1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Well-Known Member

2. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Now that I like. Very much.

3. Fred49

Fred49 Well-Known Member

4. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The shirt / tie combo is too busy for my taste (patterns too similar in scale). Nice choice of square.

5. Eustace Tilley

[​IMG][/IMG]

I would definitely change that square - too matchy-matchy w/ the tie. A white linen piped in blue would look good imo.

Otherwise the look is fine, albeit somewhat bland.

6. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I would definitely change that square - too matchy-matchy w/ the tie.

Agreed.

A white linen piped in blue would look good imo.

Disagreed. I think it'd look just as coordinated.

7. Eustace Tilley

Disagreed. I think it'd look just as coordinated.

Hmm, I reread my suggestion and agree with you. The white / blue linen would only accentuate the shirt / tie color combination.

8. Eustace

Eustace Well-Known Member

Now that I like. Very much.

Thanks. Appreciate it.

9. Redwoood

Redwoood Well-Known Member

I'm actually doing that less and less but for certain outfits I think the BD/tie works better than no tie.

I remember at least one thread that is dedicated to this question.
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=210266

Personally, I don't think BD without tie is a good look. With a tie, the collar points towards the wearer's face (and actually forms an arrow with the tie). Without a tie, you have to unbutton the top button, and then the collar buttons force the collar to spread out in such a way as to point downwards, away from the face. At best, the collar is parallel to your neck, which looks odd to me. I guess you could unbutton the BD, but that's a different story altogether.

10. Eustace Tilley

FWIW, I never wear a tie with a BD. I also typically go tieless when wearing a sportcoat (though I probably wear one no more than once a week.)

11. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

wow - a dissertation on the angle of lines created by an unbuttoned collar... [​IMG]

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

SkinnyGoomba,
    that works very well for me. Not a receding into the background look, but a bold/sharp go out there and knock'em dead outfit.

Thank you!

Fred and Old dog, good looks! Old dog's one of my favorite posters for looks on this board. You can tell from the images posted that olddog has been doing this for a long time, and he's comfortable with his personal style.

13. sellahi22

sellahi22 Well-Known Member

I remember at least one thread that is dedicated to this question.
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=210266

Personally, I don't think BD without tie is a good look. With a tie, the collar points towards the wearer's face (and actually forms an arrow with the tie). Without a tie, you have to unbutton the top button, and then the collar buttons force the collar to spread out in such a way as to point downwards, away from the face. At best, the collar is parallel to your neck, which looks odd to me. I guess you could unbutton the BD, but that's a different story altogether.

Agreed. BD without tie becomes like a reverse spread collar. Kind of sloppy, not a good look to my eye. I like medium spread in all situations.

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

The shirt / tie combo is too busy for my taste (patterns too similar in scale).

Agree. The shade and texture of the suit is very nice.

15. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I'm actually doing that less and less but for certain outfits I think the BD/tie works better than no tie.

+1. I have really started to like OCBD with black grenadine tie for brown tweed sportcoats and medium brown grenadine for blue tweeds.

Great thread, BTW.

16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

If/when I wear a tie on a weekend or to a social event, unless it is after work, I always wear a BD collar. And pretty much always with an odd jacket. Linen in summer, OCBD in cooler weather.

To work, a BD maybe once a month. I actually got comments on it yesterday. Typically, nothing I wear, not even vests, elicit comments.

17. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

The OCBD, with or without a tie, is secksy. [​IMG]

18. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

As someone who used to do this a lot, here are a couple of thoughts. My first impression was that the shirt and tie are too "matchy", although it's really not that egregious. I think it's a natural inclination to think purple tie when you are looking at that shirt. In fact, if you walk around any run of the mill department store, they will have shirt and tie combos laid out like that all over the place. If you want to play off of the color of the shirt with the tie, I've found it to be more elegant to choose a tie where the base color is softly contrasting the shirt, but with details in the tie that might tie it to the shirt.

Anyways, just a few amateur thoughts from my own experience.

Thanks. I find ginghams and checks difficult to pattern 'match' so I tend to stick to solids, or very large paisleys. Avoiding scale/business problems always feels tricky. As I've got more than one purple/lavender/mauve shirt I probably ought to try and think about appropriate ties. Grey is safe with the right suit, and I guess burgundy will be fine. Green sounds good in theory, but greens seem to be a pig to use successfully.

19. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

My main concern with this fit is not the colors, but the fact that the suit has a good bit of sheen to it. I am wondering if this takes it out of the realm of CBD.

Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whilst it has a sheen I think it avoids the 'shiny' suit look, and I suspect under office lighting the sheen is reduced anyway. I like the combining btw.
    [​IMG][/SPOILER]
    Yellow tie with a white shirt [​IMG]

Navy suit today, feeling bold.

I confess I don't see the problem with this shade of yellow on a white shirt.
    Continuing with the blue and grey theme...today's PS is white linen [​IMG]

Much better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would swap the tie, and personally I'm not a fan of elasicated shoes beyond chelseas but that might just be my narrow mindedness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Burgundy or cream PS instead.

20. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Well-Known Member

Chiming on the BD with suit/tie, I think BDs are traditionally (and still are) too casual for a business or worsted suit. Maybe with a country suit, cotton suit or linen suit, but the button down is an informal shirt, and not suitable to be worn with a tie and business dress.