1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by VMan, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

To add, my favorites are:

BMW M3

Acura NSX

Subaru WRX STi

Porsche 911 (any model, I love them all)

2. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Dodge Viper SRT-10 (relatively affordable exotic. Â True convertible, 2nd coming of the Shelby Cobra, 70,000 mile warranty)
    [​IMG] A viper... exotic? Sorry, I chuckled when I read that.
    Depends on your definition of "exotic." If you define "exotic" by performance, then I would think that the Viper certainly qualifies. It will hang with cars like the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale and Lamborgini Gallardo, which I think most folks will agree is an "exotic." In terms of numbers, I guess it's relative. There are a lot fewer Vipers than there are Ferraris, but the Vipers are not a limited production car like the Enzo. I'd be willing to bet that in Europe, at least, that there are more Enzos than Vipers. I think in my entire life, I've seen less than 10 Vipers total on the street. They certainly aren't common. I've seen a lot more Ferraris than that.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

(Brian SD @ 21 July 2004, 2:12) Quote Dodge Viper SRT-10 (relatively affordable exotic. True convertible, 2nd coming of the Shelby Cobra, 70,000 mile warranty)
    [​IMG] A viper... exotic? Sorry, I chuckled when I read that.
    Depends on your definition of "exotic." If you define "exotic" by performance, then I would think that the Viper certainly qualifies. It will hang with cars like the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale and Lamborgini Gallardo, which I think most folks will agree is an "exotic." In terms of numbers, I guess it's relative. There are a lot fewer Vipers than there are Ferraris, but the Vipers are not a limited production car like the Enzo. I'd be willing to bet that in Europe, at least, that there are more Enzos than Vipers. I think in my entire life, I've seen less than 10 Vipers total on the street. They certainly aren't common. I've seen a lot more Ferraris than that.[/quote] I guess it all depends where you reside. Here in South Florida, I see Vipers all the time; of course I also see Ferraris, Lamborghini's, Aston Martins, RR and Bentleys, several Maybach's (I was in one, the 62, that is one massive car, like a S600 on steroids with 20" wheels). Notice I don't mention Porches? Why? Because I must see 50-60 Porsche everyday. And most of them are not Boxster's, they are 911's. The Toyota Camry of SoFLA is either the Lexus ES 300 / Mercedes C-Class. I have even seen classic cars on the street before...and I don't mean Ford T's. I have seen a 1928 MB SSK, an Auburn Boat Tail Speedster, and a MB 500k Special Roadster, plus several others. A trip to South Beach, Palm Beach, or Las Olas Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale will certainly prove my point. But, unfortunately the display of wealth sterilizes you, and you notice that it no longer fazes you, which is not good. Jon. Also, There have been a lot more Ferraris made than Vipers, and for a much longer period of time, so the probability of seeing a Ferrari before seeing a Viper is great, just based on statistical data.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

I mean that a Viper is not special in the way a Ferrari or a Porsche is special. A car does not become exotic, at least by my standards, simply because it's fast or because it is rare to see. An exotic car is a work of art - an engineering masterpiece, not just a fast car. Every piece of it is designed and proportioned in a way that it gives an amazing experience. For about $10,000 you can make a Neon go faster than a Ferrari, but that surely does not make the Neon exotic. More specifically on the Viper, I would call it a muscle car more than anything. It's a Dodge with a V10 in it, and really not much else, it's extremely heavy and the stylings and lines of it are more in line with Corvettes and Cadillacs. It's fast - absolutely. It's VERY fast, but it doesn't perform the way an exotic car does. It doesn't even feel like a pure sports car to me. I would take a four-cylinder S2000 over the Viper any day of the year. To add: I see about 4 - 5 newer Porches daily, and I see Vipers 2 - 3 times a week, and sometimes many more if I'm driving on a different freeway. Central San Diego is hardly considered prestigious (yet, anyway... but the "manhattenizing" of downtown San Diego is another argument completely&#33[​IMG]. If I'm in La Jolla, I see less Vipers and more Lamborhginis and Ferraris, which I credit to better taste.

5. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Point taken. Â The Viper is more of a blue collar muscle car when compared with European supercars. Â It's not an "exotic" in the same vein as an Enzo, F1, or 959, all of which were the ne plus ultra of engineering when they came out. Â It doesn't have the carbon fiber, connelly leather, or exquisite fit and finish of an exotic. Â Doesn't have the exclusivity or feel of such cars. Â The Viper has little in common with the Enzo, and is more along the lines of the old Shelby Cobras (right down to the "shake your fillings loose" ride and burning your leg on the side exhaust.) Â I would argue with the Viper not being a "pure sports car." Â To me, it is about as "pure" as sports cars get. Â The car is really pretty bare bones. Â Other than the air conditioning and stereo, there isn't anything on the car that isn't designed to increase the car's performance. Â There's no traction control, driver aids, or other newfangled gadgets. Â It takes a fair amount of time and effort to learn to drive the car well. Â It's a "driver's car" above all else, and driving it is a lot of fun, both on the road and on the track. Â Â It certainly handles better and is a lot more fun to drive than my old Fiat Spyder or Triumph Spitfire, both of which are classic sports cars. Â I've driven an S2000 (on a twisty SOLO course and on the road), and handling and general performance of the Viper are simply in a different league. Â I find the Viper to be a lot more fun than the S2000, but your mileage may vary. Â Kai

6. Joe G

Joe G Well-Known Member

Nope. I'll not be in the market for such a car, now or ever, so driving one seems rather besides the point. For the quarter-million dollars a new Aston costs, one could build a mosque and a school in many countries, as well as paying the salaries of an imam and small staff of teachers for a year. And two decades hence all of the electronics will have broken on any new car, rendering it essentially a display piece.

