1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

288 would be my weapon of choice out of all the modern era Ferrari supercars. Stretching the wheelbase while shortening the overall length so dramatically improved the 308-derived looks of the car (Though I think it was a completely different chassis - tubular, I seem to remember). Don't care much for F40/F50/Enzo in the looks department.

Those four cars though are the treasures of Fiat-era Ferrari and prices have also gone up dramatically. The bargain classic still is the 308 - Bertone GT4 or Pininfarina GTS/ GTB. I would likely pick the Bertone for it's wedge-y craziness.

2. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

Thats not fair....I'd take anything DB4 (I am assuming thats a DB4GT?) If I had to have one Aston it would have to be the One-77, doesn't get anymore Aston Martin in my opinion. Had the pleasure of seeing one in the metal. I would not admit this in person but the V12 Vantage was a scary ride so much power for no reason other than scaring unaware pedestrians haha

3. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

I so need to beat this.

love that show

4. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

Yes, a DB4GT with clothes by Zagato. They built 19 of them and all are still accounted for. Originally conceived as the car to beat the almighty Ferrari 250 SWB but this, in fact did not turn out so well. Ferrari was on top of it's game and the 250 remained lighter and better handling than the Aston. Didn't help that both Aston/ Zagato works entries at Le Mans in 61 retired and Ferrari constantly improved on the 250.

Ercole Spada, in my opinion one of the greatest car designers, had just joined Zagato in early 60 and the Aston was his first full car commission ever. Quite something for a young 23 year old! Little trivia for the BMW fan boys: Spada became head designer at BMW in the mid-70's where he developed a few of the 5 and 7-series.

Mike

5. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

During the financial crisis there were nice examples of Dino's going for like 80-120. I seriously considered getting one but ultimately didn't pull the trigger. S&P would have been a good buy too, though, I suppose.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Got an offer of $32K for my car (private party).

Feels bad, man.

2 people like this.
  7. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

What were you expecting?

8. GreenFrog

Hoping to get $36 - 35, if the buyer values the mods I have.

Expecting to get $33.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

What mods does it have, again?

10. size 38R

Sorry GF. usually mods reduce the value of a car. mostly if they alter the appearance. hopefully you get closer to your asking price.

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Yeah, I definitely agree - mods are a value detractor since nobody knows how well they were done and they expect the car to have been abused. I've had friends list the same care mentioning and not mentioning mods and without mods always got around market and with mods got less.

12. jet

jet Well-Known Member

the problem is not the mods but the fact they are garbage mods

13. size 38R

I like "invisimods" - Upgrades that only increase reliability and/or performance. Hardcore parts blended in with a factory look. those with a good "Eye" will see the value instantly. others will just see a very clean looking car.

unless you are experimenting with a project car just for kicks.

14. GreenFrog

Not much.

The major ones are the Eibach lowering springs and Dinan exhaust. Rest are cosmetic, like the matte black grill, which I don't expect to add any value, whatsoever, obviously.

15. GreenFrog

I definitely agree with this sentiment, to an extent. I've seen cars that have been heavily, and I mean, HEAVILY, modified. Mostly performance-enhancing, like superchargers, pulley kits, meth injection kits, etc. Those, I feel, scream, "I tracked and abused the shit out of my car."

I only have a lowering kit and exhaust, which the PO installed.

16. size 38R

@GreenFrog Would it be cost effective to replace the grill? spend a little to make it look factory fresh? it might pay off.

17. GreenFrog

I have the stock grill, so I can just pop it back in. Also have the stock springs, so I'll be giving those to any seller, too, obviously. The only stock component I don't have anymore is the exhaust.

18. size 38R

Yeah man, make it look as stock as possible. keep the Eibachs, they are a plus. (but you know that) good luck with the sale. [​IMG]

i am having all kinds of stress with my car right now. [​IMG]

19. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Ah, well you can't return it to stock and part out then. It will cost you more in labor to swap out the springs and obviously you can't remove the exhaust. I was thinking that maybe you could

20. themexconnect

themexconnect Member

Yes, I always found mods are more for personal taste and enjoyment when you own the car yourself never really seemed to do much on the resale part I always personally took a loss in both street and offroading vehicles with aftermarket mods unless they were strictly cosmetic things...