1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

chain stitch hemming

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sbbbjm, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Froosh

Froosh Well-Known Member

Yes, this is from personal experience. I have a 9-year-old pair of raw selvage Daniel Cleary jeans that have good roping with a lock stitch hem. I didn't know anything about raw denim, chainstitch hems, high contrast fades, dealing with shrinkage and stretch (these are unsanforized), or how to take proper care of them back when I got these. I just wore them a lot and washed them a lot. Many of my mistakes from then showed up on these jeans and are still visible, but I didn't hem until after the first or second wash, and the roping is still pretty pronounced.

All that being said, I've still typically gotten better roping with a chainstitch hem than with a lock stitch hem, in my experience.

Thank you cw, that helped me out a lot. I was hesitant to hem but I'll give it a shot.

2. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Well-Known Member

Thanks commodore, is this from personal experience? What's the purpose of the chain-stitch other than for appearance? Or does chain-stitching create even more roping?

With a Union Special chainstitch machine, the foot attachment rolls the hem and pulls it over - increasing roping. You can get similar, perhaps as much, roping using a standard lockstitch but that will require a little more attention from the operator (as would using another chainstitch machine) and of course the stitching itself will look different.

3. tsekh

tsekh Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there is any place around Chicago that does chain-stitching? The chain stitch at the hem of a pair of jeans kind of broke off. I want to have it re-stitched.

4. Ponyboy312

Ponyboy312 Well-Known Member

Sorry Charlie. Mildblend is only place in Chicago with a Union Special and they don't really have one because it is always broken.

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member