1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

Oh good. Inspiration comes in many places.

2. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Well-Known Member

Yes yes. I agree - woollen vs worsted. Yet I did it regardless...

3. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

4. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

That tie is great.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Hows that going?

6. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Well-Known Member

7. Omar1223

Omar1223 Well-Known Member

Someotherstyle, do you mind explaining this comment? Is combining a woolen and worsted piece not appropriate?

GDL, thanks a lot for the reply.

8. someotherstyle

It can be argued that the texture in the tie isn't appropriate with the texture of the suit. Refer to Vox's current thread for something along those lines.

Thanks for the comments on the tie - it is from one of Will's original EG Capelli's MTO runs.

-M

9. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Well-Known Member

I think Vox/FC/Bill meant the scale similarity between the coat's stripe and the shirt's graph paper check. The scales are very similar. Better to vary the scale.

I agree with the others: Beautiful tie, SoS. Looks very nice with either that coat or that shirt.

10. someotherstyle

Fair comment. I can see where you're coming from, however I feel as the shirt is very subtle, it is not overpowering in anyway to have similar scales of pattern. The tie, of course, is another matter of scale.

edit: in order to bring out the shirt pattern, I had to adjust the sharpness/contrast of the photo some. I think it makes it seem a little more pronounced than IRL

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  11. Testudo_Aubreii

I don't mean that it's overpowering. It isn't. It's not loud or garish at all.

If anything, it's too underpowering. It looks like the patterns are trying to be as similar as possible, but can't quite do it. Or maybe this is a better simile: It's as if one of the patterns was trying to hide.

Could very well be that IRL, one doesn't notice the scale similarity. If that shirt reads as a solid from three feet away, the ensemble is faultless.

12. james_timothy

If I was to predict what Vox would say, it'd be that the smooth grey worsted pinstripe suit with white pocket square is on the city end of the city-country scale, and the olive wool tie is past the midpoint of the scale towards the country. That would be a discord, slight, but a discord that didn't seem to be with cause. If one is aiming for truly harmonious, one wouldn't choose it.

If you are lucky, Vox really will dissect the choices for you.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

14. patrickBOOTH

That's nonsense about the olive wool tie.

15. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

If that suit were a solid worsted or a flannel the tie would be fine for me. It's the pinstripes that make the combination with the tie a bit less than stellar. Not bad by any means - just not quite 'over the moon'.

In my mind pinstripes make a suit something very specific and worsted pinstripes even more so. I find it pretty hard to make textured wool ties look great with worsted pinstripe - not impossible - but tricky.

Now - all things are possible (more or less). It's less about the language/labels/categories than it is the actual pieces and the end results.

16. patrickBOOTH

Crap, I didn't notice the pinstripes honestly. Yes, I don't like it anymore. But stripes wool ties with worsted suits. Awesome.

17. someotherstyle

Again I'm with you on this. From more than two feet away, the whole appearance is solids (with of course the exception of the tie). Anyways, enough about this combination and onto the next stellar Gdl fit in my opinion!

18. Testudo_Aubreii

+1.

19. Sonny58

Sonny58 Well-Known Member

Capelli huh? Perhaps F. Corbera considers this an example of discord in quality rather than discord along the city/country line. How much did your suit cost? :)

We'll just have to stay tuned to find out I guess...

20. james_timothy

Thats interesting- and thanks for copying in the quotes, they were a good re-read.