1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I was in the Philippines last month and was chatting with my colleagues there about car prices. They have a 200% tax rate on vehicles unless the manufacturer can locate a certain % of the manufacturing process onshore.

We were chatting about the M5, for example and they said I'd pay a quarter of a million USD to get one there. That's pretty rough.

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

That's why I feel like the ballers in Europe are ballin on a whole nother level than American ballers.

3. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

I had no idea the Phillipines was in Europe. Do they have company cars there as well?

If you equate car ownership with "ballin" then you still need to discount your view of these Euro ballers with the fact that many (most?) of the upscale cars are company cars which circumvent some of these crazy taxes.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  4. GreenFrog

I was referring to FF.

It's the same situation.

5. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

what does "it's the same situation" refer to? Just looking at the situation in Germany, according to the linked article below 85% of all high-end cars are company cars.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-10/in-germany-the-company-car-is-a-porsche

If we're talking about income taxes being higher in Europe - the answer is it really depends on where you are. I think FF has the good fortune of living in the highest tax jurisdiction in Europe, but most places in Europe the income tax burden is lower for wealthy wage earners than say California where the highest marginal rate is 51.9% and capital gains is 36.2%. Sales tax is on a county by county basis and in the places I hang out is 8.75-9%.

6. GreenFrog

Higher taxes.

Owning a car is significantly more expensive in Europe, as a generalization. Gas costs a shit ton more.

The monetary barriers to personally owning a high-end car in Europe are significantly higher than in America.

It's simple. I don't see how you can argue against this. If you want to pick apart at it because it's a gross generalization, go ahead. I don't care, lol.

Even in fucking Canada, luxury cars cost significantly more.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

A M5 is $500k with some options and a base A4 is around $90k here.

Tesla's are exempt from all taxes, so especially in Norway they are a bargain, as you don't pay congestion charge, bridge tolls, parking etc. etc., it's estimated that the norwegian government looses 1.3 billion $ a year just on people buying Tesla instead of Audi's etc.

It's only the Scandinavian countries, where the taxes are fucked and the car tax is only in Norway and Denmark (where I live), I have a feeling that our insurance premium are a lot higher as well. (I'm not going to start on property prices, as mot of you would fall of your chairs).

Petrol is $8 a gallon in all of Europe though and a little more for diesel and premium.

Jeremy Clarkson once said that danish cars are the worlds coolest, due to the price.

8. KenRose

KenRose Well-Known Member

you can't go wrong with the 981. I actually prefer my F Type, but I was with the Cayman S for 8 years so a change is good. On the Porsche, the Cayman will be more practical than the Boxster but they both will handle and drive the same. My friend has a base boxster that he bought at the same time as my CS and they are remarkably similar. Forget all you read about rigidness and stiffness. Same with torque, neither have a ton of torque so you will feel the extra power of the S but on the 987 always it's not night and day. I have not driven the base 981 though.

If I was to buy the porsche, I probably would have gone with a boxster just for a change, but I love the look of the new Cayman. To me it looks very aggressive and is one of the better looking current P cars.

9. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

This explains why the Tesla has been selling so well there--I believe I read somewhere that Tesla outsold all Fords combined last year, and sold double the next most popular car, some VW.

10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Aaaand....it's done!

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  11. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Nice! I'm pretty jealous. I was all up for a new ride this weekend. :(

Enjoy the hell out of that. It looks awesome.

12. GreenFrog

Ho lee fuk so jelly congrats!

edit: you guys got the best rims for the cayman s, too, imo. That's the exact combo I'd get, except in sapphire blue.

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

It was in march and it was aprox. 1500 cars, which is 10% of all new car sales that month.

14. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, we're excited. Only 1180 miles to go before break in period ends!! :laugh:

Took wife out to dinner to celebrate her acquisition and parked behind this:

[​IMG]

15. GreenFrog

Did you guys get the performance exhaust?

16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

No, but I kind of wanted it. Also the sports suspension, but we couldn't find a car that had both plus PDK and sports chrono. So we either had to order, or get what I consider a good deal ok a car on the lot and instant gratification.

There are better aftermarket options anyway, particularly on the PSE that claims zero performance gains

17. KenRose

KenRose Well-Known Member

great color and rims. Aggressive car.

18. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Well-Known Member

wow ... I'd take the first left!!!

19. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Car looks great. Enjoy!

20. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Nice. I looked at the Cayman S as well but it brought the car over $80k before taxes with decent options and that didn't seem right. Also, I don't think I was able to move my seat as far back as I needed. Definitely a small car. Did you say that you didn't get the chrono package? The sport plus from chrono makes the car wild.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014