1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

which one of yall is going to buy that 959 at Pebble Beach?

2. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

Why do they call them "cigars"? I tried googling the question but apparently there's an actual cigar company called Jaguar so that was a major failboat.

3. nootje

nootje Well-Known Member

Its got to do with the general shape of the car. If you look at any jaguar XJ before the successor to the x350, you'll see that the major lines of the car are perpendicular (bottom of the car and the window bottom, which taper at both ends like so <=> , which makes the car arguably look like a cigar.

The x350 was the last with this shape, which a lot of jaguar enthousiasts lament...

The shape of the cigar is called a figurado, which was the shape used in a lot of older cigars:

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=i&rct=...RUBp30lz_71FSTAoNghmWKpQ&ust=1435157955693012

edit: bloody autocorrect

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  4. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Most excellent.

5. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

:rotflmao: self-drivers

6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

I thought the Datsun name was only used for the US market an they just decided to scrap it entirely and just have a single name and had nothing to do with quality. That being said I spent coutless time in my cousin's Datsun 280z. Now that was a nice car

7. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Also known as "drivers".

Datsun was the brand name in Europe, too.

8. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks for the info!

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

inside joke.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

How does this work? You get to just take the car and drive it for a couple days with dealer plates? What about insurance? I guess it just counts as an extended test drive under the dealership's insurance policy?

11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

No, this is poor sentence construction on my part. Should have said that I stopped by a dealer last weekend and they let me drive the car while I was there. I didn't have the car for the entire weekend

12. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

Hroi is right. It's actually pretty easy to test drive a McLaren - nicest folks around. At least in my experience, it's just another test drive. My best friend and I were at Park Place MB/McLaren in Dallas while his MB was getting the annual service.

We wandered around and the McLaren guys asked what we were looking for, and my friend said that his MB car was just in for service. The McLaren guys just said make yourselves at home. We came across Kimi's F1 car (not roped off) and the guys couldn't have been nicer about it. Hitting the BPF button on that car was a highlight of my life. It was leaking oil, and the guys said, yeah the owner tracks these things.

13. GreenFrog

Dallas? When were you there? I used to live in Dallas for two years form '12 - '14! Drove by that Park Place dealership all the time to get to BMW of Dallas :p

14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

I'm currently in Dallas for work. It is 95 and humid. Last week it flooded. Dallas blows

15. GreenFrog

Check out torchis tacos and get the migas with Diablo sauce.

:drool:

16. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

My only complaint with Torchy's is they need better tortillas. Also, too many hipsters eat there.

17. GreenFrog

18. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

Wait...what? An 09 335 xdrive with a salvage title? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Funny - I know exactly where those pictures were taken. That's the town of Elmont in Nassau County on Linden Blvd., 4 blocks from the Queens border. I played soccer for them for years. There used to be a Carvel Ice Cream across the parking lot from the Dunkin Donuts that had no facilities for customers, just a window to order from. The Popeyes was a Sizzler Steak House. My first bank account where I stashed all of my Pennysavers earnings was in that Chase bank building, back when it was the Dime Savings Bank of NY. And that PC Richards has been there forever.

Talk about fukkin random

19. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

I'd pay to not buy that car.

Also, I ate at Torchy's when I was in Austin for work. It was good, but like everywhere in Austin, hipsters everywhere.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

How much!