1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

the base model is a great, well balanced car, but way too little power for me. Actually even the S felt underpowered hehe

2. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

There's something to be said for underpowered cars. You can drive the stink out of them and feel like you're really getting after it without getting a felony. Especially in urban driving. My wife had more fun canyon carving in her old saturn than she did in an e90.

Plus some drivers have trouble keeping their car on the road, so having less available power could be a life extender.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Drove a 2010 Mini Clubman, 2011 Mazda3, and a 2011 VW Jetta. Jetta is out, it was bulky, handled poorly and had worse acceleration than my wife's Honda Fit. Clubman was the best drive by far out of the three and is the best deal $ to miles/options, but the Mazda3 has lower maintenance and far more trunk space. I felt like a bit of a knob driving the Mazda, but I'm not sure it's really "about me" anymore. I guess it's a question of driving the sedan or the hatchback.

Verdict: I'd jump on the Clubman in a second. The suicide door made access to the back seat a breeze and it was terribly fun to drive. I worry about longevity of it, though. Hard to fit two kids plus their stuff in there. I suppose I could just use it as the commuter. Wife's given me the choice. She likes the Mini but also knows it's not the most sensible option.

What say you, car people?

4. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Agree with this - a Miata is an absolute blast to drive all the time, a 911 is fun to drive reasonably fast.

1 person likes this.
  5. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

Any fiesta st owners here?

6. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

My mom has the mini clubman. Great car for the money. That's where I would go. Definitely get the S, and even the JCW if you could swing it

7. KenRose

KenRose Well-Known Member

I daily drove a 2006 Cayman S for 7 and 1/2 years. My buddy has a base boxster. If the base cayman came out first I would have bought it. I did notice the power difference between mine and my friends car but nothing that I felt is necessary. You buy both cars for the handling, not the power. If I had the base car i'd just red line it more.

8. CBrown85

I drove a base and it seemed fine.

9. habitant

habitant Well-Known Member

What about a volvo v50?

10. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

I actually get ~25+ MPG in my 993 on the hwy as well. Not bad.

11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

My opinion isn't worth more than anyone else's, but it is that power is as much a part of the overall handling package as grip, roll, steering, weight transfer and balance are. And it's a huge part of the enjoyment of any car.

With that said, it's not the only thing, which is why I'm not driving around in a GT500 or ZR1.

But if you just want a car with 'pep' or have more compelling reasons other than power (like price), then no need to spring for S versions - Porsche or Mini.

12. CBrown85

If I could find an s with the milage, option and within a 1000 dollars to the one I'm looking at I'd jump. I'm still deciding between that and te Mazda3. If I go Mazda I'll probably hold out and look for one with the larger engine in a stick.

13. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

Some ear candy. Some Ferrari in there for ya @SpooPoker

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

So, as part of my hit-n-run accident, I got a new rear tire that frankly, I don't really need. The body shop just recommended they replace my rear tire to play it safe and they got me a brand new one.

I'm thinking of selling it to recoup my deductible loss, but am at a loss of where to sell it. Are the forums my best bet?

Also, anyone know how much it costs to wrap a car? Obviously it depends on the material and shop you go to, but am curious if it's like a $500 - $800 type of job or a $2000 one.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  15. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

I'd say CL for the tire.

For the wrap, $2,000 +++. And then some, to get it done properly.

You're a glutton for punishment, eh?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

Agree that going fast in a slow car with superb handling is really something. I am close (Knock on wood) on closing a deal on an event-eligible car and my choice from the get go was something crazy Italian from a particular marque. I have two cars under evaluation: One from 1950 with 30hp and one from 1954 with 48hp. Looks like the second one will be it. I will know more in two weeks … On the California Mille, I will be the one who starts first and arrives last. What fun!

On the S on Cayman/ Boxter or Mini: No need for it if you look for a car that makes you look good and you drive mostly in city traffic. Definitely yes, if you are a driver that enjoys putting the car on the twisties, fun drives, longer trips. Definitely no on the JWC if you intent to use it as a daily driver: You would not appreciate the very stiff set up.

Why not a Golf GTI? Clubman/ Jetta/ Mazda3 seems a pretty random thrown together group of cars.

Mike

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Going fast in a slow car with shit handling, is even better.

18. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

still a bit surprised people aren't going gaga for the Alfa 4C. 2400 lbs, unassisted steering, carbon fiber tub, fuel efficient and $55k base price (well once the $70k launch editions sell out). If I were looking for a subpremium (I should trademark this phrase and license it to Acura) mid engined sports car this would seem to top the list. The transmission doesn't appear to be that great and the quality is unproven but it has so many things going for it that I am genuinely surprised it's not getting more run.

19. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

Alfa 4C is super sexy and I am the first one to applaud Fiat for bringing Alfa back from the (almost) dead and back to the US. I have not yet personally driven the 4C, but there are two things that still hold back my enthusiasm:
    • Design, while gorgeous, is a bit derivative of Lotus
    • Early reports are a pretty mixed bag with the less than stellar suspension set up and handling pointed out as main culprit. An Alfa getting dinged for handling? Holy shit. Hence I need to drive one to see for myself

Mike

20. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I'd like to see and hopefully drive before passing judgment - in the some press photos it looks like an ugly squashed Nissan Juke. In others it looks really nice. I guess it's the automotive equivalent of Kate Upton