1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

The q7 looks like a turned over tub anyway and is due for an update, the new x5 isn't much better.

How about a cayenne?

2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Diesel engines are great to drive...torque grunt is much more entertaining than HP in normal driving conditions.
    Where do you have trouble finding diesel? Are you just not looking hard enough? There is a ton of diesel on the road in both urban and rural areas...even the cramped-for-space urban gas stations by me sell diesel.

What does piob even need a giant truck with performance for anyways? It's not like he has to get the kids to soccer practice or haul any lumber...why not just get something smaller with performance that will blow it away?

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly. He should get a CLS63 AMG and call it a day.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I don't understand the choices people make in this thread.

1 person likes this.
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Cayenne is too small. If I'm willing to go that small there's a host of different vehicles but I want full size.

If you raise the concept of "need" in this thread you should not be posting here. This thread is as far from "need" based vehicles as you can get.

I desire a full size SUV with above average acceleration, above average handling for a vehicle in this class, luxury, and a decent service experience.

6. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

You don't want an Escalade, then. Torquey engines and decent power figures, but real world acceleration is disappointing and handling, steering and body roll are literally sickening. I've driven a lot of them because Hertz has a lot of them and likes to throw them at me in upgrade deals.

7. Piobaire

Ugh. One of the things I love about my GL is the fancy suspension that virtually eliminates body roll, which as you know, is the bane of large vehicles.

I'm having no little bit of existential angst over this. The 550 is just too egregiously expensive for me to mentally justify even though it comes standard with everything including AMG rims.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Says the guy who wants a g63 and has 83lbs diningchairs.

2 people like this.
  9. mafoofan

Yeah, no compromises. A SUV should be a motherfucking SUV. It should be able to climb rocks and maybe take a rocket blast or two. A concrete dining chair should be a . . . well, you know.

The obsession with fast accelerating luxury SUVs makes little to no sense. It's just what people want when they don't know what they want, except that they want more and they need everybody else to know they have it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Piobaire

If this is designed to apply to me or the GL you could not have constructed a more incorrect post. I know exactly what I want, I don't want more (the 550 or AMG, a Porsche, nor a Rover) and the GL 450 is highly understated.

11. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

This thread is no longer about "cars we drive" because that can only last so long. Most of the talk now is how posters would choose to option out a car they would never buy. Some of the talk is genuinely seeking advice or wanting to discuss cars that people might actually buy and of course a small minority of the thread is actually posting pictures and describing cars that people have in fact acquired. I think if there's one take away from the thread it's that people have almost as much fun (maybe more for some people?) thinking about what cars they might buy than actually buying and driving cars.

I am probably a good example of the mindset. I love cars as mechanical objects and like hammering my car when the opportunity arises, but the reality is that it rarely arises and I spend most of my driving time wishing I were doing something else. Most of my driving time is commuting or going somewhere for recreational activities.

I know Bawlin will never buy a car (no offense dude) but I don't mind hearing what color he'd choose for the 2015 M4 that he'll never buy or any of the other 30 cars he talks about getting. Similarly, I find it entertaining to read a rain man esque discussion of the center caps for obscure aftermarket rims (and yes I added obscure just to increase the blood pressure for the guys who collect old BBS catalogs and spend their free time deciding what type of rims they'd put on their 993 turbo that they'll never own.

It's probably a good thing that we don't all understand or agree with other people's car buying decisions because otherwise there would be precious little of entertaining value in car discussions.

12. mafoofan

I wasn't addressing you directly, no. But the GL450 falls under my criticism.

It has neither the comfort nor on-road drivability of a sedan, nor the off-road capabilities of a focused SUV, nor the utility of a wagon or minivan.

What do you actually want or need out of a car? Summing that all up, luxury SUVs are virtually never the answer.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    2 people like this.
  13. Piobaire

UnF, you've had a rash of highly sensible posts lately.

14. Piobaire

How can you say it lacks the utility of a wagon? Have you driven in a GL450? It matches or surpasses the comfort of the vast majority of sedans on the road, out drives the vast majority of sedans, and has the room you just cannot get in a sedan. It also sits higher on the road, has AWD, and is quite capable in adverse weather conditions. As I also said it's understated and not "bling" in the least so completely nullifies the charge you made of letting others know.

For me it's a perfect mixture of just enough of many more single purpose vehicles.

15. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

my posts have always been sensible to me

:cheers:

1 person likes this.
  16. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out WTF two shitty underpowered examples of the E Class, neither of which is sold in North America, has to do piob bitching about the GL engines for 2015.

17. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

Yeah now we're talkin! lol

18. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Agreed. :)

19. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yeah still don't get it.

Maybe it out drives most sedans on the road... But so does pretty much every car anywhere near that price range. Something that isn't a bloated 7 seater can offer you so much more.

If you are going to buy a gasoline powered penis enlarger, you might as well get one where it is a tossup between "that guy just wanted an awesome car" and "that guy is compensating"

1 person likes this.
  20. Piobaire

You guys are misreading things by a long shot and I'm not really going to clarify why. I'll just say having a car that can haul us in great comfort, plus luggage, plus a dozen cases of wine, and still scream down the interstate is what I want. It might not be for everyone but I want a lux vehicle that can do it all and that's what the GL has been for me.