be those of a master (I have no personal experience, nor to my knowledge have I seen one of his suits, so please don not go by my very limited experience with his wares).

Jon.