My theory on new exotics is that they are baubles for people who consider things such as commodities trading to be actual careers rather than just hobbies or sidelines to real businesses. They lack neither the character of seasoned vintage motorcars nor the design ingenuity of the smallest, lightest sports cars and microcars. There was much more thought, and a higher quality thereof, required to create the Fiat Panda, Citroen Pluriel, or VW Lupo than one finds in the entire lineups of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, and Aston Martin combined.

Peace,

JG

PS: Kai, I cannot urge you more strongly to take a Federal Elise for a spin. In truth the American version, with its Toyota/Yamaha motor and 6-speed, is probably superior to my Rover K-series powered Elise. The only thing you have to fear is that it will make your Viper feel like a turgid jelly-bodied porker on your drive home, assuming you don't part-exchange it on the spot.

7. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

I'll always remember the first time I saw a Viper - the guy pulled out of a parking lot onto the street in a full sideways slide, lifted off a bit and then floored it again and blew past me at about 70mph  [​IMG]

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

my car is a '94 Jaguar xj40 (aka xj6). as sedans go, it's pretty neat. straight 6, 4L engine, and heavy. and in my opinion it has a well-designed modern look. 'regency red' with a tan interior, so i can feel sporty even though it's not a sports car. i think it's a real gentleman's sedan. i love it even though i don't drive it much (public transit commuter).

my wife drives the 'family' car, a '99 lexus rx300 that was on sale as a lease return a couple years ago. the lessee was a lexus fanatic and took great care of it. it carries the kids and cargo (love the fold-down seats), and goes up hills. i ride in the back seat and play with the baby.

/andrew

9. PHV

PHV Well-Known Member

I drive my dad's X5 or my mom's CL500.

Thats when I'm home... I live in montreal (and am moving to new york in 2 years), so I hope that I wont need a car in the near future.

10. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Nice vehicles.

Which engine do you have in the X5?

11. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind having a Maybach, if just for the back seats.

12. PHV

PHV Well-Known Member

(PHV @ 10 Oct. 2004, 9:18) I drive my dad's X5 or my mom's CL500. Thats when I'm home... I live in montreal (and am moving to new york in 2 years), so I hope that I wont need a car in the near future.
    Nice vehicles. Which engine do you have in the X5?
    I'm not sure, like 4.8L... he most likely got the biggest one because they're supposed to be quieter.

13. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

(VersaceMan @ 10 Oct. 2004, 7:29)
    I drive my dad's X5 or my mom's CL500. Thats when I'm home... I live in montreal (and am moving to new york in 2 years), so I hope that I wont need a car in the near future.
    Nice vehicles. Which engine do you have in the X5?
    I'm not sure, like 4.8L... he most likely got the biggest one because they're supposed to be quieter.
    Ok, I'm not sure if the biggest is a 4.4 or a 4.8, but whichever one it is, I've heard it's got great pick-up.

14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Did you by any chance go the the Ferrari exhibit this past summer at Rockefeller center?

Several cars on your list were on display.

The 275 NART Spyder is my all time favorite. That car alone makes The Thomas Crown Affair worth watching.

15. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Is the red car in the third picture the new 430?

16. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Well-Known Member

I've got to see Times Square at dawn.

17. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

2002 Ford E250
    2002 BMW 330CI--just hit 10,000 miles this week

both dark blue metallic

18. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I didn't recognize the CS without the tri-color stripe. I saw the larger ducts, and thought that maybe it was a factory 430 in NYC for an event. Can't wait to see a 430 in person. Hopefully somebody will bring one to one of our track events so I can test out its performance on the race track too. It's supposed to have higher performance than the 360 CS, but without the stripped out and noisy cockpit. All in all, a very lustful vehicle.

19. Superskier

Superskier New Member

A WRX hasn't a chance against a Corvette unless the Vette gives the Subie a major head start, or there isn't anyone in the Vette.

In the curves the WRX will get owned.

1/4 mile the WRX might be in front (AWD) to the top of second gear but once the Corvette gains traction it'll be long gone.

As far as driver's cars go, I'm not sure how a Subaru has a huge advantage over an Audi? Cost maybe, but in the end, you get what you pay for.

As far as handling - BMW (hot or not) > WRX.

Just my .02

Cars I'd like to own:

288 Ferrari GTO
    Ferrari 355 Spyder
    McLaren F1
    Porsche GT3 (track events.)
    Aston Martin DB9 (super class.)
    1969 Camaro Z28

Cheers.

20. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so I thought I would make it about something that I cherish. I drive a maroon 1971 Volvo 1800e with 249k miles on it. It's the same car that Roger Moore drove in "The Saint" TV series. It's my first car and I hope it stays around for a while.