1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

I agree that the second shop recommends involving insurance to collect a portion of the bill. They are a serious/upscale business that attracts many supercar owners, and from their pitch, I got the impression that they would hit the insurance company hard and collect a good profit while also satisfying the customer by doing a meticulous job (also they include stuff like cleaning & waxing the entire car, lol).

My impression is that the aluminum panel is not warped - rather, the scratch is so deep that the paint around it is very slightly mangled, if that makes sense. Its hardly noticeable and I think it would go away during the sanding. However, in the small chance that there actually is warping, I'd want to get it fixed right.

Having the work done by option 2 gives me more peace of mind, but I'm not sure if I'd want to involve insurance, in case my premium goes up or my resale value ultimately gets affected. My wife is adamant that we don't pay $1200+ out of pocket. In any case, I think I need to get a few more estimates to get a better idea on a repair process that would sufficiently produce the results I want without going overboard.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Hold up.

You still haven't told us what happened right?

NO MORE ADVICE UNTIL WE HAVE DETAILS!

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

^^

i'm with this guy

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Well-Known Member

Depending on how they tape the paint line, it seems to me that is the big factor in getting an even and unnoticeable line. Since they will probably paint the next door portion below the crease, I would think a whole door paint job would be the best solution. The after effect of this is that the front door is nice and new and the paint swirls from regular washes on other panels will stand out. On a previous car I had a factory lip kit installed after about 20K miles and I needed a good detail job to make everything look good.

As for the estimated costs, that always varies by location but I would look for someone who works on higher end cars regularly.

5. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

If you plan to trade the car in eventually I'd go the insurance route...as a dealership will almost certainly notice the repair regardless of it being on a carfax.

If you plan to sell it on your own...I'd pay out of pocket to keep the damage off a carfax. A buyer probably won't be able to pick up on the repair.

6. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I agree. Hope after all the hassle, it at least is a good story ...[​IMG] Please do tell now.

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it is probably something boring like "Let girlfriend borrow car"

8. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

Your Range Rover is never gonna be the same. Sorry bro.

9. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Or exciting like swerving during drive by shoot out

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Judging from his original, guilt-laden poast, I'm going to go ahead and say it was his fault and that he side-swiped a stationary object (car, pillar, etc.). My hunch is that he hit a gate or pillar type object in an indoor parking lot.

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Maybe he scraped it entering his garage. That can happen, you know. Cost about $1200 to repair and was a bit embarrassing to explain. I bet it was something like that.

12. otc

otc Well-Known Member

My ex has matching scrape zones on both rear quarter panels of her car (hit the same thing going both ways). I've also been in the car when she has backed it into a pillar...

makes me lol that I can identify it whenever I see it somewhere (since it is otherwise the most common color of a pretty common car).

13. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Not worth insurance even though cost may be high if you have a range rover you should be able to afford $1200. Don't think insurance premium increase is worth it and car fax issues too

Went to higher end body shop that worked on my e31 for some quotes on some work on my e60 that would be out of pocket, guy remembered me and gave me both insurance quote and out of pocket quote. Main difference was aluminum work would be billed normal rate out of pocket but would be billed aluminum rate to insurance. One bill was $900 other was $1900 so pretty big difference. Just wish damn idiots in hollywood could park as all damage happened when car was parked and whoever hit was long gone :censored:

14. stevent

And speaking of e31s last few I went to go see had owners out of their minds, who asks for $15-18k on cars with ~100k+ miles and shoddy ass maintenance and pretty visible leaks all over

Also some guy on craigslist a while back had a green 850 that looked nice and said miles were 81k, checked carfax and it was 181k and he was asking $20k :lol:

15. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Sneaky fuck will probably claim typo when you call him on it

16. stevent

Haha the weird part is everyone has been super shady so far, maybe it's just LA but I've sort of given up looking for one here unless I can find one under $7k again and under 100k miles

Another claimed full service records from my mechanic and then he said he forgot them when I went to see car and asked for it. Asked mechanic later and they said they had never seen this guy / car ever

17. dan138zig

dan138zig Well-Known Member

what do you guys think of acquiring a 1997 E36 BMW? I love the aesthetics, especially the grey one, but you know, it's a 17 year old car.

18. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

It's a f*cking Range Rover. They are like cockroaches and always stay the same ... unfortunately (No offense to RR owners ...)

19. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

^ lol I'm not quite sure what you meant, but it sounds kind of funny. The new 2014 models have quite a bit of changes... the new sport looks more like the evoque than the big daddy rover.

20. mbaum

mbaum Well-Known Member

Don't worry. I just played up the car snob in me. You will be fine after you get it fixed and the car will just be the same. I dealt with worse on rare cars. there is nothing in that category that can't be fixed and yours is an easy one.[​IMG]

Mike