1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Yeah, for some reason they think that the wage slaves who drive 30 minutes per day at 30mph are less inclined to crash than some fireman who is driving at 90mph to get to the station before the engine leaves.

Oddly when I was a pilot I had two chocies; Stunt Pilot or Airline Pilot. One gave me a premium of about £7,000 and the other was about £500. They really do believe that it makes a difference.

1 person likes this.
  2. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

Ferrari did a lot of help for Getrag in developing that series in high-reving NA engines and close-ratio gearing. BMW saw a good thing and ran with it with a lower torque rating variant. Also, I didn't think the Golf was that shoddy. When cold and in the city, the E92 managed to fumble 1-2.

They're quoting you 120/month? That better come with Justin Bieber level coverage. I pay 240/month for the M4, Tesla, and renter's combined with State Farm in Socal. Coverage is 250k/500k/unlimited umbrella, 1k deductible on the cars; 300k all in on the renter's - they tacked on a few things like earthquake coverage and such and lowered my rate $15 when I moved here from Atlanta.

I started off at 130 odd for my previous M3 when I was 29. I'm 32, clean driving history, single male. As much it made me cringe, I picked entrepreneur as my occupation - factually correct, but hate the word.

If you're older than 25 (as you are), that is highway robbery.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  3. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I would pick stunt pilot just because

3 people like this.
  4. SirReveller

SirReveller Well-Known Member

Hahahahahaahaha
    Christ that was funny

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Yep, it's actually $137 a month. And that's the lowest quote I got. I have a clean record and everything. Coverage is for 100/300, $500 deductible. The next cheapest one for the same coverage, but another carrier, is $247...

I was paying around $220 a month on insurance when I had my E60 M5 for similar coverage.

6. SirReveller

HooWee! Entrepreneur eh? "I gotta open mehself a convenience store or some sh*t" :p

7. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Debating between an '06 A4 Avant or BMW 325xi for the wife. Any thoughts on reliability. She's liked them both - may go look at a similar vintage A6, but probably too big for her.

Bump that deductible up to $1000. There's your problem.

8. SirReveller

Prolly splitting hairs on reliability w those two. Beamer electrics suck when they get old. '06 A4 looks better..'06 325 more original a choice...kick her up to a few yrs back 330?

9. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

Yeah, felt like shit for it, but I'm a tool for The Man. I didn't feel like explaining why I make $1 a year at a startup. Plus the woman was cute and it got me some more inquisitive/what do I do time with her :).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. GreenFrog

Those are both the early years of those cars generations. I'd go a year or two newer and get the BMW. The B7 A4s don't have the best reliability when it comes to electricals.

Re: insurance, even with the higher deductible, it wouldn't get me to the sub-$100 range, which I fully expect to be eligible for at my stage in life. Esp with a small, cheap car.

11. GreenFrog

"I'm doing XYZ to make the world a better place..."

:p

12. brokencycle

Interesting seeing JD power and Consumer reports tend to rate the 06s the highest compared to neighboring years.

13. SirReveller

My ind't mechanic is all German import and after 25yrs doing a ton of BMW and Audi he claims the beamer engines are "bulletproof" vs Audis. Picture me standing w 7 Audis on hoists asking the question too lol

Of course, *which* engine(s) is very important for actual purchase decisions...

Just another single sample to throw out for members to endorse or discard depending on what they own... :)

14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

: ( I seem old online?

Check Wawanesa for insurance, usually pretty cheap

Also, have you had any accidents in the past few years? that could be a major reason

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Take it as a compliment; you don't seem like a wibbling insecure post-adolescent.

If I do, fuck off, I'm 43. :)

1 person likes this.
  16. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

Bimmer. Beemers are bikes

Actually BMW electrics are fine nowadays, you probably have more to worry with Audi. +1 BMW
    I'm not a big fan of BMW's xdrive and the version on e90 was only the the 2nd generation. Audi Quattro is far superior. Buddy of mine had an 07 530xi and the xdrive went out on him too many times to count. Friggin moneypit +2 Audi

BMW only made the e90 325/330 in 2006. 2007 and up were the 328 and the turbo 335.
    328 has more hp and torque than the 325 but you can really feel the torque difference. Not much of a performance gap between the 328 and the 330. Big performance gap between 325 and the 328
    2006 330 you can get for a steal
    2007 335 had expensive injector and high pressure fuel pump issues. There was a big recall on them

2 people like this.
  17. brokencycle

Yeah, I saw a 335xi with no miles for like $13k at a BMW dealer, and the sales guy told me to avoid them. Showed me all of the things they had to fix under warranty plus all the work they did when it came in at 70k miles. Compared to a 330 that had almost nothing in the first 100k miles.

1 person likes this.
  18. SirReveller

Get RWD and snow tires/black dontcare rims. Way more fun 2/3 of the year and worth the cost and a bit slower in a blizzard.

1 person likes this.
  19. brokencycle

I'm not getting a 535. I'm considering a 528 or 530. They are on my list, but I think a newer Taurus Limited is top of my list right now. I'm going to go try a Fusion Titanium and Regal Turbo.

20. GreenFrog

What's your budget? Get the bimmer. The odds you will regret it are very low if you do your due diligence (dat alliteration) and get a well-maintained one.