1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Caterham continues marching to a different drummer :satisfied:

[​IMG]

The current 620R for comparo:

[​IMG]

Which leads to:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

^ Technically that last image of Clarkson's face being destroyed is from the Ariel Atom.

That concept looks pretty sharp, despite the sneaker color scheme.

3. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

4. Cary Grant

5. MarkI

MarkI Well-Known Member

I like how the Russian driver just casually lights up a smoke after the Lambo has blown up.

6. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

7. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

unfunny and really irritating. plus someone's bound to misinterpret his intentions and blow him away as he approaches

1 person likes this.
  8. Cary Grant

Yep. Another example of a sick culture- when rudeness and idiocy are celebrated.

1 person likes this.
  9. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Returning home from a few days away my Cayanne S developed transmission issues again. So, I am getting it fixed and planning to sell it. Fortunately there is good demand for luxury SUV's in this area.

But now, what to buy or perhaps lease? I may be commuting 60 miles r/t daily for the first time ever so I want something steady, practical and comfortable to drive.

I'm considering an Audi A4 (the A3 is attractive and sporty but I feel too cramped inside) and thought I would investigate the new Mercedes CLA Coupe. Both of these are base price around $30-$32K which I know means 10% + more. I don't fit in any Infinity (too tall, long torso). The Acura TL looks awesome on paper but not at all attractive to my eyes.

Here are my needs/wants:

1) no more full size SUV
    2) Want something with decent power but it doesn't need to be high performance.
    3) maybe as much as 18K a year in milage
    4) considering a lease so I can turn it in, in 3 years
    5) don't need SUV type room in a car but want a bit more room that say a VW GTI (already own an R32)
    6) in the $30-35K range

I would consider a used car too.

Any suggestions?

10. darnelled

darnelled Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a 1-2 year old Audi S5 (V8). I also considered many others in the same price range, power, speed and with a back seat.
    E63 AMG - great raw power, interior is nice, but I don't like the exterior much.
    Caddy CTS-V- great power, hate the interior, exterior looks too angular for me and the fit/finish and layout way below anything of Europe or Japan.
    M3= great for the track, but looks too much like other BMW 3 series. Interior was just okay IMO.
    Lexus ISF- reliable, great sounding motor, power, interior is good, but I couldn't get over the upshift dinging reminder. Maybe there is a way to defeat it, but cannot find out how.
    Mustang GT and Chevy Camaro both have horrible interiors. I cannot believe domestic car engineers don't take some hints from foreign cars. They simply look 20 years out of date.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

PSG get an a6 or a 5 series.

If you guys get the 3.0tdi Audi engine I would get one of those, just make sure it's a new one and not the old pd engine, that sounds like a tractor.

12. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Get the RS5 instead. The S5 doesn't hold a candle to the first 3 cars on your list. It feels more like a 335i competitor to me tbh.

And if you're able to go with Audi S/RS, M's, AMG or CtSV, don't know why you would even consider the Lexus or the pony cars

13. jet

jet Well-Known Member

too bad no manual on rs5

14. Cary Grant

In < ten years there'll be none on any mass-produced vehicle... Porsche put the last nail in that one.

And with many of them experimenting with transmission-less cars... well...

15. Cary Grant

Wait- didn't the RS5 only become available as a 2013? They're almost 20k more than and 2 years old E63... at least around here. What few RS5's are around that are technically used are around $80...

16. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Doubtful.

17. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

You are right, but i wasn't clear about his budget. The new RS5 is the price of a new E63, if buying new is an option. The point I was more interested in making is that I find the equally priced S5 inferior to the others mentioned.

I too think that the manual's days are numbered. What a shame, because I've usually had at least one manual car in the garage. guess I have to really take care of my current 997 GT3! I inquired with my dealer about placing an order for the 991 GT3, but backed out when I was told it was pdk only. Don't know if I wouldn't buy one later, but for now, I'm not interested.

Funny enough, the one sporting car maker that is totally losing its way about making sports cars (BMW) is the one that's still committed to offering manuals

18. Cary Grant

Doubtful on which point? And let's not count Lambo, Ferrari etc as massed produced. But Ferrari said in 2010 the California was likely the last with a manual. And less than 5% of Lambos are ordered with manuals. Ford dropped sticks out of their big selling F150 in 2008.

The car companies to a person have all largely acknowledged that current auto Tx's shift smoother and faster than stick and the increasingly tiny audience for a manual tx is too little incentive and too much hassle for them. Some makers had to be talked into, again, keeping some manual offerings. Not saying I like it, but that ship has sailed.

And with Porsche and Honda's experiments on per-wheel drive systems, synced digitally, the tx becomes superfluous.... But that's not in ten years.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  19. Cary Grant

20. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Not a surprise, but still makes me a little sad 8-(