1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

I think that's exactly what happened. It just needs two at an auction. I don't remember how many bidders but there were quite a few interested parties bidding beyond $400k, already crazy by itself. The "logical" explanation from the pundits is exactly that shifter as they only made a few with it and it is the last Ferrari that you could get with a manual. I park my $682k elsewhere ...

2. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

3. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

I dunno ii this Stalhl dude was being a douche or the buyer has much money to know what to do with. It sold at firkin RM. Here's the listing: http://rmauctions.com/am15/amelia-island/lots/2007-ferrari-599-gtb/1072852

It has the date of the sale. If he thought the car was so special, then why didn't he put it at an RM auction himself? Selling to your friend or trying to get your dealer to buy it back. They weren't going to buy it of him turn around sell it for a loss. Your friend is likely also not competing for in a room with billionaire private bidders on the phones. The winner paid 750k after buyer's fees.

Just search for a manual 599 for sale. Maybe search auto trader.if you have low expectations and throw upcoming auctions. There couldn't be that many for sale at any given time.

I'm care about going back to SF. If you're selling a car that you think is special simply because they only made 30 thats the number people that wanted them. Look here first:

http://rmauctions.com/lots/?categor...&currency=&toYear=&fromYear=&make=&lot=&year=

I wish I were dumb enough to be that rich.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  4. ramuman

I didn't people really consider so many factors when deciding how to for a car.

Piob and I strongly like leasing new cars that you will cycle through every 2 or 3 years. I don't want to speak for him I'll give you thoughts though.

• The residuals on a lot of cars are pretty close to selling it to a private party if you place the MF and reduction of MSD games right.
    • Selling a car involves a lot of your time. You might have to wait for them to from another state, they might not have their financing place, etc.
    • This is a big one for me - I can get in bad accident, as I recently and if it's totaled, I can walk away, lease is terminated. It has body damage and is totaled, No insurance company going to compensate you for the actual depreciation or your time in explaining to every future buyer what happened

• Financing depends on your situation a bit differently.
    • It makes sense if you plan to keep the car a long time and lets you defray the costs over a longer period of time - it's essentially like a 6 year lease instead of a 3 year lease and if you get a very low APR (many options, credit unions, banks or the dealers themselves), it's gonna beat any MF
    • It's also sorta makes it feel a bit more like your own car
    • You can do it any situation

5. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Anyone had experience leasing an Audi? I heard the residuals were shit and it's more cost effective to buy cars like this (which I wouldn't). But curious to see if anyone has personal experience.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I can only talk their SUVs and I shopped the Q7 for me and the Q5 for her. Residuals and MF sucked balls. I mean, the Q5 was more expensive lease experience than a GL 450.

7. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Thanks...RS7 residual is supposedly 48% (wtf) for 36/12k which is a non starter. A friend of a friend is a GM for a local dealership so I'm sending my friend to get a no-BS answer.

8. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

Apart from the leasing hassle, that is probably one of the only four door cars I would love to drive. What an awesome vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I would believe that. The SUVs, which always have higher residuals than cars, were well under 50%.

10. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

I've always thought of leasing as a hedge against depreciation, regardless of the residual amount.

If Audi is being too conservative with a 48% residual, your resulting payments are just building equity that you should be able to access upon disposition of the vehicle. As long as you're not concerned about a $20 or $100 difference in your payments - and really, if you are, you should look at something else entirely - you'll get it all back at the end. It's not like you're walking away from the equity at the end of the term - there's always a couple of ways you can recapture it...

I'd focus more on MF / interest rates and make sure you're doing a closed-end lease.

And the same applies if the residual is too high. I remember the lease on my M6 back in 07 had a 62% residual over 36 months (ha!)... Sure, that made my payments lower than they should've been, but I sure was happy to give the keys back at the end of the term knowing the ~$15k in negative equity was BMWs problem.

11. ramuman

Jesus - I thought BMW's race to the bottom was fast. Audi crossed the 50% finish first it seems.

12. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

I am in the market for a new car as my lease is expiring. My wife is also looking too. I can't believe these people on CL trying to get someone to assume their lease. They just want you to take it over and pay some fraction of the lease transfer fee. Why would I buy out your lease when I could go lease a new car for the same price (and probably negotiate a better price)?

I guess maybe some of these people put a decent down payment down on a lease, but that's crazy.

Anyway, I hate car shopping. It is such an awful time suck.

Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised about the residuals. My wife wants a small SUV, and I was just looking around and there is a Q5 Prestige listed here for ~$23k with 46k miles on it. The MSRP on a new one is $56k.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  13. ramuman

So, the M4 was finally put back together after 6 weeks to a drivable condition. BMW's body shop took it to the BMW mechanics for a final checkup and there are issues with the transmission. It's another week at least.

At 7 weeks, I'll have paid $3200 in payments for a car I don't have.

As far as the uninsured woman, turns out she had a policy, but had fallen way behind - so my insurance went after her (expired) insurance to the point where her insurance company agreed to pay the costs (so I won't get hit with an uninsured claim) and then go after her assets. I'm guessing someone who can't pay insurance can't pay 15k as the tab stands now.

I will say, I see all these cheap insurance company ads, and at the end of the day, the slight bit more I paid for State Farm has kept my blood pressure low.

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Used is the way to go brah. I don't know the market for Q5s, but $23k for one with 46k miles sounds like a great deal. Is it CPO (probably not, but, hey)?

I was just gonna ask -- are you responsible for the payments for a car that you cannot drive? Would the insurance company cover those costs?

15. ramuman

Yup, you're responsible. You can go after the party in court though.

You agree to pay the car company a payment per month - they don't care it's in a wreck. You agree to pay your insurance company to help you with the process. That simple. You can drive as carefully as you want, but in a situation like this, you're screwed.

16. GreenFrog

Damn brah, that sucks. I don't even know if it'd be worth it to take her to court for that amount. It sounds like more hassle than it's worth.

17. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

It isn't CPO - private seller. Quite honestly, I don't want to spend that much money if I don't have to. I'm not a SF baller.

One dealer did have a 2010 550i GT with 55k on it for $25k - when I saw it, I thought of GF.

The insurance company is paying for a rental though, right?

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

That car is fugly though.

2 people like this.
  19. ramuman

Just using Uber/my other car. My insurance offered - I don't have a rental policy, but they said they could add it on the spot for a trivial amount, but I barely put 5k miles a year total driving anyways.

Also, my condo comes with one spot, and I rent the other. I just canceled the rented one. I'll be out of this god forsaken city by the end of July anyway, wasn't worth it.

20. GreenFrog

Y'all ever hear of beepi? Seems to be a slick platform for buying cars. Based out of SF -- no surprise there.

In any case, looks like some brah got a killer deal on an '11 M3.. so jealous.

https://www.beepi.com/Buy/bmw/m3/2011/WBSKG9C50BE369021

Also, @HRoi, correct me if I'm wrong, but my research on the e9x M3s indicates that it's a very reliable platform. Save for the rare rod bearing issue and AC condenser, everyone on the forums say that their cars have been very reliable -- even those with 08s.

Dis true brah?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.