1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late post. From Thursday.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

The thing is, I'm not really that interested in most of the styles posted in SW&D, but I can tell that most posters are doing a pretty good job of dressing in their chosen style. gdl nailed the issue - it's that there's no taste barometer in MC, so good and bad are thrown together and everything get's praised. In SW&D, there are standards.

1 person likes this.
  3. Romain

Romain Well-Known Member

Opening of a CiBiDish week :
    [​IMG]

4. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

I don't know if that is CBD but I do know it looks fantastic.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly but if you even think of stating such on the thread, much less actually naming names, you will be beaten like a ginger stepchild. Someone up thread used the term 'herd instinct' which totally sums it up for me.

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

I miss your input over there but then, I haven't had much occasion to post there recently with only one lackluster exception.

7. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

:thumbs-up: This is an excellent post.

+1

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

If there only were a regular synopsis of guys who successfully dress in a contemporary classic mode, with wearing coat and tie as the foundation, a synopsis shorn completely of defensivess, argument, drama, and forvm effluvia.

9. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Well-Known Member

There used to be such a thing, curated by a guy registered here as voxsartoria. He is missed.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

There's still Vox's Tumblr, but it's sadly lacking in John Steed.

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

On the other hand, without naming names, you're just making a statement which sounds very superior but can never be disproven because you don't name names or give examples. There aren't that many guys that post with a lot of frequency in WAYWRN. I'll grant that 1) I'm not close to the most knowledgeable person, nor do I claim to have impeccable taste, and 2) there are frequent posters whose style I don't really like. So this post is not about me saying that I know better than you. But to come to a different thread and just make a blanket statement like, all those posters over there just look terrible all the time but post so much that they get respect...I mean there are only maybe a dozen people you could be talking about. If you really believe what you're saying, then don't be afraid, post a response to one of their fits on WAYWRN explaining why you think it's bad - a little bit of cordial tone goes a long way in toning down criticism. As a frequent reader of that thread, I've seen this happen multiple times, and as long as the tone isn't offensive, those criticized are usually very receptive.

12. Fred49

Fred49 Well-Known Member

13. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

Thanks for articulating what a lot of us feel...re-quoted so it can be on a new page.

14. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

So why don't the "thought leaders and [formerly-] frequent posters [who] actually have good taste," return?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  15. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

:thumbs-up:

16. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Look up thread, I also suggested naming names as I have done in the past. Yesterday I complimented CTP's pic with a comment along the lines of 'oldog oldtrix could look this good if he got clothes that actually fit him.' Within minutes I got at least three replies (including from CTP himself!!) jumping to the defense of O/O. I'm pretty sure O/O is thick skinned enough to either ignore me or defend himself if he chooses to, but to me this is a perfect example of a poster being deemed as unassailable due to his post volume and board rep. He has a great sense of colour and pattern matching but his choice to constantly wear baggy fits it distracting to me and most unflattering to him. We all know there are 'rules' which can be abided by or ignored, largely due ti their subjective origins, but some might be considered to have their basis in more empirical roots beyond subjectivity. one of these is the V silhouette to outline broader shoulders and a narrow waist which probably denotes health and strength. His silhouette is almost daily the opposite A silhouette. He looks to be in pretty good shape which makes his choices all the more puzzling. Contrast that with heavier framed fellas like e.g. Niidawg or mBreinin who may both have a more stocky frame but their clothes usually do not make their shape look worse.

Niidawg once suggested that Crusty choose his best couple of pics for the week rather than bombard the board with daily mediocre pics. All I did was concur and crusty and his fans got their knickers in a twist not with Nii but with me.

Two examples for you right there of what previous posters on this thread are getting at and responses which illustrate the herd instinct. Some noob criticizes a vet and gets flamed for not knowing anything. Maybe the noob is new to the whole game but the critique comes from some visceral reaction that something is wrong with the pic, and that should hold SOME value and validity.

17. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

oldog/oldtrix has fewer than 800 posts.

18. ctp120

ctp120 Well-Known Member

I think this is a fair question. I certainly wish they would. Maybe it seems more trouble than it's worth? In the last year or so I've posted pics in WAYWRN from time to time, several very recently, but I remember reading it almost daily a few years back (roughly 2004-2008ish) when some of my favorite personalities here were actively involved.

19. unbelragazzo

Thank you, this is much more valuable - actually after I posted I did go read the WAYWRN thread and saw your comments and the responses. People did defend o/o, but I'd hardly call it a shitstorm. O/o has gotten those comments before and surely is aware of them and has made a conscious choice to go a different direction. You made your views known, perhaps others agreed and internalized the message without responding. That's 100x more valuable than pumping this thread full of "posters in another thread look terrible and have no taste", so thank you.

About Nii in particular, respected posters in the past have suggested that his clothes are too tight, so I guess there is disagreement with your opinion. One of those times resulted in some kind of pissing contest, but I can't remember the exact details. I would be willing to bet that the original criticism was made less than diplomatically.

Regarding the value of the thread and the board in general, while I don't favor the fit of o/o's clothes, as you say, I really enjoy his mixing of patterns and textures, so his posting has helped me arrive at a better appreciation of that even if I don't share his sense of fit. There are numerous other posters that I often, but not always, enjoy. I don't think the thread has to be a compendium of perfection to have value. And I don't think the posters and commenters are unreceptive to constructive criticism.

20. unbelragazzo

but many of them are photos in WAYWRN...in terms of fits posted in the last year, he's probably in the top 20.