1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

sounds like you just described a station wagon pio? only reason to want an suv is to go off road, now since most of them these days don't have that capability no real reason to get them but if you just like the high seating position and the looks that's another story

2. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

Need suggestions on what to get the wife with child #3 on the way. Vehicle must fit 3 full size car seats (ie not boosters) and have room to spare for the obligatory double jogging stroller and other assorted nonsense. She's been driving a lexus rx hybrid for the past few years and it's worked well - comfort and reliability over performance. Looking to spend ~50k for something slightly used/certified (because the kids will destroy it anyway). Thoughts?

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I do not accept the only reason to want an SUV is to go off road. Not sure who created that false statement but I'm here to reject it. I've also had the ultimate off road SUV, an LR3 (now 4) and I'll take the GL.

I appreciate all you guys, many of which do not even own a vehicle let alone a high end one, criticizing my choice. I'll just continue to happily tool down the road.

4. jet

jet Well-Known Member

pio,

it's not the only reason to want an suv, i should have said the only reason to "need" an suv is to go off road, you may want one for the reasons i stated in the latter part of my post

you should test drive some station wagons, you might prefer them and there are many great choices to suit your needs

5. Piobaire

Jet,

Thanks for the suggestion. As we all know part of car decisions are more than plain utility. Let's face it, if it was about pure function, 99% of us would be driving econoboxes.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  6. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I really liked the Explorer, which has the added benefit of being way under your budget. But it's nothing fancy.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

This is contradictory, as the G63/65 is on top of the make no sense SUV list and they are really not set up for going off road at all, with their wide body kits and low profile tires.

If you read the post following it, its about direct diesel / petrol comparability and as before mentioned I could have posted the specs for the GL in german with L/100km & KW, but as 99% of the people in this thread don't know either of those, it wouldn't have helped.

Case in point
    [​IMG]

8. Find Finn

It really does sound like an E63/500 estate 4 matic, you could always get a defender as a plaything/offroader.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  9. Cedric

Cedric Well-Known Member

Sold for $38M
    Highest ever sold, sold for $52M

10. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

What's the source for that claim?

11. Desi

Desi Well-Known Member

think it was in a news article on yahoo. the 52mil sale was a private sale, not a auctioned event.

12. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

Speaking of MB jettisoning v8s, I think it will have a bigger impact on the E class. My friends are picking up a 2014 e550 because it won't be around next year and they want the v8 but not the 63.

The ML550 is also changing to the ML400 with no v8 alternative as well other than the 63. The ML switch is interesting because the price is going up by several thousand although they are adding additional standard equipment.

13. Piobaire

I think the E class is their #1 seller.

If I decide the V6 turbo is sufficient I will not give them anywhere near what I was willing to pay for the 2014 with the V8. I know this is the end of my ride with MB for the foreseeable future and I've accepted that. I am seriously thinking of just grabbing a 4Runner or something if I can get a stupid low lease price. Toyota has a decently optioned SR5 for $400 a month with no out of pocket cap reduction. Might just go for something like that as I think MB is going to find if you power the GL450 like a Q7 people are going to move to the cheaper option.

14. Piobaire

Knowing that I'm going to have to change dealerships, and remembering what a shark tank the Toyota dealership was many years ago, I put together a lease worksheet to print and use. I plan to let the salesman show me the vehicle (get his time invested in me), go tell him to get me a lease price (which I know will be at full list MSRP for cap cost), then hand him this worksheet and tell his boss to fill in all the blanks for me. I thought I'd post the content here in case anyone wants to use the sheet.

That's obviously before monthly taxes but just take the lease payment and multiple it by 1.X where X is the sales tax.

2 people like this.
  15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

16. Find Finn

Is there a place to see what the cars at Monterey went for?

17. Find Finn

They are downsizing the whole motor line up, the new C AMG will be a 4.0 V8 TT, instead of the old 6.2 N/A.

The 400 4matic doesn't sound stupid though, V6 TT 329hp

18. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

Yes they are downsizing almost every class but there are some curious choices in the US. In other markets the ml350 is being replaced by the ml400 but here they will be sold side by side with the ml400 priced $12k or so higher for 25 hp and 80 lb ft along with additional standard equipment. Not sure that makes a ton of sense and unlike in the GL450 where the HP stays the same, the ML400 is a lot less powerful then the ML550 at basically the same price point depending on how you value the additional equipment.

19. Piobaire

Don't be fooled by the sales pitch of the horsepower and torque stays the same. There's a reason MB's own numbers went from 5.8 to 6.6 and there's a reason the Escalade has more HP and torque than the 2014 GL450 but the GL 450 kicked it's ass on the road. Not all power is useable in the same way. My guy at MB spent 20 minutes repeating to me the HP and torque is the same and I won't notice the difference. Bullshit. The torque is available down low with the larger V8 and that's real world power.

20. Find Finn

They will be twin turbo, not bi-turbo, so it will be a small and a large turbo and not two identical ones, the smaller one handles the low end and the big one handles the top end, so the hp and torque curves, should be very close.

VW has a 1.4 with turbo and supercharge, to get the extra low end, the larger engines used to have.