1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

I haven't been pulled over in a long time (knock on wood), maybe because I was running a laser jammer and radar detector for awhile before they became illegal in Texas. However, I was thinking what the best way to get out of a ticket is. I'm thinking about possibly stuttering really badly when talking to the cop and maybe he'll feel bad or something. Thoughts? Is that really bad? :embar:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

I had to drive a visitor back to airport the other day and we were way late, just gambling on his plane ticket at that point - super smooth empty highway and the speed limit was 100kph - I did 200 most of the way. I think that's about a buck twenty five in mph but for the few cars I'd pass it seemed like they were just sitting still in the right lane. haha. Over here they have actual signs warning you of when the speed the traps are coming up, by distance, giving you plenty of time and distance to slow down. wtf? lol

3. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Those warnings are usually not there because they don't want you to get a ticket but because they want you to slow down since the sections following the sign are "high-risk" sections. Therefore, because everyone knows there will be traffic cameras, everyone will slow down, and the number of accidents goes down.
    In Germany, there are cameras that don't get announced by road signs too (temporary cameras, for example--the real cash cows--, but stationary ones too). I'm sure that's the case in Korea (that's where you're staying at the moment, right?) too.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

Speeding tickets - and what can happen once they are issued, varies by jurisdiction. Typically, once a ticket is issued, an officer can't rescind it without a major headache. I'd pretty much consider that option gone. I say that based on family members and friends who are/were cops/troopers.

In CT, if you contest a ticket you get a court date. If you know someone in the state attorney's office, you can get them to drop the charge and the ticket is gone with nothing on your record. If you aren't lucky enough to be able to go down that route, you show up to court at your assigned date/time and you speak to the prosecutor first. If you have a clean/relatively clean record, you can likely make a deal - i.e. donate $X to a charity, come back and show me the receipt and we'll drop the charges. IME, there was like a united way desk on site and everything was done in a few minutes. (Don't forget to save your receipt if you itemize). One other time they ran it a bit differently, and a magistrate had to approve the deal - they didn't allow the prosecutor to cut me as much slack and I had to pay a bit more.

In NY, there are lots of small municipal courts. You show up and before your case is called before a magistrate you speak with the officer who issued the ticket. The one time I had to do that he was impressed that I actually showed (and drove a bit of a distance to do so) and we agreed to a reduced charge (inexpensive parking violation).

I've never done a name drop, but I used to have police stuff in my car - e.g., nearby city uniform arm band or hat. If pulled over it would inevitably lead to "So who's the cop?" and saved my ass a number of times.

Now that I've moved out of state (and am a bit older and wiser) I'm past that stage. The Valentine 1 helps too.

1 person likes this.
  5. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

M2 rumoured: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936905

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/2-series/85308/bmw-m2-coupe-likely

Rumoured as a 4cyl vs the 6 in the m235i

Speculative renderings:
    [​IMG]

6. horndog

horndog Well-Known Member

The new BMW front ends look so fucking bad.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I think it looks great.

Can't stop thinking about that Cayman S with PDK. Hotdamn.

8. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

I loved the Cayman until I sat in one. I'm not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination but fuck is it ever cramped in the cabin. 991 on the other hand was perfect.

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Really? Hmm, I couldn't find much difference in how the interior felt between the cayman s and 911. Even the performance was very similar.

I'm 6'1" and have a slim build but leg room was ample and my head was not brushing against the top of the car.

But hot damn it felt so amazingly light and nimble. The way it turns into corners... Just perfect. My car feels like a boat in comparison.

PDK? Perfect.

Steering was pretty good, despite being electric. I really wish I could try the new gt3. I spec'd one out for fun online and was surprised to see it was only around 130k with the options I wanted. I was expecting the base for the gt3 to be 180ish.

I would love to DD a cayman s.

Porsche options are ridiculous, but we all knew that.

10. Gravitas

Gravitas Well-Known Member

Other blogs (LeftLaneNews) are saying it might use a twin-turbo version of the 3l I6, with styling informed by the M235i Racing. Of course, it is all speculation at this point.

I think the idea of a TT version of the I4 sounds better, though. That combined with M235i Racing-inspired styling would be even more reminiscent of the E30 M3 (yes, I know it was NA).

Either way, I am excited (though I will admit, I am more curious about the 228i).

11. jet

jet Well-Known Member

there's something almost disease-like about some bmw fanbois, it's almost irrelevant how heinous they make something the fanbois still love it no matter what

1 person likes this.
  12. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

It's not the best front end but it's not that bad either. These are my idea of bad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another thing I learned about BMW, thanks to the Bangle-era, is they almost always look better in person than in photos.

13. impolyt_one

^ true, I always find the E92 hard to photograph. Looks nice in person but the subtle curvatures don't translate in pics, for example, there's a compound concave to convex figuring in the shoulder line from fender to the C pillar and it needs to catch light in order to see it (most evident right below the rearview mirror), but in a photo you'd miss out on the complex curving of the doors below the shoulder. Both of those motifs are new, from E9X and on. BMW C pillars have always had a beautiful tightness and compound curvature to them, especially at the base. Also, it may be having to do with new-age paints and the difference between water and oil base but I find the new stuff has a slightly grained texture and isn't as smooth as the old BMW stuff.

14. impolyt_one

The 1M is stupid looking in all respects, though. Even worse is when one finds me on the street and proceeds to embarrass themselves by trying to impress me with their fake M car and inevitable douchebag driving. Has happened at least 5 times in the short time I've had the M.

1 person likes this.
  15. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

Fake M? Fast-forward to 3:15... if Chris Harris says it's an M-car, it's an M-car.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

And on the topic of 1M's, the only people I've ever seen driving them are older white guys in their 50's. It blows my mind because it's not like they grew up worshipping the E30 M3 or anything like that. I can't for the life of me figure out why they pick this thing as their mid-life crisis car.

16. jet

jet Well-Known Member

still ain't a real m car dawg

17. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

But this is, right? :lol:

[​IMG]

18. jet

jet Well-Known Member

see when an m follows a number, it ain't an M

school is dismissed :lol:

19. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

I'll give you that one.

:fence:

20. KenRose

KenRose Well-Known Member

maybe because it is similar to the first M3. And those guys could have been early owners. I drive a Cayman S but had I not already owned a car I would have looked at the 1M. As for the name, I think they were preserving the original M1 name