1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

X5 has a 3rd row available. It's useless, but it's available.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

There is more but those three things are major metrics in "handling." What I cannot understand is how people can just ignore data that bumps up against what they want to be the case. Of course I do not autocross my GL. 99.999999% of all vehicles ever built are not driven in autocross. I would hazard a guess that 98% of M3s and the like never get put onto an autocross course. Given the plethora of modified pictures I see, modifications that will erode handling, I'm sure I am correct. I might make a comment about how surprised I am someone would be such a vehicle and then pay money to degrade it.

Autocross is a stupid metric to declare certain SUVs do not handle well, when in fact, they equal or outperform the vast majority of cars designed to be sporty. That certain, high end, single purpose vehicles can outperform SUVs is not to be wondered at. What's to be admired is that some SUVs are no slouches.

Yup, both the Cayenne and X5 have models that are the ultimate. To my knowledge the M version of the X5 reigns supreme. As far as my vehicle of choice the body roll is like that of a tight sport sedan. It's one of the things I will truly miss if I leave the GL line and it was driven home lately by driving that Explorer Sport and the big Infiniti; they both wallow in corners compared to GLs. My problem with both the Porsche and BMW is that they are smaller than I want and are also both very fugly.

3. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

I must have missed it, but why not look into Range Rover?

4. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

This would be a good deal, Piob, and a much better vehicle, too. Good luck in making the deal.

1 person likes this.
  5. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

LOL yes you did, a couple of times.

1 person likes this.
  6. 1969

1969 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Finally put a chip in this thing. Still like going down the river in a canoe but no longer my daily.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    3 people like this.
  7. Desi

Desi Well-Known Member

I need to get a new e34 to drive around. Mine ran into some "complications".

1 person likes this.
  8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

My buddy just picked up a super clean avus e34, drives like new and more solid than e39s.

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Piob - you just need to step up to a GL63 (unless they make a GL65 V12)...

10. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

this. anything else is just dicking around.

1 person likes this.
  11. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Brabus gl63 with the illuminated B in the grill.

12. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

Jaguar's answer to the 3-series - the XE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first is the new 2.0-litre turbocharged diesel that’ll be made in Wolverhampton and is a member of the new Ingenium family of four-cylinder engines. It produces 161bhp and 258lb ft of torque.

The second motor sounds very exciting. It’s the same supercharged 3.0-litre V6 that’s used in the F-Type sports car, which means 335bhp and 332lb ft of torque and a 0-60mph time of 4.9sec.

There’ll be a choice of a six-speed manual gearbox and eight-speed automatic gearbox.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. hookem12387

hookem12387 Well-Known Member

The Jag looks great from the front, but some of the side angle pictures I've seen look a bit boring. In either case, it definitely looks like a promising 3 series competitor, if the price is right.

14. Piobaire

Those cost too much and would impact my budget for other important things such as wine and entertainment. Looking at over 2k a month for one of those and I imagine insurance, gas, and wear items (tires and brakes) would add up too.

I'm just going to forget about this for a couple months until that built to order vehicle comes in. If the dealership cuts me some impossible deal on that I'll take it, or a 550 for the price of a 450, otherwise think I'm going to sit on my hands and save a crap ton of money and drive an Explorer Sport for three years. Those things are cheap, as in, could get three of them for the price of a 550.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  15. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

nobody gets an AMG GL because it makes any sense

16. Piobaire

If I was talking straight "sense" I'd already have that Explorer parked in my driveway.

17. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

...or any AMG for that matter. Test drove an Escalade today. Drove fine but the ride quality was lacking.

1 person likes this.
  18. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

And you looked like an asshole.

2 people like this.
  19. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Seriously though- unless you can get a screaming deal on the MB, take the Ford and drink first growths for a few years.

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

nvm

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014