1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

CBD WAYWRN: An Experiment

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

Why have you not posted this in regular WAYWRN?

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Dig, you have arrived.

(swap the gloss white PS for a linen one though)

VERY well done.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Hot damn, Dig! That's the stuff. I second Spoo's PS recco, though.

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Thanks. You've left some big footprints in which to follow. I'm still toddling along.

I'm tryin'! Thanks!

This means very much to me. You were encouraging and constructively critical from the very beginning and through all of the stumbles and steps along the way.

This is the second time today you have said this to me. The first was as I was putting the square into the pocket.

In my haste, I knew it was wrong but time had run out on my preparations and I just plain forgot that I had a very serviceable plain white square folded in my hip pocket...a habit carried over from my youth as a Boy Scout (Be Prepared). Thanks also for the thumbs up.

Noted. I'll try not to let it happen again! :embar: And thanks!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

The suit is CBD, and fits you very well, but the tie most definitely is not. White shirt is about as CBD as you can get, but do you have any shirts with a more substantial collar? I think that'd up your look immensely.

Also, might want to pare down the picture count.

6. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Well-Known Member

- both cloths are Loro Piana 4 Season wool/cashmere

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I don't see why this tie isn't CBD. I think it fits the Edmorel principle that you can have one FU item. I would hardly consider this tie FU though... I think something like that would be CBD, but certaintly separates the stylish from the perfunctory.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  8. Digmenow

I wanted a few extra shots of this for posterity. Next time, I'll be less exuberant, I promise.

Regarding the collar, this is something with which I am struggling a bit. Can you be more specific? Taller? Longer points? Both?

Thanks for finding the words to express my intent. I was a bit unsure of the PoW but figured WTF, let's give it a shot in CBD. The tie was because it was easy to go with a navy / small paisley or some such and my understanding of the original purpose of the thread (admittedly now a moving target) was to look for the edges of CBD instead of trying to stand in the exact center of it.

9. patrickBOOTH

I think you need a wider spread.

10. Digmenow

This but wider? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

[​IMG]

11. patrickBOOTH

I would say higher and wider.

12. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

+1
    The tie could work very well as CBD. CBD doesn't mean infallibly boring.

POW is definitely not CBD, however. This is not to say that this outfit isn't quite sharp.

As for the collar, I think the spread is fine. If anything, the tie space is too big for a spread this wide. It makes it look like the collar isn't buttoned.

1 person likes this.
  13. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

first of all. the sharpest look, i've seen from you(not seen all...).

my concerns:

these socks are CBD??? if yes. heaven forgive.

i like the shoes(a lot). nice patina and all, but not in this context.

before somebody jumps in. i can see brown shoes as CBD. actually, i have approximately eight different shades, from tan over cognac to chocolate and six shades of burgundy/red in my rotation.

14. UrbanComposition

Meh, I guess you're right - to be honest, if I saw it in an office setting, I wouldn't think it looked garish. It would stand out, tho.

CBD doesn't stand out; it blends in. I personally don't consider POW very CBD, which is why I didn't post yesterday's fit here. However, I see enough POW suiting in offices, and Dig's is pretty subtle - it's passable. A bright orange tie, tho, stands out, and from far away. Not very CBD...how about "on the edge CBD"? :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  15. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

agreed. dig's is bronze...

16. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

This is a common misconception. First, you have to consider context. If everyone is dressing up as Bozo the Clown and you show up looking like James Bond does CBD, who stands out?

Second, analogize this to personality. Contrast someone who is extremely panicky and super-demonstrative with someone who is calm, cool and collected. The panicky, demonstrative person is sure to get "noticed" but it is the calm, cool person whom everyone looks to for leadership. That the calm, cool person isn't constantly in people's faces doesn't mean he or she "blends in."

Your last effort is an excellent example. Walking into a room full of strangers, no one will overlook you. On the contrary, you will get marked out as a serious player even before you say "Hello."

17. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

Today, featuring another Ugly Tie. Some cleaner pressed the life out of these lapels a while ago; I am still trying to bring them back to life.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. UrbanComposition

Fair enough. A shiny tie in a sea of shiny ties will turn no heads.

Lufty, I really like that. Spiffy.

19. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

This speaks to part of why it seems a struggle to clearly label a look or a specific item as either CBD or not CBD. Because the overall effect of a 'fit' should convey an appropriate understanding on the part of the wearer as to his 'rank' in the situation. Ie - we all know the higher the rank you attain the more you are allowed, even expected, to bend the rules.

And then we also have the many different contexts and environments in which these rules are interpreted to consider.

Thus the definition of CBD is actually pretty darn fluid when you also consider context and the wearer. As only the greenest of newbies is really expected to comply to the letter of CBD rules these days, and even then only in the most formally run organizations. At least in my experience.

Perhaps RF CBD (rank and file), MM CBD (Middle Management), ECBD (Executive) and SRCBD (Senior Executive) would be more appropriate categories! :happy:

Although I doubt any of us here really want to admit just how complex these things can be in some industries. And I more seriously doubt any of us want to fuck up our fun on here by getting this specific!

I need a cocktail now!

20. TTO

TTO Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    -TTO

1 person likes this.