1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

Very glad to see this thread!

I would guess for the average poster/lurker here, the question is not 'what's required' but rather 'what can I get away with while still being highly appropriate for a business environment'.

It seems to me that there is a difference between what is modern conservative dress in London vs. north american large cities, and perhaps even between cities in north america. It is, for example, my impression that while a few still dislike it, brown shoes are generally accepted with suits as day to day business wear in most of north america, but not in London.

That sort of difference is extremely useful to understand for those of us who travel, and might otherwise be surprised by shifting standards.

I would have to imagine. Here in Texas, it is entirely acceptable for just about anybody to wear a western hat and/or cowboy boots in almost any situation. At my previous job, I sat in formal meetings with Venture Capitalists and Lawyers wearing awesome suits with hats and perfect boots... Then again, maybe that is just VCs.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I think he meant he likes the brown, but is on the fence because black would have been the CBD choice, Manton.

Mike

Sigh.

I hate to explain jokes but ... the original CBD threads were ... jokes! Everyone has forgottent the troll Kasper/Joseph K. Bank. But he was prolific at the time and the threads were inspired by his schtick.

This thread is not a joke, or at least not intented to be. I really did wear this to work. I work in a conservative place. Suit & tie every day. No casual Friday. My boss even wears his jacket in the office. I never see odd jackets on people on my floor. (People visiting are another story.)

So, yes, this about "CBD" but it's also about what you can do to CBD without straying from the straight and narrow.

Or, at least, it's about what I do.

3. chrisb0109

chrisb0109 Well-Known Member

I will post every day, or every day I can be bothered, or when the spirit moves me, what I wore to work. The idea is to show what CBD is, how it can be bent, and -- crucially -- what the old-timers, or at least me, mean by "classic style." Be warned: this is going to be really dull and repetitive. To those who post your own pics: you WILL be criticized, by me, to the extent that you unsuccessfully deviate from CBD or do anything I disapprove of. Beyond that I will do my best to maintain equanimity, which as we all know is very difficult for me. Today: solid gray worsted twill suit, cream shirt, orangish brown cashmere houndstooth tie, blue & purple paisley square, dull orange & gray striped wool socks, dark brown pebble bluchers.
    You've got to be kidding.

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I would have to imagine. Here in Texas, it is entirely acceptable for just about anybody to wear a western hat and/or cowboy boots in almost any situation. At my previous job, I sat in formal meetings with Venture Capitalists and Lawyers wearing awesome suits with hats and perfect boots... Then again, maybe that is just VCs.

There is a Texan in my office who wears cowboy boots almost every day.

5. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Well-Known Member

Sigh.

I hate to explain jokes but ... the original CBD threads were ... jokes! Everyone has forgottent the troll Kasper/Joseph K. Bank. But he was prolific at the time and the threads were inspired by his schtick.

This thread is not a joke, or at least not intented to be. I really did wear this to work. I work in a conservative place. Suit & tie every day. No casual Friday. My boss even wears his jacket in the office. I never see odd jackets on people on my floor. (People visiting are another story.)

So, yes, this about "CBD" but it's also about what you can do to CBD without straying from the straight and narrow.

Or, at least, it's about what I do.

Your office would appear to be little different from mine.

6. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

I think it's funny that I was (as far as I know) the first to assert this on any forum and it provoked a furor. I cited it only as an ancient rule, FWIW, not something that has to be followed today, or that I follow. Though I mostly used to. Not because of the rule but because I didn't like derbies.
    I agree with you, insofar as I myself would wear this, and that it's good to know as an historical precedent, but not obsessively follow.
    I don't get this. The Italians wear brown with everything.
    Mike clarified it - the Italian side of me is wont to choose brown in almost every situation. I have black shoes that I wear for the occasional times when I feel a whimsy of conservativeness.

7. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

There is a Texan in my office who wears cowboy boots almost every day.

Apparently we don't get the hint when in other locations. Then again, Texans are not good at it not being obvious that we're Texan.

8. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

9. kellgy

kellgy Well-Known Member

I like the idea of this thread since it will contrast some of the more creative clothing combinations in the other threads, in particular, http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=160731. This is a great opportunity for new people (like me) to learn more about the variations that encompass this "dress code".

I hope the uploading problems are ironed out soon.

10. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

^ I say no to the spread collar and that tie Mr. Mafoo.

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Spread is OK but that tie is [​IMG]

12. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Looks good to me though I tend not to wear silvery ties like that to the office. I do sometimes but not much.

13. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

manton: are longwings too heavy to be paired with odd trousers and no jacket?

14. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

My submission:

Wow. That fabric, lapel roll and breast pocket shape are killer. Is this Rubi's house Fresco?

15. mafoofan

That tie is incredibly difficult to photograph. It's actually brown and light blue herringbone, not silver.

16. mafoofan

Looks good to me though I tend not to wear silvery ties like that to the office. I do sometimes but not much.

Really? Why's that?

I'm wearing this to a wedding tomorrow.

17. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

spread collars don't register as CBD IMO.

18. mafoofan

Is no one going to notice that I followed my own pattern-balancing advice?

19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Really? Why's that?

They have a formal/wedding connotation to me.

20. mafoofan

Wow. That fabric, lapel roll and breast pocket shape are killer. Is this Rubi's house Fresco?

It's the house winter-weight hopsack. The tie is also Rubinacci. The shirt is obviously Matuozzo, and the square is a brand-new Charvet I picked up after work today.