1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

I forget this is one of the last bastions of Big Tymers on the fora, so pardon the plebe contribution.

Just took delivery of a XC70 AWD. Nice balance between my last car (Tahoe) and the car before that (S60). Needed more car-like MPG and handling while still (somewhat) keeping the space. Plus, I am a mid-20s dude stuck in a mid-50s dude's body -- really filled my need to drive like a dad.

2 people like this.
  2. segrantz

segrantz Active Member

I just put a roof rack on me 2011 e92 M3. I considered this a smarter option than shoving my bike in the trunk with the seats down and getting the inside all scratched and dirty

1 person likes this.
  3. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the rack on the M Coupe.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

Anything is possible is right. Guy a couple of blocks from me has a roof-rack on his Aventador:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Err, had. I think it looks like this now:

[​IMG]

GreenFrog: How did you like the Carrera? Was it a 997 or 991?

5. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Well-Known Member

Drove this for 12 years:

[​IMG]

Then got this last year (my "family" vehicle):

[​IMG]

Because I thought it was a more practical choice than my dream truck:

[​IMG]

6. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

I love the recent comments. I've always hated people that say 'you won't get why a minivan is practical' or 'I can see better out of my SUV'.

It's moronic logic to justify something in that manner. You can make a GTI fit all your needs or any number of cars. There's no need for the practicality argument and putting down other people.

7. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

Does suiting up noticeably change a dealer's attitude towards you, like willingness to let you test drive?

8. otc

otc Well-Known Member

If I were to get a new motorcycle (increasing in size and power over my current ride), I would seriously consider a bike rack for it:

[​IMG]

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

I saw a motorcycle with a bike rack on the road a little while back. I thought the guy was nuts

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

I had a weird dream the other night that I parked my car in a parking garage and came back to find it flipped over on its side and basically totaled.

Does this mean a new car in the near future for me?

11. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

My GTI fits my lifestyle and has hauled a ton of crap (literally manure) and other stuff from the store to my house. People tell me to get a truck but I can rent one for $19.99 plus mileage/gas whenever I need something larger.

I get annoyed when people try to tell me what I need in a car or judge my other larger purchases when they drive a car 2x what mine cost.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Why does everyone worry so much what other folks are driving? Just drive what suits you best and you can afford.

1 person likes this.
  14. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Lol, more like this:

[​IMG]

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

991. I loved it. I had test-driven a Cayman S a year or so back and was shocked at how quick, nimble, and light it felt (compared to the E60 M5), despite the lower HP / TQ numbers.

The 911 felt like an extension of that, just "meatier," if that makes sense. Styling-wise, I prefer the 911, but performance-wise, I think I'd actually prefer the Cayman S.

Definitely changes their attitude in that I think they take you more seriously, but I don't think it makes them more likely to let you test drive. Maybe at Porsche and higher-end places it might make a difference, but I don't think it would at BMW / MB / Audi.

That said, the moment I stepped into the show rooms, I had someone come up and ask if I was being helped. In the past, walking in with just jeans and a t-shirt, I'd be left alone to just wander around until someone would finally ask if I was being helped. I had no problems getting test drives. I simply told them what I was looking for up front and I think because I knew exactly what I wanted, they knew I meant business (as in, dat bidness to test drive some fun cars :lol: ).

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Gents, specifically HRoi and ramuman, thoughts on this e46, the miles / condition, and the modifications it has? I know the cosmetic mods will have some shaking their heads, but I'm more concerned about the 'performance' and maintenance mods this guy has. And the high mileage.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1076472

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  17. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

have you thought about Carmax + their 5 year warranty (I think it's like $3K extra. I don't know if their cars are ok deals or not, but that warranty can come handy.

18. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I can't lie, I looked at those pics and said "that is a gorgeous fucking car". And I don't even like interlagos.

My main concern is the mileage - I think I've mentioned the escalating cost of maintenance and repair as my former e46 increased in mileage. He also appeared to perform a lot of maintenance at 122k, but it's unclear whether it's been well cared for or has records before that.

Agree with this, which is why I bought the Cayman over the base 911. But now having owned it for a year, it really needs more power. It is literally my perfect car if it did (and yes I realize that this car is the GT4)

19. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

I have an 06 interlagos e46 m3 comp pkg car. Mine has 72.5k miles. I picked it up over a year ago with 65k on it and I paid 23k. It had a wonky OEM nav / head unit. That was the only thing "wrong" with it.

It is an SMG, which I realize you (and many others) don't want. I actually was only looking at SMGs.

05/06 comp pkg cars are not that common, and interlagos is even rarer. So tracking them down can be quite difficult.

Personally, I think this price is sky high given the miles.

There was one for sale around Chicago over a year ago (manual trans) with like 40k miles for like 28 or so.

Also, which of those mods are actually good / something you would really pay up for on your own? Coilovers maybe. The mods aren't like the absolute top of the line stuff.

It's a nice car. It will not sell at that price.

I saw an 05 comp pkg go for 15k last year with that kind of mileage in a desirable color combo (silver over red leather).

Keep shopping.

20. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

Also, can't you scoop a 997 for like ~30k with high miles? I like my M3, but would definitely pay 7k extra for a 997.