1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

I reserved a full-sized SUV in LA as I needed room for luggage and 6 passengers... they had a RAV 4 waiting for me :foo:

2. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

If you rent a car in a certain class, it's a crapshoot. But on the reservations site you are able to "reserve this exact model". Not 100% sure about Enterprise but Avis and Hertz definitely do. Hertz in particular has a wealth of high end cars available - I've seen:

Ferrari California (allegedly they have a Gallardo too but haven't seen it)
    Porsche Panamera, 911, Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne
    All AMG except SLS and BS
    This special "track ready" Mustang that I have to research more about

3. Cary Grant

Stood next to a guy in Vegas who had reserved a specific Ferrari- all they had for him was a corvette :p

Hell hath no fury like the bling-encrusted entitled, scorned.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

when I rented with Enterprise out of Westchester airport, I was able to pick and choose my car (assuming it was considered "economy"). I went with a Fiat 500, and it was awesome.

5. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree with you there; in almost any other business if they offer you something, and you agree to pay for it, then they say "hahahahah nope, only kidding, you get something else" you'd sue them for fraud. Their shitty disclaimer that "products may be replaced by something totally fucking different" makes them invincible.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

If I had ordered a Ferrari and got a Corvette, I would have gone ape shit.

7. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Presumably he got billed for a Corvette, eventually. The quote I got for the California from Hertz was 1500 a day...the Corvette is less than 200/day

8. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

It's not the money, it's the principal that a company providing a "service" has total discretion to fuck with you, knowing that when you're standing at the rental desk with bags and a plan, you have no choice but to fork over money to them in exchange for something utterly different. It's like ordering a shirt online and being sent a tie, with a note saying "we ran out of shirts, so we sent another item of men's formalwear. As a good-will gesture we will not charge you for a shirt, but for a tie. Enjoy your tie."

9. gomestar

the problem i've noticed with these fancy car rentals is you get like 100 miles before they starting charging you for more miles. That's like 90 minutes of highway driving before the bills start to add up.

10. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Oh, I completely agree. No one who is willing to fork over four figures a day to drive a Ferrari is going to want a Corvette. Ever.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Why are you eating up miles on the highway? Back roads!

12. gomestar

it was simply an illustrative example

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

For the Ferrari / Corvette analogy to be correct the tie should have been used plastic underwear.

14. Cary Grant

I'm sure they did- if rentors have a lot of stock on hand- they'll almost always upgrade you for nuthin... if they have little on hand you'll pay the premium, no negotiating.

15. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

I mentioned this pro tip before but the secret is to reserve a lesser car and then when you show up at the destination airport, ask what kind of upgrades you can have. If you're somewhat flexible, you can rent a luxury car for a fraction of what you would have paid because they'd rather get a bit of extra revenue rather than let the cars sit there.

Of course, you can't go in there thinking you absolutely have to have a specific car, but with a little flexibility, and the understanding that you won't always get to upgrade, you'll usually be able to score something.

I do this everytime I rent with Hertz - always rent the intermediate car and this year I've gotten a CTS, Mustang GT, Corvette, Benz E350 and C300, Boxster and various Explorers and SUV's. Sometimes for $20 a day more than my reservation price. The boxster and corvette were a lot more , but not more than $100 a day over my original rate

16. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Heck, it is a struggle to even get them to agree to guarantee a certain make of car.

I worked for a guy in advertising, and had a very tough time getting someone at LAX to promise the availability of a Ford when I was arranging his travel for a Ford shoot.

17. otc

otc Well-Known Member

But I also understand that all car rentals are essentially open ended contracts.

You could bring that car back in a week or a month...and you could drop it off at any location in the country. Pretty hard to guarantee a certain car will be present at a specific location on a certain date.

18. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Well-Known Member

Sort of, but not really.

I worker for the Big E a few years ago and each Group owns its set of cars. Thus a car rented in Washington could not be returned to a branch in California. Also, the contracts are only good for 30 days, so even the longest term renters had to come back every 30 days and sign a new contract. This allowed us to keep up on maintenance and also to keep some semblance of control over the car/renter.

As for getting a specific car, well, it's almost impossible. I can't speak for Hertz, but ERAC had cars from just about ever car company that sells in the US. Thus a typical fleet of 100+ cars had a ton of Hyundai's, Chevy's, Toyota's, etc. Having a variety is good, but that means there are less of each car in the fleet mix making it really really hard to get a certain brand. The good managers could make it work, especially if we were used to catering to dealerships that required specific makes, but its not really something an airport manger has much concern about.

Also, HRoi is correct about reserving a cheap car and then upgrading to a more expensive one. The agents at the front desk are incentivized to "upsell" as much as possible. I don't know how everyone does it but when I worked at SeaTac we would get Best Buy gift cards based on our overall performance. So if you walked in with a full size car rez at $50/day and asked about a luxury car upgrade, I'd throw you a deal for an additional $25/day (or something like that, basically whatever you would agree to) even though that luxury car would normally be $100/day. At the time, we had a whole pile of Town Car's that no one ever wanted so we'd basically give them away for peanuts. But it was still worth it for the customer because they'd otherwise be getting a Corolla or Taurus or something crappy.

Also, the damage waiver isn't insurance. I've seen people total cars and walk away without paying a dime (aside from the DW charge). Can't say I'd recommend it for a long rental, because it can really add up, but if you're only renting for a day or two it's not a bad idea to throw it on there assuming its less than $20.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  19. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Shot locally... 2.5m+ in exotics, yet still can't park between the lines.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The first time I went to Denver I reserved a midsize SUV from Enterprise through Expedia and expected to get a RAV 4 or a Jeep Liberty or some crap like that. They gave me a newly redesigned (back then) Dodge Durango Limited. Employee let me know they didn't carry any small or midsize SUVs at that location (airport) so the upgrade was free so of course I kept making the same reservation. Everytime I went the same thing happened except twice they were out of Durangos and gave me Escalades.