1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Casual Button Down Shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tgod93, Jan 2, 2013.

1. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

Hello all.

I have been looking for some good fitting, casual button down shirts.
    The best fitting / reliable brand that I have been able to find so far is J.Crew, but I am not a big fan of their shirt lengths/tails.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for shirts that are well fitted and not too long? I'm only 5'8-9 and because they are casual, I wont want to tuck my shirts in... therefore I dont want shirts that are too long.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

3. BigC222

BigC222 Well-Known Member

Brooks Brother oxford button downs are nice and reasonably priced.

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

You made a thread for this?

There's at least 3 forum vendors alone that make shirts that fit your needs: Epaulet, WvG, Taylor Stitch.

And then there's Wings + Horns, Our Legacy, Aspesi and probably some more I'm forgetting.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  5. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

I believe J. Crew's slim fit is slightly shorter than the standard cut if you aren't buying those already. I'm roughly the same height as you, and some of them hit a good length after I've run them through the dryer once or twice (size medium). Some others, oddly, are still a little longer than ideal to wear untucked.

Honestly the most cost-effective and precise option is probably going to be to continue to buy J. Crew button downs, and have a tailor take them up exactly how much you want. That's pretty much what I'm about to do, since they have a good and rotating fabric selection, and you can wait on their sales a few times a year and get several pretty cheap.

If you want to try some brands a little higher on the food chain or are looking for something a little less vanilla, the options in the preceding post are a good place to start.

6. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

thanks for all the responses guys!

i should have mentioned... my limit is about $90~ for each shirt. So $135 for each shirt is a little too much for me.

7. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

8. nakedundermyclothes

nakedundermyclothes Well-Known Member

uniqlo, brooks brothers, gitman brothers vintage, steven alan, folk. find them on sale

9. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

thanks for the post.

i checked out Brooks brothers already. Their sport shirts seem a little bit long to be worn untucked... same with uniqlo.

as for the others, gitman brothers vintage has some really nice shirts but ill just have to wait for some super sale or something lol cuz even on the current sale they are like $150+ a bit out of my price range

:(

thanks again though

10. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Go MTM. Problem solved.

11. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Band of Outsiders used on eBay may fit your bill

12. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

Don't they only do dress shirts? I am just looking for casual shirts.

13. theroc

theroc New Member

Just casual? Maybe Land's End, Express, Gap, try looking at Macy's.

14. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

casual, as in not a dress shirt.

So id still like a nice fit/quality

15. tgod93

tgod93 Well-Known Member

bump.

i still havent found a brand yet...

jcrew still seems like the best option but they dont have as many colors/styles at the moment.

so if anyone else can throw me some ideas, i would really appreciate it

16. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Well-Known Member

just get your j crew lengths taken in a bit for $10 at a local tailor. if everything else fits the way you like it that's not bad OTR

17. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

What? Do are 'they'? MTM is a process, it's not a firm. You can ask for shorter length, exposed placket, button down collar, etc. to make it more casual.