1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. lonelyimage

lonelyimage New Member

I'm driving a hyundai getz now and i'm not sure if any one here have heard of it

2. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I know the early E46's were more susceptible ie pre 2003. I don't know of anyone with a ZCP that had sub-frame problems, then again those cars are rare but I still haven't read of any documented cases associated with ZCP's. Now, I just want to make sure this issue doesn't plague the ZCP before I commit, otherwise I would have to seriously consider the E92 M3 despite its awkward looks and my non-desire for a V8.

PS. I just remembered about the class action lawsuit regarding the subframe issue from a letter I received July of last year. See link for details....

http://www.e46subframeclassactionsettlement.com/

1. All e46s are doomed it's just a function of (time, driving style, tracking, suspension) and zcp means nothing because there is no reinforcement of any type it's just an option package
    2. This is not a rare problem

3. Mr.Pinchy

Mr.Pinchy Well-Known Member

I just added a 2007 Porsche Cayman S in Atlas Gray to my garage. I'll post pics once we escape from the blizzard conditions. A Borla racing exhaust system will be added shortly. [​IMG]

Preview (I've upgraded the yellow/orange side-markers to clear):

[​IMG]

Nice car. Don't modify it. You want a good reliable Porsche.

4. rocks

rocks Well-Known Member

I see, hopefully my E46 sub-frame stays in-tact before I retire it....consequently, I will have to get the E92 M3 in a year or so, or until the current mechanical and electrical issues those cars are plagued with are addressed. There's nothing else out there that entices me as well as fit my budget.

5. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let the subframe issue scare you off if you're prepared to deal with it or if you find a car that has it fixed already. Mine went relatively early in its life, and BMW fixed it for me (under warranty) with a reinforcement (instead of the later, cheaper fix which sprayed some foam in the area). Turner Motorsports, as mentioned earlier, has a reinforcement kit that is said to work well, too.

Any car will have its issues --- you should know about them beforehand and decide whether you can live with them. BTW, the E46 also has issues with deforming or breaking the front strut towers especially in cars without strut bars. The strut bar itself doesn't prevent the damage, but the plates used to hold them on act as reinforcements.

--Andre

6. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Rocks, speaking as a former die-hard bmw loyalist I would advise you to just stay away from bmws going forward. My friends and I are all sick of the tireless nonsense we've had to put up with over the years and we have extremely high tolerances for this stuff. No other carmaker has designed so many components to fail intentionally over time.

7. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

Rocks, speaking as a former die-hard bmw loyalist I would advise you to just stay away from bmws going forward. My friends and I are all sick of the tireless nonsense we've had to put up with over the years and we have extremely high tolerances for this stuff. No other carmaker has designed so many components to fail intentionally over time.

You mean that stupid, little, automated plastic arm that hands you your seat belt in the new e92s won't last forever?! [​IMG]

8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

^God that's gotta be the dumbest feature I've ever seen. I love my e46 but I will never own another bmw out of warranty.

You've got to worry about:
    -interior trim cracking
    -window seals coming unglued (they finally fixed this)
    -hvac panel failing
    -alternator failing twice
    -coils going bad
    -plastic cooling system components failing
    -muffler hangers tearing
    -dimming mirror failing
    -sub-frame issues
    -front strut tower issues
    -oil leak from constant pressure valve

off the top of my head

9. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

^God that's gotta be the dumbest feature I've ever seen. I love my e46 but I will never own another bmw out of warranty.

I almost broke one of those arms when getting into a student's M3, and I quickly reached for the seat belt like usual.

10. rocks

rocks Well-Known Member

Ahh, this is sad, I was just hoping for the better since I consider myself a loyal bimmer fanatic. I have been reading about the problems with the E92 M3 from owners over at M3Forum and was hoping for optimism. The only other cars I could substitute are the Cayman or 997 911 and if I am going to buy a Porsche I will have to wait 2 more years. I like to be proactive though, so that's fine. So Jet and AY, what do you guys think of these two aforementioned cars. I know nothing about Porsche reliability....And Jet, what cars are you looking at upgrading to (I know I can't afford what you have in mind; however, I am curious) Tia......

11. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I almost broke one of those arms when getting into a student's M3, and I quickly reached for the seat belt like usual.

[​IMG]

Rocks if you have your heart set on the e46 m3 I would get one of the latest examples produced (ie 2006) you can find as the minor annoyances have mostly been fixed by superceded/updated parts such as the dimming mirror, window seals, alum trim, newer alternators by diff manufacturers, newer climate control panels, ERA coils etc but cooling system issues which aren't a big deal and subframe/strut tower issues will be a cloud over your head no matter what.

I have no plans to change cars as of yet and plan on driving my e46 until the wheels fall off. I am no porschephile like my friends but when the time comes probably a next gen gt3.

12. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

The only other cars I could substitute are the Cayman or 997 911 and if I am going to buy a Porsche I will have to wait 2 more years.

I have a Cayman, and I love it. It is not without its issues, but of all the sports cars you can buy, Porsches tend to be one of the more reliable ones. Be aware that the Cayman just underwent a significant engine change, so you may want to wait that out.

These are the E46 issues I've had in about 120K of driving and maybe 5K of track time:

- coolant thermostat x2
    - door lock actuator on driver's side died
    - 1 fuel sender died
    - falling interior trim
    - suspension bushings dying (control arms and rear shock mounts)
    - rear subframe failure
    - moonroof plastic cartridge broke
    - exhaust valve position sensor died

I preemptively replaced the water pump with a Stewart EMP, which is supposedly unbreakable, and the RSMs with Ground Controls. The shocks and springs have been replaced for a while now, but those die after a while on any car. There've been a couple of random bulb failures, mostly indicator lights burning out. My VANOS seals probably need to be replaced, but I haven't gotten around to that. I'm crossing my fingers for my radiator as it's still the original one. Oh yeah, someone stole the roundel off my hood once, so that's been replaced.

An M3 uses different components, and you may see different kinds of failures related to the engine and suspension. Anyway, the E46 is a lovely car, and for me worth the trouble of spending maybe $1K/year to keep it going.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money but want a fun ride, try to find a low-mileage E36 M3, or one that's been restored to factory condition suspension and engine. It's one of the best balanced cars you can get with no mods, and its failure points are well-known and relatively easy to fix.

--Andre

13. rocks

rocks Well-Known Member

Thanks guys...all points noted.

14. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

Am I crazy for thinking about getting a '04-'06 E46 M3 while still in grad school? There is everything right with this car and for what it is, I haven't seen terrible reports of problems in the later generations. I'm been perusing bimmerfest for info.

EDIT: The subframe issue is a problem for all E46 cars right? Not just the M?

15. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Am I crazy for thinking about getting a '04-'06 E46 M3 while still in grad school? There is everything right with this car and for what it is, I haven't seen terrible reports of problems in the later generations. I'm been perusing bimmerfest for info. EDIT: The subframe issue is a problem for all E46 cars right? Not just the M?
    I think it's a great looking car, and will be through the years. I know nothing of its reliability though.

16. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Am I crazy for thinking about getting a '04-'06 E46 M3 while still in grad school? There is everything right with this car and for what it is, I haven't seen terrible reports of problems in the later generations. I'm been perusing bimmerfest for info.

EDIT: The subframe issue is a problem for all E46 cars right? Not just the M?

How much disposable income do you have? The M3 is a high performance car, and its maintenance bills will reflect that.

--Andre

17. ramuman

ramuman Well-Known Member

I think it's a great looking car, and will be through the years. I know nothing of its reliability though.
    Well I could've told you that...and how it drives [​IMG]. I'm looking at the 2003.5 onwards with relatively low miles.
    How much disposable income do you have? The M3 is a high performance car, and its maintenance bills will reflect that. --Andre
    That's a bad question to ask a Ph.D student. I'd fund this partially through savings I have from prior to entering grad school and might take out a loan for ~$300-400 a month which I could afford (all assuming a 20-25k purchase price). I expect to be out of school in about a year and should be moving so I'd likely sell the car at that point. Basically it's a gift to myself for being fairly prudent for 27 years of my life. I put very low miles (~4-5k a year) so I'd try to get a car that didn't need anything major like tires and try to skirt around the major Inspection I/II. As far as regular maintenance like oil changes, fluid flushes, I've been doing that on my cars since I was 16 so I'd be comfortable doing that here - the forums suggest this is certainly possible though the parts will have a premium. I'd also mentally build into the purchase price a rainy day repair or two. Something like this: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

18. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I put very low miles (~4-5k a year) so I'd try to get a car that didn't need anything major like tires and try to skirt around the major Inspection I/II. As far as regular maintenance like oil changes, fluid flushes, I've been doing that on my cars since I was 16 so I'd be comfortable doing that here - the forums suggest this is certainly possible though the parts will have a premium. I'd also mentally build into the purchase price a rainy day repair or two.

I admit that it was a rhetorical question. [​IMG] I always hate to see cars like that undermaintained, so you can guess what I'll say already! The E36 M3 is available for much cheaper, and maintenance is much lower, too, since its engine and various parts aren't quite as exotic as its older and younger M3 siblings. It's also more fun stock than the E46 M3.

--Andre

19. spertia

spertia Well-Known Member

Just picked up this pristine '02 e39 M-Sport and absolutely love it:

[​IMG]

Here is what my carport now looks like:

[​IMG]

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

^^^A very nice looking addition. They look great together. Enjoy!