• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CG's Artisan & Farmstead Cheese Threak

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking up on Matt's suggestion, I'm starting a separate threak on artisan & farmstead cheese. Some of you follow my blog
I'm also currently a tester for a new cheese in development by Cellars at Jasper Hill in conjunction with Culture Magazine.

...And with this being National American Cheese Month, I'll cross-post some of that. I've copied the posts from the "One Cheese" thread here to get the thread started.

Thanks All!

-Chris
---

Day #1: Hoja Santa- from Dallas. You eat the leaves.

Day #2: Dante
Aged Sheep milk, made in Wisconsin.
More mild than farmstead aged manchego but I've never had a sheep milk cheese I didn't enjoy.

Day #3: Hook's Blue, Wisconsin
Dense and very creamy. Mild enough to eat plain by itself.

Day #4: Hidden Falls
Shepherd's Way Farm, MN

Day #5: Black River Blue, Wisconsin

Day #6: A big soft blob of very goaty Granite Ridge

Day #7: Marieke Gouda, Wisconsin

Day #8 Cowgirl Creamery, Petaluma
"Pierce Pt."

Day #9 Moses Sleeper, Cellars at Jasper Hill, Vermont

Day #10: Green Hill, Georgia

Day #11 - St. Mary's Grass-fed Gouda, Faribault MN

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few older images from earlier posts.

Garrotxa

Natalie in Gray

Quite possibly my all-time fav, Ossau Iraty

Pecorino di Vino

Evalon

Stichelton

Big Woods Blue

Appleby's Cheshire

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
e2ubagab.jpg

7u5eza5y.jpg

Really mild. Prolly very little age. No crystals

Love ossau iraty. One of my favorites as well

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ed-

What to say. For starters, sheep's milk cheeses are my favorite overall, I like the flavor profile, that bit of lanolin and the little bit of oiliness that you get when the cheese is warm.

I especially anything Basque in origin. Ossau is a Northern Basque (southwestern France) cheese. So include Idiazabal (practically tied wit Ossau as a fav), Petit Basque...

Cheeses from La Mancha like Manchego are similar.

I like cheese with a firm, dense bite. I can easily enjoy eating parmigiano plain in chunks. Ossau is a pressed cheese so it has that density. Flavor is really deep and complex. Caramel, ***** (that sheep oily thing), nutty, - not unlike alpine cheese like comte but not generally as sour/tangy. You get the notes of the dry vegetation/herbs etc.

And Ossau holds up really well against big reds AND whites... so I can readily drink an eye-tal barolo or chard with it.
I tend to eat cheeses straight... maybe just with nuts, a little fruit... this is nice with Medjool dates... most similar cheeses are good with membrillo or marmalade...

It's a good grater and melter... I've grated it over caramelized onion tart and also used grated in french onion soup... doesn't give you that melted cap but easier to eat and combines n the soup.

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Room temp... sheep milk cheeses can get a bit unctuous if they get too warm. I don't mind but it can make them more sheepy.
Taste Ossau at your monger and see what you think.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ossau Iraty is one of my favorite cheeses, as well. I just had some this week from spring milk. The best I've tasted. I think ed would like it.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mmmm. petit basque is delicous although i always regret polishing off the small wheel.

i think my favorites are goat cheeses. they have that lovely funkiness and i love the tanginess of chevres. if i could id only eat petit billy and tomme fleur vert

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day #13: Pleasant Ridge Reserve "Extra Aged"
Stunning cheese, multiple best in show at the ACS. The regular Reserve is excellent- the extra depth, the crystals- put this over the top.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Looks very interesting.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I like aged comté. I'm not a big fan of gouda. I hope this one plays more in the comté league..
(I mean (original?) Dutch gouda. Not sure whether "your" gouda is different in taste than Dutch.)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads